• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 and Dana 20 leaks

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
Finally got the Bronco mechanically sound enough to put it through it's paces before getting it on the road full time. Problem is, when i bring it back in the garage from the ol neighborhood street trials, it'll leave pretty good puddles of gear oil and transmission fluid on the garage floor. I've cleaned the fluids from underneath it after i park it and let it sit 5-10 minutes and it absolutely doesn't leak when it's parked, only immediately after a run. Could the fluid levels be to high and it's expelling the extra? I'm running a Lokar fill tube for the C4 so I don't know if it's the most accurate. Just wondering if this is normal and whether or not I need to drain some fluids or let it happen naturally.There is no real vissble point of where the leaks start except for it coming from the "top" somewhere. Sorry this is long winded.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Check the fluid level in the transfer case. If a whole lot of oil comes just a gushing out of the transfer case fill hole, chances are you need to replace the double lipped seal in the transfer case adapter. What happens is the leaky seal lets the transmission leak into the transfer case. The transfer case gets so full , it overflows onto the floor.

OP
OP
SWFLABRONCO

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
I thought about that and that seal was replaced during the rebuild. The puddles are also seperate gear oil and tranny fluid leaks. The two aren't mixed together like they would be if the tranny was leaking back into the tc. I'll check the fluid level on the tc to be on the safe side though.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A C4 will leak out of the top if it is over filled. I'm not sure how you would over fill a D20 unless you added an elbow to the filler hole. I have seen people do this but I'm not sure why.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Good luck getting the C4 to stop leaking!!! I had my wifes rebuilt and it still leaks, I have had three differant C4s and all of them have leaked!!!!! Check around the shift linkage a few of mine have leaked from there. And as said sounds like they may be a little over full!

OP
OP
SWFLABRONCO

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
No elbow on the 20. I'm hoping they are overfull. Both units were completely gone through and rebuilt prior to installing them. I'll drive it for a while and continue to watch what I lose compared to the remaining fluid levels. My hope is that with use, the leaks lessen. I can live with a few drips here or there but the puddles seem a little excessive at the moment.

ddm156

I am having the same issue right now - my dilemma is I don't know whether to put my money into trying to fix the leaks on the trans or buy a radio and some speakers. I took mine to an ammco in town and they recommend a complete reseal for my transmission, which will come in around $1000. I definitely do have a leak from my shift linkage, which I've tried fixing several times with different size o-rings with no success. I feel your pain. Its pretty embarrassing to have your truck burp oil all over somebodys driveway, especially after we sink all of this time and money into them. I think I might just keep researching and consider resealing myself over the winter.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I am having the same issue right now - my dilemma is I don't know whether to put my money into trying to fix the leaks on the trans or buy a radio and some speakers. I took mine to an ammco in town and they recommend a complete reseal for my transmission, which will come in around $1000. I definitely do have a leak from my shift linkage, which I've tried fixing several times with different size o-rings with no success. I feel your pain. Its pretty embarrassing to have your truck burp oil all over somebodys driveway, especially after we sink all of this time and money into them. I think I might just keep researching and consider resealing myself over the winter.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164443

OP
OP
SWFLABRONCO

SWFLABRONCO

Loc.
Cape Coral, Fl
Thanks Viperwolf,
I thought of this thread and actually looked to see if that was where it was coming from. It didn't appear that it was, but I'll take a better look at it tonight.

ddm156

I just drip a little after running (from more than one spot) once it cools down it holds the fluid. Did you install all of your seals and let the truck sit a while? I've heard that sometimes that is a bad thing, the seals sit dry too long and crack.

thanks x2 viperwolf, that will come in handy. I have my kickdown removed, so maybe thats part of my problem at the nss.