• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gauge cluster refurbishing

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
count me in. suggestions on best way to remove the cluster? i usually do things the hard way and break others things while im there. you should see the china cabinet!!

I remove the spedo as follows:
Undo the spedo cable from the back of the cluster.
Undo the 4 screws on the front holding the cluster into the dash.
Now pushing on the metal ring around the glass (not on the glass itself) push the cluster into the dash.
Angle the cluster face down.
Reach in through the open hole and pull the wires (it is a good idea to mark the wires so you know where everything goes later.
The bulb sockets just pull straight out (no twisting!!!!!!!!)
Slide the cluster out from under the dash.

Take your time and don't rush it, If you have any problems stop and give me a call 801-673-2933

Thank you,

Kevin

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
My gauge cluster is done and wow, what a difference. Great job Kevin, thanks so much. I can't wait to see it in person and in my dash.

Attachments

• Cluster Before.jpg
    Cluster Before.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 779
  • Cluster After.jpg
    Cluster After.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 892

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
looks great, will be in touch in a few weeks

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
Would you work on some 60s model Chris craft guages. There are very few people who do a nd they're usually backed up for months?

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Would you work on some 60s model Chris craft guages. There are very few people who do a nd they're usually backed up for months?

Absolutely but they are a bit more complicated than a Bronco so I can't give you a quote until I take a look at it. You are welcome to send it to me and I will check it out and we can go from there.

Kevin

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
31552587932_8d84b8fec4_h.jpg

31552589852_84a9034425_h.jpg

Last edited:

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Just got my cluster back from Kevin and as you can see he did an awesome job. My cluster wasn't too bad but Kevin really made it look nice, and he only had it a few days.
Good as new.

Attachments

• P9130008.jpg
    P9130008.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 474
  • P9130003.jpg
    P9130003.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 526

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Man Kevin, your staying busy huh? Glad to see that and can't wait to see mine. I'm guessing it's 13,000 feet right now ;)

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
nice job, have a partial one (apart already) would that work as well?

benderkevin

Loc.
Queen Creek
Hi Kevin,

I took my speedo/gauge cluster apart last night and saw that the round circular part that sits right above the odometer has been riding on the odometer and has rubbed the paint off of two of the number wheels and has worn down one end of the odometer "roll".

It also looks like the plastic gear is boggered up and two of the four cast head pins are broke. I'm assumung thats what allows it to lean and rub.

So my question to you is. What would it be to replace or rebuild this one.

The rool and gears are shot. I guess I could make something for the pins. And the head really needs to be oiled. It is really sticky.

OP
OP
fallingdown

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hi Kevin,

I took my speedo/gauge cluster apart last night and saw that the round circular part that sits right above the odometer has been riding on the odometer and has rubbed the paint off of two of the number wheels and has worn down one end of the odometer "roll".

It also looks like the plastic gear is boggered up and two of the four cast head pins are broke. I'm assumung thats what allows it to lean and rub.

So my question to you is. What would it be to replace or rebuild this one.

The rool and gears are shot. I guess I could make something for the pins. And the head really needs to be oiled. It is really sticky.

I would have to take a look at your cluster to be sure, but it sounds like the head pins, odometer drum and gear just need replacing. There would be a small fee for the parts but the installation and labor are included in the $50.00 refurbishing fee. I would be happy to take care of it for you.

Thank you,

Kevin