• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2.5 inch lift with 31x10.5x15 tires

richparsonsx

Does anyone have a picture of what their bronco looks like with 31 inch tires and a 2.5 inch lift? I am thinking about going with this set up on mine once I get to the suspension but would like to see some pictures before I start buying all the parts.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Look up Zillacon with his "Ketchup and Mustard" Broncos. His yellow one has a WH 2.5" lift and 31 KM2's... nice looking rides!

Here is an update to save you the trouble digging.... The yellow is 2.5" Lift with 31's, the red is 3.5" lift with 33's.

BroncoPics005.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

richparsonsx

I think I may end up going 33's with a 1 inch body and a 2.5 inch suspension lift...hopefully the dana 20 t-case, dana 30 front end and ford 9 inch rear end can handle it and I don't lose TOO much power from the 302. I am going to go ahead and buy the beefed up output shaft from WH (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...ete_Kit_Assembled/Bronco_Dana20_Transfer_Case).

Hopefully the 2.5 inch suspension lift will offset the extra 1.3 inches coming off beefed up output shaft so I don't have to mod the rear drive shaft.

66/75bronco

Loc.
Redfield Arkansas
You will want to get the 6 degree pinion shims with that setup. Thats what I have except 31 inch tires. I had 33's but with 3.50 gears it was a dog. Went back to 31's. The pinion shims will keep you from having vibrations caused by the SL. There's a tech article on it. Later

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
never seen anybody have to install 6* shims with only a 2.5" lift, maybe 2*. my pinion angle is at 5* with a 2.5", i don't really have a problem with U joints. it'll roll up and straighten out with axle wrap when you're under power anyway.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I probably could install 6 degree shims with my 2.5in lift but I dont have issues with ujoints either.
I run 33s with a 2.5in lift 3.50 gears but I also have a NP435 overall I think its a good setup and dont really see much of a power loss although my engine is also built for my setup.
For years people have run 33's and 3.50 gears with little issue but you do tend to need a little lower gearing when offroad. So really you just end up using low range more. but out on the hiway it should be fine.

OP
OP
R

richparsonsx

I probably could install 6 degree shims with my 2.5in lift but I dont have issues with ujoints either.
I run 33s with a 2.5in lift 3.50 gears but I also have a NP435 overall I think its a good setup and dont really see much of a power loss although my engine is also built for my setup.
For years people have run 33's and 3.50 gears with little issue but you do tend to need a little lower gearing when offroad. So really you just end up using low range more. but out on the hiway it should be fine.

Thanks, i think I am going to be an 80-20 highway to offroad driver anyway (which makes me wonder if I really need that extreme output shaft). Most of the wheeling I will do will just be light trails and mud pits down here in Texas, maybe a few trips to the beach. I just like the look on 33's better. It will be stock 3 speed with 3.5 gears.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
the extreme output is never a bad idea anyway, i have one too. madgyver broke one trying to do a burnout, but he's running 37's.

OP
OP
R

richparsonsx

the extreme output is never a bad idea anyway, i have one too. madgyver broke one trying to do a burnout, but he's running 37's.

Your extreme output shaft hasn't given you any issues with highway and road driving? None of this "puking oil" stories I read about?

Louie

Bronco Guru
I have a 2.5" lift with 33s. Here's pics with the original 31s and no flares, and then the 33s with Warflares. The 31s look small to me. Plus the 33s give it another inch of lift over the 31s!

Attachments

• 77 Bronco.JPG
    77 Bronco.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 294
  • MT wheels side.jpg
    MT wheels side.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 300
OP
OP
R

richparsonsx

I have a 2.5" lift with 33s. Here's pics with the original 31s and no flares, and then the 33s with Warflares. The 31s look small to me. Plus the 33s give it another inch of lift over the 31s!

what were the wheels you had on it with the 31's?

Louie

Bronco Guru
what were the wheels you had on it with the 31's?

Full size Bronco wheels. Those wheels & tires were on it when I bought the Bronco. It was cut already and had the original suspension. That pic is with the new lift.