• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what wiring harness is everyone using 1976 bronco

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
just wondering what wiring harness everyone uses, i have a 1976 bronco 302 hei ignition 1 wire gm alternator and no fuel injection. mines pretty messed up so im looking to replace the whole harness

BroncoChicken

I ordered the Painless without switches (10114). Also ordered the split loom kit. I haven't started the install yet but reading through the instructions, it looks pretty straightforward. The kit includes a new glovebox that already has the hole cut for the fuse block. It is more expensive, but if you order it before sometime in Feb, you can use this $100 rebate: http://www.painlessperformance.com/rebates/100rebateform.pdf

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most commonly discussed ones here seem to have always been the ones from Painless, American Autowire, and Centech. Ron Francis has a few nice universal ones, as does Painless.
However, there are others that get used as well, including some budget ones for as little as about $200 or so if I remember? But the Bronco-specific harnesses are more popular by far. Even at the higher price points.

Lots of discussions about it with some real good detailed info. You'll probably get some of those answers here too, but if you have time definitely search out some of the other harness threads.

It's a good project. The Bronco-specific harnesses would be my choice every time for someone less familiar with wiring though. Much easier to figure out.
I'm going that route too, even though I'm all too familiar with the different years and different aftermarket versions.

Good luck.

Paul

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
My centech harness has been trouble free for almost 20 years. .. pretty straight forward install.

OP
OP
C

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
thanks everyone, im looking at a
Kwik Wire
14 Circuit Ford Wire Harness
$290.00

Ive used them before in other applications, price is pretty good and i don't mind wiring
not ordering for a while so I'll keep searching and see what kind of budget harnesses are out there

BigB

I used the 9+3 kit from Rebel Wire.

http://www.rebelwire.com/

Great quality and the tech support is unreal. Called 3 times and had Jeremy help me out and basically had me up and running in a couple of hours after I had run the harness out.

I had also purchased this harness 6 years ago for a project I didn't end up using it for.

Under $200, as well as hand built in Tennessee!

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
Which HEI distributor did you use? Want to go HEI and need a recommendation for a distributor.

Cheap one off eBay .
b9eb5c0c30681ec87475c72d5cbcc214.jpg

Knuck

Thanks for the info. My son has a Skip White Distributor in his 84 Wagoneer and it works great. Didn't know if there were any clearance issues.

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
I have clearance issues. Offset low profile air cleaner and had to modify hood support. I don't have a body lift. 2" body lift would help.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As bbow said, there are definitely clearance issues you need to address in one way or another with an EB and HEI.
The stock low-profile air cleaner is the best at getting things done both for the hood and the distributor, but other things can be done as well. Any large round air cleaner will either need to be tall (thus creating a hood clearance issue) or smaller diameter, or modified, or all three.

A body lift will help to keep you from having to cut your hood brace, but I'm not sure how much. Seems like the 1" lifts should be enough, but I'm not completely sure about that. Might need a 2" lift to be sure, but others here will know for sure.

Got pics of your offset air cleaner bbow? Or is it a stock one? Aftermarket offset would be cool to see pics of.

Thanks

Paul

Knuck

I hate body lifts so that rules them out. Looks like I may need to modify hood bracing or find a lower profile Distributor. Was planning on using a dropped offset air cleaner base anyway, so that will help. My hood was opened up for a reversed hood scoop previously, so if i redo the hood bracing I will have plenty of clearance for the air cleaner.

OP
OP
C

Crazz

Loc.
Lexington, KY
I cut the section of hood brace out you csn flip it upside down and weld it back in and have your clearance for the hei