• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Unhooked twin sticks

abuffington

Hey Fellas- This is my first forum post. I have been an EB owner for just under 3 months now and just want to say there are some smart people on here. Lots of old forums have helped me troubleshoot along the way. Also shout out to Nick Menudier for some help when I broke down in front of his shop. (Friday at 5 before memorial day weekend!)

That being said... I am stumped on a lingering PO problem. I bought a '72 in May that had WH twin sticks on the floor (Circa 2008) that were disconnected (2WD Rear engaged) on a Dana 20 T case

I finally got around to taking a look at them today. I bought the thru bolt from wild horses for the NV3550 thinking I definitely needed that. The bolt fits through the sticks but I cant find a spot that fits the threads?

See attached photos. There is a bracket in there that has two threaded holes but it also looks like its been cut. Am I missing a part? I want to get these sticks usable!!

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 109

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
website only shows some bolts, but behind it does look like a small flat plate? i have the 4500 and think it did have a bracket.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...-Case-Shifter-NV-3550/Bronco_Dana_20_Shifters

Call them?

That and the way you have them in the picture is 90 degrees out of alignment. The two big holes are where that one bolt goes through both of them, mine had a copper type washer between everything to adjust drag when you tighten it all up.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
The adapter bracket that is bolted on the trans to transfer case has the threaded hole in it. You can see it in your last two pictures. That shoulder bolt will go through the two shifter arms and thread into that bracket. Might have to run a tap through it. Ken

Mitche11

Ken is right. The hole that has rusted on the bracket bolted to the transfer case is where you attach the WH bolt. Run it through the hole by itself to make sure it threads. A little threadlocker wouldn’t hurt...
Mitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitche11

I just looked closer at your pics, and it looks like your bracket doesn’t have threads in the hole... If you have a welder, you can just weld a nut to the bracket that matches the threads of your pivot bolt, or you can call JB Custom Fabrication and order just the bracket you need. Their number is tel:(503) 749-3099, or you can email them, which is their preferred contact method. jonb@jbfab.net. Good luck!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
..It's been 10+ years since I did my twin sticks. But In my mine that bolt looks short.
My 1st thought was my bolt was 6 inches long.
.. Some one else is it correct.

Mitche11

I installed mine this last Feb. My bolt was more like 3” long. 6” would have hit my tunnel.
Hope this helps.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It looks like two issues...

Note: those shifter were not manufactured buy us....

The shifters you have are for a stock setup, you have a an NV3550. My guess is the PO tried to make them work by modifying the bracket. We manufacture, (and Wild Horses carries) a shifter for that application that has the correct geometry and adjustable spherical rod-end linkages.

JB Custom Fabrication Part # EB20T T-2

The bracket can be purchased directly from AA, or Wild Horses might have it too.

AA part number 715544 SHIFTER LINKAGE BRACKET

Jon

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
It looks like two issues...

Note: those shifter were not manufactured buy us....

The shifters you have are for a stock setup, you have a an NV3550. My guess is the PO tried to make them work by modifying the bracket. We manufacture, (and Wild Horses carries) a shifter for that application that has the correct geometry and adjustable spherical rod-end linkages.

JB Custom Fabrication Part # EB20T T-2

The bracket can be purchased directly from AA, or Wild Horses might have it too.

AA part number 715544 SHIFTER LINKAGE BRACKET

Jon
These are a nice product. Very well made. Ken