• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

98 Ford Explore engine Swap

Rocko1012

Owner says he has GT40 heads on engine. Research shows should be GT40P heads. Can get engine, Harnesss and CPU for $500 should i invest in this build.
I need an engine for build Concerns are price tom make EFI work Or change to Carb application. What should I be looking for prior to purchase of engine.

Ron

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi Ron. We can give better advice with some more input from you. Example, do you want turn key, what are your fab skills, timeframe, engine condition/mileage, can you hear it run etc.

In general, there are a ton of exploder swaps out there. Nothing generally wrong with P heads except you are limited to header options if you go that way.

Read up on EFI Guy post about harness rework.

Hank

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

Pretty mechanically inclined, Engine is in PO garage, He was going to use it on a project. Unknown Mileage. PO claims engine is 98 explorer, do not anything about engine other than what PO is stating. My project is not quit ready for engine, I have some time. In middle of body panel replacements. Turn Key would be great. I want the biggest bang for my bucks. I have read some of EFI Guys post. I like the fact engine comes with front accessories, Serp set up and power steering.

Attachments

• 100_4925.jpg
    100_4925.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 159

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One aspect of not carbing is that you will need to build the fuel delivery system. In tank, external, low pressure/high pressure pumps, return lines etc. depending on which way you go. None of which is really complicated, none of which is free 😁

Maybe pull oil pan and look for any signs of obvious damage before install.

In the end, reliable block that is not difficult to rebuild if necessary and also assuming cylinders have not already been bored.

Lots of info here on the conversion process if you decide EFI. I have 351W with exploder front dress and EFI. There are details to manage but few unknowns

Hank

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

PO says he witnessed running prior to removal. 110000 Miles Engine rotates. Need all new fuel lines anyway. Already have external electric pump (if it meets specks needed) Would it be harder to make engine complete Carb or EFI. Both have there own challenges and price differences. Wan to keep original fuel tank. I don't think my original motor had fuel return line. Only supply and vent, and Canister vent.

Dlish

The serp front dress doesn't have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump. So to go carb, you would need a new intake manifold, the carb, and an inline pump for the carb if you want to keep stock tank. Its not impossible, but would require some additional parts.

Around me there are pulled motors in the 500-600 range, and some don't have the ecu or electronics. So seems fair if its in good shape.

Any thoughts on trans?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Does it have the full accessory drive. Belt on and everything including the cooling fan. If it does, it probably is a decent deal. I consider a pulled engine that I can't hear run a $200 core. The accessory drive (if complete) is worth a couple hundred to me as well.

Does it still have the transmission? That would be even more of a good deal.

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

Looking at the cheapest and simplest way to get engine up and running.
Have intake and carb from previous 302. Need Distributer and coil, Need to clean and have carb rebuilt. Staying with 3speed I have, but thinking of converting to floor shift. Best place to source power steering gear box>?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you got it.
You need an 80's F150 302 flywheel. This engine is a different balance than your old one.
Venders sell a clutch pivot bracket to make up for the missing linkage hole to keep your existing 3-speed.
What are your plans for accessory drive?
Make sure the distributor is for a roller cam, that is what the Explorer motor is.

Power steering gear box? Where did that come from? You should probably do a search and if that doesn't work start a new thread for that. Burying this question into an Explorer engine swap thread isn't a great way to find an answer.

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

run the explorer accessory drives. I believe the 302 was an 80's engine. Bronco belonged to my uncle who owned a auto machine shop. Can i check the stamping codes on block>

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

Reviving Thread,
Checked my old 302 Block, engine numbers or for a 1984, Which I believe has a 50 oz flywheel, which I can use on explorer engine w/balancer? Any input would be greatly appreciated. What is the best/cost effective Carburetor for this engine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'84 302 will be same as explorer
Carburator will depend on what intake you have, block doesn't matter.

OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

Have a Edlebrock performer 289 intake manifold. I think I will go Carburetor instead of EFI, I don't know enough on the wiring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

Eplorer EFI

Flywheel is off block ID of D4DE-6015-BA, Which I think is from 1974. Not a 50oz flywheel. So need flywheel/clutch assembly. What to do with EGR? Keep it? Does elbow on intake have to be removed? Can explorer throttle cable be used? I was going to run explorer exhaust manifolds. Can someone provide what is needed with pictures from TB to air filter? MAF?ETC???? Not running in tank fuel pump. will have LP fuel to high pressure? Does fuel system need accumulator?

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
From your last post it sounds like you're going EFI.

First, you need the ECU and it needs to be chipped/programmed to take the things you place to delete out. Second, you need the complete wiring harness reworked. Third you need the complete explorer ignition system. Forth you need to build the fuel system. Lots of different ways to do this and different opinions. I run the stock tank and single HP pump. No issues.

For the intake, I'm using a complete 97 Explorer upper with the ducting....

Tim

Attachments

• 20160311_115637.jpg
    20160311_115637.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
R

Rocko1012

Efi

Have complete explorer engine, harness, ECM/mount. New Centech Harness for whole bronco.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does it have the full accessory drive. Belt on and everything including the cooling fan. If it does, it probably is a decent deal. I consider a pulled engine that I can't hear run a $200 core. The accessory drive (if complete) is worth a couple hundred to me as well.

Does it still have the transmission? That would be even more of a good deal.

Unless you know the seller personally, you have to assume the above. I have bought two running explorers for cheap. You can find them here in the pull a part and get the engine, trans and harness for less than 300 bucks.

BroncoChicken

If you have all of it, use the Explorer EFI. Wiring is pretty simple with the EFIGuy harness.

Jackofalldave

Tim, i noticed a comment in one of the previous chats about needing a distributor for a roller cam on a 5.0. I'm planning on using a distributor i got from an 89 f150 with 5.0. How can i tell the difference in distributors? I didn't realize the roller cam motor used a different distributor. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Tim, i noticed a comment in one of the previous chats about needing a distributor for a roller cam on a 5.0. I'm planning on using a distributor i got from an 89 f150 with 5.0. How can i tell the difference in distributors? I didn't realize the roller cam motor used a different distributor. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Different distributor gear roller vs. flat tappet cam

Cast gear is for a flat tappet cam. Steel gear for a hydro-roller. Bronze is only for a solid-roller cam.....You can also use the composite gear with a steel roller cam

It's all about the cam vs. the engine.....

Tim