• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Third times a charm v3.0

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Nice find and good luck with it! Gonna look good cut but I would have a hard time cutting that as well but to each his own. I was lucky, I found a diamond in the rough from AZ and it was already cut in back so that made trimming the excess alot easier! ;D

J-man

Loc.
Holladay, UT
Don't cut that beauty run some tall skinnys and look bad ass. Do a 3.5 SL 1" body and 33x10.5 toyo's. I regretted cutting one of my broncos, probably never again unless I build a straight up crawler.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Don't cut that beauty run some tall skinnys and look bad ass. Do a 3.5 SL 1" body and 33x10.5 toyo's. I regretted cutting one of my broncos, probably never again unless I build a straight up crawler.

I keep going back and forth with it. As of now I think I'm cutting. I like both looks, but cut fenders are the way to go with what I'm going to do with it.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
It was nice this weekend so I pulled it out of the barn so we could work in the sunshine

97e3f702.jpg

Once the dash was out it was much easier cleaning everything up. The gauge cluster is in the mail being sent to Kevin. After the wiring is cleaned up I'll start on the dash. We started in the engine bay and we're working our way inside. We removed all of the wiring coming through the middle of the firewall. Now everything runs out each side. That really cleaned everything up. We removed all of the wires out of the harness that were not needed anymore. Still have some work to do inside.

5abaf28a.jpg

I will have all of the electronics in a waterproof box soon.

6495797b.jpg

55822a48.jpg

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I really like how you routed the wiring away from the center of the firewall, wishing I had done that now. Wiring looks neat as well.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It was nice this weekend so I pulled it out of the barn so we could work in the sunshine

I'm the same way I would much rather be working outside of the garage, I have good lighting but just like being in the natural light. Wiring looking much better, nice work.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I really like how you routed the wiring away from the center of the firewall, wishing I had done that now. Wiring looks neat as well.

Thanks. It was fairly easy to move them over. We had to add some length to a few wires and that was it. Now we're moving into the cab. It's tough because I can only work on it a few days a week. It's difficult getting things done that way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Completed the dash rewire for now. When I get my cluster back I will clean up a few more things. I removed everything that was not needed, repaired wires that were damaged and wrapped everything back up. I couldn't find the correct size loom so I still need to locate that.

4011e213.jpg

2f6b3da3.jpg

I also rebuilt my heater box using the upgraded motor and cage from Napa. I'll have a few pics of that soon. It looks really good.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Making a little more progress.

My gauge cluster will be shipped back from Kevin soon. He did the refurbish, voltmeter conversion, new temp guage, replaced speedo spring because it was worn out, and added a blue lens for the headlight indicator.

a20c8ef7.jpg

I should be cutting up my dash and filling in holes soon so I can put it back in.

For those that didn't see the other pictures of the Bronco BBQ we had yesterday.

f550d7ca.jpg

3fcdf180.jpg

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the dash opened up, make sure to splice in some pigtails for gauge lights while you are there. If you are going to put any additional "dome" lights that you want connected to the factory headlight switch, now is a great time to do that too.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
With the dash opened up, make sure to splice in some pigtails for gauge lights while you are there. If you are going to put any additional "dome" lights that you want connected to the factory headlight switch, now is a great time to do that too.

I have leads there for the stereo, dome light, and phone charger. I have BC's LED gauge cluster and dash lights ready to go in when I reinstall the dash. Until I'm ready to do a complete frame off and build my own harness, I will use an auxiliary panel to run a few other things.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Made a little progress the past few days, but I've also had a setback. After I thought my wiring was finished I realized my fuse box is bad. I have a painless 20 circuit fuse box on order so I'll get that done soon.

I had some down time so I had my window cranks and door strap brackets powder coated. I also painted the door panels for now and installed new arm rests.

a55761ea.jpg

Installed hood pins and hood shocks. The hood on my last Bronco slammed shut on my head, knocking me out and gashed open my face which required stitches. Cheap insurance.

869aa301.jpg

f554952d.jpg

Rebuilt my heater box with the upgraded motor and cage

ead29642.jpg

Started cutting up my dash for the glove box mod and to fill in all the holes that won't be needed

db960670.jpg

I'm buying steel tomorrow to finish the dash.

Last edited:

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Jaromy,I looked back at some of the first pics...what a difference! Door panels look good. Can't wait to see the dash,I think your glove box needed some help.:eek: I had a good time up there,we'll have to do it again.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Jaromy,I looked back at some of the first pics...what a difference! Door panels look good. Can't wait to see the dash,I think your glove box needed some help.:eek: I had a good time up there,we'll have to do it again.

Thanks Mike. It's been a labor of love. When I have some down time while I wait for parts, I try to get smaller projects done. My dash will be brand new when it's finished. I've ordered every new piece possible to use when I put it back together. I can't wait to put my new Tom's steering wheel on.

My inspiration came from your dash

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Nice job on the rewire and the dash is lookin good! Are you gonna remove the Ash tray?

Nice little Roundup you had there for the BBQ! Looked like a good time for sure and Oregon looks like it has some awesome scenery! Keep it up. ;D

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Nice job on the rewire and the dash is lookin good! Are you gonna remove the Ash tray?

Nice little Roundup you had there for the BBQ! Looked like a good time for sure and Oregon looks like it has some awesome scenery! Keep it up. ;D

Thank you! The wiring will be a little different now that I have the Painless fuse box coming. I'll be putting it in a box on the inner fender along with the MSD, circuit breaker and solenoid.

I'm not sure about the ash tray yet. I'll never use it, but for some reason I was thinking about keeping it. It will probably look better without it.

The BBQ was fun. We have another on coming up in a few weeks. Hopefully the weather is just as nice as it was last weekend.

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I haven't driven it much, but when I do, it has a vibration coming from the drivetrain. I took a few measurements and it looks like my pinion is at 10* and my driveline is at 20*. I have 2" blocks in the rear now, but they will be replaced with 3.5" leafs soon.

photo.jpg

I ordered a driveline rebuild kit and new spring pads coming from Rough Stuff. Hopefully that will solve the issue. The reading I've done said the pinion should be a few degrees lower than the DS. Is it best to take that measurement with the hardtop on, cage in and tank full? If so, what happens to the angle when I have the hard top off, low on fuel...?

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
^ I think that's where the few degrees of difference comes in. Under heavy load your drive shaft and pinion angle will be a close match, but under light load you have just a few degrees of separation.