• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Different dana 30's?

robs68

My question is are there different DANA 30 's that were used in different years. I am taking the guts out of my Dana 30 axle housing that were in my 68. Because the axle tubes are leaking at the pumkin and we feel that the tube might be bent. Luck has it that my brother has two dana thirtys in his back pasture. I have taken one apart and cleaned up the housing and am welding the tubes to the pumpkin. Not knowing what year the cleaned up housing came out of should I be able to move the guts from the old housing to the new housing with no problem or is there a different from year to year. I am planning to put all new seals in the new housing.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The same.
Gear ratios vary. '66 brakes are different (no self adjusters).
Typical carrier split (based on gear ratios)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Wow a response from TOFIC. We need more of your comments ... I too was thinking that the jeeps are Diff.
... Hey ROBS68 How are you going to get that straight. I too have a busted 44. I've wondered about welding mine to straighten it up.

OP
OP
robs68

robs68

I am going to change housings I was going to weld the new housing but I was told by some hot rod guys that there is a good chance of warping the tubes because you have to use a special welding rod because the diff housing is cast and the tubes are steel. So I am not going to weld the new housing and just go as is. Also I figured the jeep dana 30 was different that would make it to simple.