• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

16 inch 5 holes wheels.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Ok some one told my running Buddy that 16'' wheels off a van would not work on his Bronco if he has the disk brake setup on it... He does.. So do you know if 16 from a van will work or not . He has a chevy set up.for his disk.
... They also told him that wheels from a 1995 dodge 4x4 with 16 will work anyone have any thought on that one. I told him those dodge wheels would be too hard to find most likely.
.... We have not been able to find him a set of skinny 16's for his Bronco.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Dodge wheels are well known for having too small of a centering hole. Some have been machined out to work.

The E150 16's are hard to find. Apparently they were only used for a couple of years (which years I don't know). The last E150 I had my hands on had 8 lug wheels.

I would love to find a set of 16" 5x5½ wheels for my F150 utility trailer. That way I could use my daily driver take offs (worn tread, good sidewalls) to keep fresh tires on the trailer. The last 3 maypops have all popped where the trailer sits now (that included the spare).

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
05 and up dodge dakotas, 94 up 1/2 ton rams 2wd/4wd all used 16in rims with the 5 on 5 1/2 but hub bore size may be a issue with a lot of dodge rims. You could get the bores opened up to fit though.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
Aftermarket has them. I had a set that came with a truck that was given to me. They were from a 96 1500 Dodge 4x4. The center hole was correct. Might be cheaper and safer to go that route. The Dodge factory steel wheels have a lot of back spacing, and once the hole is trimmed out, there is not enough metal in my opinion(Dodge wheels use thinner metal). Besides, the last time I had the machine shop in S'ville ream some wheels for me, they charged 50 bucks a wheel(the wheels were from an 85 F350, going on and 89, and the hubs were wider) I think you can get whit or black wagon wheels for about 70 bucks each brand new

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well turning the hole in the center is no problem for us as he has the lathe to do it for free.. Free as paying his employees to do them so that part is not a problem but how about the wheel coming in contact with caliper ass.
... We didn't want to spend the 70 bucks a pop but may still have to .. One of the members here had a set during the winter but he was snowed in and hasn't answered.. E Mails since.
Any more thoughts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did he say why they would interfere with disc calipers? If 15" wheels fit with them no problem, I have a hard time believing any normal 16 would hit. Unless it's an offset issue, but even then, I can't quite picture what the problem would be.
Maybe the design of the center stamping (or aluminum casting) is such that too much material in inboard in the hub area, and hits something. That would explain why a 16" would hit, while a 15" would fit.

Paul

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
Am I wrong in thinking that any F150 or E150 5 bolt wheel will NOT work on a pre 1997 Ford product? The metric size is close, but no cigar. Or are the vans still 5x5 1/2?
As far as the caliper interference, I can see how the offset on a factory dodge rim may interfere with the brake caliper. Not neccesarily on the top(outer edge), but on the caliper horozontal surface, next to the inside rim face.
I'd say get on from Parhams, and mil the center and try. A few of us would like to know

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Only the F150 went metric in '97. The E-series is still old. Steve states '04 and newer are the 16" 5-lug. But I remember we got an E150 last year at work and was surprised it had 8-lug wheels. So I know there are a few more qualifiers to it other then just "'04 and newer E150", but don't know what they are.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I have some 16 inch tires I would like to use and I am looking as well. don't want ot spend much either since I will be going with bigger tires and have nice rims for that at a later date. I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks Papitt for bringing this up. I do not have to deal with the caliper issue though as I am still drum up front.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm like the rest of you guys I don't think the 16s are going to hit the calipers either. He is going to go to the wrecking yard and get 2 rims tomorrow. Then well mount one an see what we have. Maybe after the week end we'll have an answer.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I had wheels made by Stockton wheel. They took Chevy 15" stock truck rally wheels and made them into 16s. Very nice work.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
Papitt, Stockton was never consistant with returning calls, and their price list they sent me had the factory style 16" steel wheel priced at $120 each plus shipping, and that was ten years ago. I think Southwest Wheel is still in FT Worth, and may have them available. I'm going to ask them down here in Corpus this week, if I get into town again.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK today the guy that runs Parhams wrecking yard gave my Running Buddy 5 95 dodge 16's wheels for $200.00 also gave him a bent wheel to turn the center 1st and see if they will fit over the calipers. I can not see how they'll not slip over the calipers.
....He also wants to paint the chrome overlay Black on these wheels. Any tips on how to prep them for paint. I think he still has my sand blaster at his shop. Will that be the best. Someone else said start sanding with 80 grit.