• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horn Help Please

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Hello All,
I have a 75-77 turn signal switch so I believe it's wired for a relay because only the blue/yellow wire comes out of the column, and my yellow wire from the light switch is not connected to anything.

If anyone could give advice on how I should wire this up I'd appreciate it. I've never added a relay to a system before.

This EB has a 72 wiring harness, thanks.

Jeff

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The later model column switch is expecting to see ground connection coming up through the steering column check continuity between the column and the frame. particularly on both sides of the of the rag joint. I think you will need a 1974 or later steering wheel for the contacts to work properly. The horn tracks are different between early steering wheel and the later steering wheel. You will also need a ground connection from the battery to the Frame if you don't have one someplace.

I haven't done this swap so you will need to consult both wiring diagrams to sort it out.
First thing to do is jumper the horns to the battery and make sure they work. I spent allot of time once trying to make a horn work when at one time when I verified power to the horn it didn't work because the horn was locked up inside. So test horn before diving in.

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Rodeo, I don't know if this will help, but Viper sent this to me when I was adding a flaming river column to my 66.

Attachments

• horn%20relay%20for%2066.jpg
    horn%20relay%20for%2066.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
good stuff, thanks guys. I have a TBP aftermarket wheel, so the horn button is grounded to the adapter housing...will this suffice for the 'ground connection' you're talking about Rusty?

I have battery to block and battery to body grounds, but not battery to frame. I'll take care of that this evening. I also have a pair of horns I bought for my 66 Mustang back in 2002 still in the packaging...surely they will work %) but I'll test em first.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Just remember if you have problems with the horn Ford uses ground connection to trip the relay. the ground runs up the center shaft of the column then through the horn switch in your steering wheel and down and out to the relay. The stock 3 tab relay has a power line in and power line out to the horn and the ground for your horn relay.

in Vipers diagram above is a 4 post relay used in the same way as the old 3 post Ford relay. After the relay, power is sent to the horns, there is only one wire connection on the horn. The horn needs good clean ground connection through its mounting bolt and is usually mounted on the core support. This ground is supplied to the horn through the body ground back to the battery.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
good stuff, thanks guys. I have a TBP aftermarket wheel, so the horn button is grounded to the adapter housing...will this suffice for the 'ground connection' you're talking about Rusty?

I have battery to block and battery to body grounds, but not battery to frame. I'll take care of that this evening. I also have a pair of horns I bought for my 66 Mustang back in 2002 still in the packaging...surely they will work %) but I'll test em first.

An engine to frame ground would take care of the battery to frame mount and might be easier. NixTrix pointed out that there is an unused bolt hole right side of the engine in front of the motor mount. That's where I connected a short motor to frame grounding strap. Just drill a hole in the frame and use a tapping bolt to thread it.

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
An engine to frame ground would take care of the battery to frame mount and might be easier. NixTrix pointed out that there is an unused bolt hole right side of the engine in front of the motor mount. That's where I connected a short motor to frame grounding strap. Just drill a hole in the frame and use a tapping bolt to thread it.

thanks Charlie and good timing, I was about to head out to the garage...but since my boy's ball game got cancelled I'm heading to the junkyard first to hunt for a fan shroud...can't believe the parts houses dont sell em, and if they do they're $125+ :eek:

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Still haven’t wired anything but went to the yard today looking for a fan shroud (longshot I know) and pulled an Autolite horn from what looked like an early 50s Ford HD truck...can’t wait to hear what it sounds like...gotta clean out the remnants of dirt dobbers first ;D

Attachments

• EE9D054F-1845-4680-AEC1-6425B29807A8.jpg
    EE9D054F-1845-4680-AEC1-6425B29807A8.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 89DD69C4-57AA-4307-9ACF-820BBA0D7325.jpg
    89DD69C4-57AA-4307-9ACF-820BBA0D7325.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 20