• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trivia...How long will a motor last without ever adding oil?

Projp

True story.
I know a guy,(young) that bought a new Tundra about 5 years ago. While talking to his dad he mentioned that his sons motor was in for rebuilding. I commented that his truck was not that old. He stated that the kid had never changed the oil or added any since it was new.

How many miles do you think it ran until it puked?

Vintagetin

85,000 miles. At least that's how long someone I knew until the motor locked up. A guy I knew worked for a small business and each person thought the other was changing the oil on the company truck. At 85,000 miles they realized no one even checked it since the truck was new.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
70,000 miles.

My mom drove an old Torino for a month with no oil with a severe rod knock. when she finally called me for help I went over and the dipstick had fried sludge on the dipstick to the full mark she thought it was full.

My sister called me once saying that her Datsun pick-up was billowing white smoke. I went over and she said it started billowing white smoke 3 weeks earlier but it just got so bad she called me. I was expecting a fried head but when I checked it out the crankcase was full to the top with gasoline. Didn't hurt a damn thing except wasted the bearings and the rings. Tore it down replaced rings and bearings and new gaskets and she drove it for almost 8 years before trading it in on a new Mustang. The inside of the motor was cleaner than new parts. Nothing like 180F gasoline to clean stuff.

Motors can endure allot of abuse if not pushed very hard.

Bogar

5 years old * 15,000 miles / year = 75,000 miles.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I heard about a man that bought a car I think it was a 55 or so Chevy drove it 100k and traded it in never changed the oil now he may have added oil I don't know but it was still running when he traded.%)With that being said if I missed one oil change the engine would grenade ;D So my guess is 100k

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Toyota's maintenance schedule on my '12 Tacoma recommends way more than I expected.
Oil changes @ 5K.
Spark plug changes @ 30K.
Gear oil changes @ 30K.
Now, I've don all this maintenance, but compared to a Chevy or Ford, this is a lot.

Bogar

Toyota's maintenance schedule on my '12 Tacoma recommends way more than I expected.
Oil changes @ 5K.
Spark plug changes @ 30K.
Gear oil changes @ 30K.
Now, I've don all this maintenance, but compared to a Chevy or Ford, this is a lot.

That’s bizarre. I have a 2011 4Runner V6 and oil changes are 10k intervals.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Happened enough. Low side is about 40k. Maybe upwards of 50k for most modern cars.

Some people don't understand the salesman says that you don't have to do anything for over 100k. Unlike the old days that you would need a timing belt at 60k, or valve adjustments. But they take that as not needing oil or anything else for 100k. A big chunk of the blame is on the crappy salesman. But the customer who doesn't read the manual on the car is also to blame. And ultimately the one responsible.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Oh, I have a Briggs & Stratton that is running the same oil for over 30 years now. Doesn't get run much. Don't care about it. That's probably why it won't die. Last known maintenance was done in the 80s. Last repair was to take off the gas tank and swish out the orange goo and sand the points. It did get an oil check, there is still something in there.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I have a friend that has a PT cruiser 280,000 miles on the transmission never changed the fluid since new ,I said don’t start now get rid of it

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I heard about a man that bought a car I think it was a 55 or so Chevy drove it 100k and traded it in never changed the oil now he may have added oil I don't know but it was still running when he traded.%)With that being said if I missed one oil change the engine would grenade ;D So my guess is 100k

Ouch.....

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
This kid down the road has a Honda XR100 and it smoking pretty go. I would say it was well used.

So one day it quits in front of the house and I walk down to the road to see about him. It's locked up won't kick over. I ck oil and none to be found.

I tell him it's outta oil probably gall the piston.

He goes shoot and it had just quit smoking!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I think we are mixing stories here.

No oil change, but keep it topped off? That can last a real long time
No oil change, never pull the dipstick, run it out of oil? about 40k.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
buddy of mine bought an 86 f-350 with a 351.....38,000 miles went in for his first oil change, only because the filter rotted and it was leaking.....ran it extremely hard the whole time he had it, sold it at 75k