• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Update from the Busted Knuckle Garage - After the Fire

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Yes, I used the metal lines.

But due to the flow, you cannot use a standard Bronco control valve.

Murray 74627 heater control valve is the standard Bronco
Murray 74628 is the one you want to use.

Here is a Pic

Attachments

• DSCN3957.jpg
    DSCN3957.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Great tip, 904 Bronco! Much appreciated. And now I know which way my lines should run. Gracias! B2

JSmall

Bronco Guru

Here is a Pic

Doug, does that mean I can't use the one from VA that I linked above?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Doug, does that mean I can't use the one from VA that I linked above?

No.

That valve you linked probably has a flow direction... and it can be rotated to work from either port.

I am controlling the flow to the heater core with mine, so in order to have the cable control pointing in the right direction, work correctly, and have the coolant flow correct (coolant flows from the upper intake back to the water pump) I had to use this valve.

Doug

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor

Here is a Pic

Hey Doug,
Where did you pick up those cool molded heater lines? I have one for the return that will work, but I'd like to source the two that the valve is in.

Thanks and got the PCM window cut this weekend and test fit the engine!

Cheers, Bill

Attachments

• 1PCM_Mock.JPG
    1PCM_Mock.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 4PCM_Harness.JPG
    4PCM_Harness.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 9.1Engine2.jpg
    9.1Engine2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 9.2Engine3.JPG
    9.2Engine3.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 75

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Hey Doug,
Where did you pick up those cool molded heater lines? I have one for the return that will work, but I'd like to source the two that the valve is in.

Thanks and got the PCM window cut this weekend and test fit the engine!

Cheers, Bill

I am going to have to dig up those numbers, I took a few hoses home and made them work by cutting sections out of them. I believe most of them were Gates... And I have found that other manufacture's are not exactly the same...

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
I am going to have to dig up those numbers, I took a few hoses home and made them work by cutting sections out of them. I believe most of them were Gates... And I have found that other manufacture's are not exactly the same...

Thanks Doug,
Don't spend too much time searching. I'll print the photo you posted and can probably find something from there. Appreciate the help! B2

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Making headway, slowly but surely. Wiring harnesses are complete and I just need to run my wires into the cab and hook them up. I think my original harness, dubbed "Old Crusty", came out pretty good. Once I have it hooked up in the cab, it'll time to pull the engine, hook up the tranny and re-install. Fingers crossed that it'll start!

I'll be needing to add 3 switch panel to operate the high idle function, fog lights and on board air. Don't want to cut the dash, so does anyone have suggestions for an add on panel?

Thanks, B2

Attachments

• Harness4.JPG
    Harness4.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Harness3.JPG
    Harness3.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Harness1.JPG
    Harness1.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 99
  • Fire3.JPG
    Fire3.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 98

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Looking good!

I'll be needing to add 3 switch panel to operate the high idle function, fog lights and on board air. Don't want to cut the dash, so does anyone have suggestions for an add on panel?

Thanks, B2

I would suggest glove box * If you still have one
or
Center counsel * If you got one...

Aloha

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice work chief....

Making headway, slowly but surely. Wiring harnesses are complete and I just need to run my wires into the cab and hook them up. I think my original harness, dubbed "Old Crusty", came out pretty good. Once I have it hooked up in the cab, it'll time to pull the engine, hook up the tranny and re-install. Fingers crossed that it'll start!

Thanks, B2

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
I would suggest glove box * If you still have one
or Center counsel * If you got one...
Aloha

OOoooo......Good call, Local Boy! I'm thinking the Tuffy Console would be a pretty slick location for those switches. Thanks for the tip....I gotta take some measurements! Feeling bad for the peeps on the Big Island. Hope all turns out okay.

Cheers, B2

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Have made HUGE progress in the past couple of weeks and she's up and running! Took me a while to figure out that my coil pack terminals were not fully seating in the connector, but once I got past that she fired right up. Then, in a Ju-Jitsu tease move and after getting EVERYTHING buttoned up, my clutch slave cylinder decided to go belly up from just sitting on a shelf for 6 months. (WTF?!)

I found a 3 gang rocker panel plate that fit perfectly in the ash tray opening. (No cutting of the dash, WooHoo!) Did the ViperWolf mod to the throttle cable setup and looks like it is going to work well. (thanks, Viper!) Need to find a stronger return spring, but I think that's about it. (other than putting everything back together, AGAIN!)

My first time trying to post a video, but we'll see if it takes. Don't have much else to report, other than it's been an expensive journey! haha Cheers, B2
https://www.facebook.com/bill.bell.520/videos/10216872658711024/?t=33

Attachments

• Slave1.jpg
    Slave1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 4Vipermodom.JPG
    4Vipermodom.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 2ViperMod1.jpg
    2ViperMod1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7385.JPG
    IMG_7385.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Panel3.JPG
    Panel3.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Panel2.JPG
    Panel2.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Panel1.jpg
    Panel1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 77
  • FinalSetUp.JPG
    FinalSetUp.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 79
  • PSide.JPG
    PSide.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 1Winch.JPG
    1Winch.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Couldn't do much until the slave gets here, but managed to get the brake line to the rear axle finished with no leaks and since all this crap started with an engine fire, got a couple of extinguishers mounted. (not sure how I'm going to keep them theft proof)
Cheers, B2

Attachments

• 5FireExt.JPG
    5FireExt.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 50

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Have made HUGE progress in the past couple of weeks and she's up and running! Took me a while to figure out that my coil pack terminals were not fully seating in the connector, but once I got past that she fired right up. Then, in a Ju-Jitsu tease move and after getting EVERYTHING buttoned up, my clutch slave cylinder decided to go belly up from just sitting on a shelf for 6 months. (WTF?!)

I found a 3 gang rocker panel plate that fit perfectly in the ash tray opening. (No cutting of the dash, WooHoo!) Did the ViperWolf mod to the throttle cable setup and looks like it is going to work well. (thanks, Viper!) Need to find a stronger return spring, but I think that's about it. (other than putting everything back together, AGAIN!)

My first time trying to post a video, but we'll see if it takes. Don't have much else to report, other than it's been an expensive journey! haha Cheers, B2
https://www.facebook.com/bill.bell.520/videos/10216872658711024/?t=33

Where did you score the rocker switch/12V assembly that fit into the ash tray? Me likey!

Truck looks great!

OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Been a while since I've posted, but wanted to give an update. She was up and running, but something wasn't right. Had a wicked belt squeal that I could not hunt down. Changed out all of the idler pulleys and it was still squealing. Then, after a test drive it just died in the garage and I knew I had to look into why.

Well, I call him "Mr. Nutley"! Did a compression test and #1 came in with a whopping 0.0. Pulled the passenger head and found Mr. Nutley imbedded in the piston. Luckily it wasn't any worse. Pulled it all back out and replaced the piston, connecting rod and intake valve. Got the block back in last night and putting it all back together this evening. Will update with more info once I get to turn the key....again!

TrailPsycho, I got that rocker panel off of e:bay from a supplier called carmotors2013:

Marine Switch Panel, 3 Gang Rocker Switch Panel...
Item ID: 222613848240
Quantity: 1
Estimated delivery: Wed. May. 30 - Tue. Jun. 19
Paid: $27.24 with PayPal
Seller: carmotors2013.
It came from China, so it took about 2 weeks to get here, but it fit perfect so it was worth it! Cheers, B2

Attachments

• Pistons.JPG
    Pistons.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 36
  • CrankIn.JPG
    CrankIn.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 41
  • FreshCyl.JPG
    FreshCyl.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Hone.JPG
    Hone.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 41
  • LapBench.JPG
    LapBench.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 49
  • PassHead.JPG
    PassHead.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Mr.Nutley2.jpg
    Mr.Nutley2.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 55
  • PistonsIn.JPG
    PistonsIn.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 42

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Looks like time to replace the rear main seal and freeze plugs while its out. MR. Nutley looked to be too big to get past the valve. Was it a spark plug insert? looks like a rivnut.
Oh well now you really know the condition of your motor. Good to go for another 10 years. Truck sure looks sharp you did good in your fire recovery.