• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!

mrdrnac

Contributor
Was it the R2008 jeep part number you ordered? Please do let us know if it works OK!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not speaking for Gravel Maker here, but I'd have to say no it won't work for you.
It might "fit" but it would have different levels of effectiveness because your linkage is entirely different. They might both be called "Y" by some, but yours is the original "Inverted-Y" style that most of us refer to. In spite of the fact that RuffStuff is correct to say theirs looks like a "Y" (it does!) it's in effect what we would refer to as a modified version of the old "Inverted-T" linkage setup.

Your wandering is likely due to several different things working together, but not an inherent design flaw.
Did you start a thread asking about your issue? If not, let's do that so you can get a bunch of suggestions of different things to look for.

And a detailed description of what changes to your Bronco have been made (especially suspension height) and some pics of your steering layout and wheels and tires.

Good luck.

Paul

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
Thanks Paul.
Been chasing this wandering problem for a while. I am going to try one more thing and if that doesn't work I'll pose the question to the board.

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Jimbo-

Thanks for your question, and there is a chance it could work just fine, but not a guarantee I'm afraid. The primary difference is the amount of space between the body of the ball joint and the face of the link with the tapered hole. (doesn't matter if it is our style y link or the inverted T or Y link).

The two that we have, one was designed to work with all of our GM 1 ton TREs (the white colored one). Some customers have found that they fit other TRE brands, while others are shaped differently enough to where it just doesn't make contact.

The other one (black color) is designed to fit the stock Jeep Cherokee and most Wranglers for those still using stock TREs.

Your Ford ends are not something we have tested them on as of yet I am afraid. But it may be that one of them is easily trimmed or modified a little bit to work. If you wanted to try it out, you could order both the black and white one and just test fit to see if one works or could with a little love. If one or both don't work we are happy to return them, and you would only be out a few bucks in shipping.

Or... there is no time like the present to upgrade to GM 1 ton steering... (sorry, gotta be a salesmen every once in a while ;-) )

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/YLINK.html

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Because the stock setup doesn't need it.
This is a product that's being produced to fix an issue associated with modified steering linkages. Stock does not have the same problem. Unless other changes have been made to cause it that is, or the rod ends are so worn out that they can't hold their position any longer.

Paul

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
DirtDonk is correct, stock bronco steering does not need this, however our (or other peoples) Y link 1 ton steering kits are a semi-common swap, and this vastly improves how a Y link handles.

Mike42p

Would this also be applicable to the end of the drag link that meets the pitman arm?

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I think I asked the same thing and believe it was no. Double check though.

Sent from my GS3 on Cyanogenmod with the older / better version of Tapatalk!