• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moving to Arizona

nathan_1970

I just moved to Phoenix Arizona last month from California and need a little insight. I have a 1970 EB with the stock 302 in it. In California I didn't need to get it smogged but I do in Arizona. What should I look out for to see if I still have the smog equipment on my vehicle? Is it hard to pass the smog test in Phoenix?

Thanks in advance.

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Seriously, you have to get a 1970 smogged in AZ? And here I thought CA was bad. Sorry I can't help you with that, but I'm sure others here will post.

LOVNBRONCOS

Loc.
Tucson, Az
Az is the worst on emissions. I think its 68 and up. You need the original equipment that came on a 70 from the factory (smog pump, canister). I think your lucky with the earlier 70 no real smog equipment just vacuum stuff if im not mistaken. My 75 was a nightmare had nothing on it when I bought it with headers. Search a 70 (motor size) Emission Dia. or you can call Emissions and they should be able to tell you what you need. Good Luck Welcome to Arizona.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Insure it as a classic/collector and you don't have to go through emissions in AZ. Take your insurance card into MVD and they will change your registration to exempt status. New AZ law passed not that long ago

BroncoBrandon

I have a 71 with a 302 and I dont have any emissions equipment under the hood. Last time I checked with the DMV (2 years ago) I was told that 69 was the cut off year and I hope JefeAZ is right. It would save a lot of pain for some of us in the valley that have trouble pasing emissions.

1 1/2 years ago I had the address for mine moved to my father in-laws cabin, No emissions required and the tags are good for 5 years at a time.

Also... I used to have to make it run like Poo to pass emissions.

Check out Scardino's automotive if you need help with emissions.
they are about 2 miles south of CaveCreek and Cactus
-great guys and they have fair prices

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=&ie...670&ei=tgflT_3GK6P20gGk9v3-CQ&ved=0CH8Q_BIwAw

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Phoenix AZ is the only place in the country (actually Maricopa county) that also requires emissions testing on motorcycles.

When I had my '69 it was tested. Locally '66 and prior are prefered as they are exempt.

The good thing is unlike california you don't need every single original emissions equipment. I am fairly sure the '70 lacks evaporative emissions, so you just need to pass the tailpipe test. They didn't even open the hood on the '69 when I went through.

Before you go and try to trick the system, just go through and see if you pass. You may be stressing for no reason. An engine in good tune is very likely to pass. And the good part, you are completely legal. No skirting the system and hoping you don't get caught.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
You just need the original equipment in working order. There wasn't much if any on a 70 Bronco. Mine is bone stock and I can't find anything worth worrying about on it.

70_Steve

Old Guy
The good thing is unlike california you don't need every single original emissions equipment. I am fairly sure the '70 lacks evaporative emissions, so you just need to pass the tailpipe test. They didn't even open the hood on the '69 when I went through.
The only emissions equipment on my 70 is the PCV valve. But they don't do any inspection at all. They don't pop the hood (to see my shiny new fuel injected 351) nor do they even bother inspecting the gas cap gasket.

I pull in, they run it under load, then idle, and that's it. Except for paying the money!!

broncogt

Only 75 and up are checked under the hood. Every one needs a gas cap. A rag stuck in the filler will fail.

It can be real hit and miss, some inspectors don't even know the rules....If they try to open the hood remind them it is a 70.

Mr Rags

Contributor
Everyone's advise here is pretty solid. I do have a sure fire solution. If you do a search on here you can find a ton of threads on "classic Insurance". The problem with that is all of those policies have restrictions, and sometimes expensive. The Arizona Classic Bronco Club recently brought in an insurance agent from Farmers Insurance who is also a 4-wheeler. We talked to him about our issue with emissions, and insurance. He can write a policy for you as a "hobby vehicle" that has no restrictions of use, you can set your own coverages and gets you emissions exempt with the MVD. He has already written half a dozen policies for ACB members. His name is Allen Conner. If any of you guys need more info on this, let me know.

Bituman

Loc.
Phoenix Mtn Preserve
Only 75 and up are checked under the hood. Every one needs a gas cap. A rag stuck in the filler will fail.

It can be real hit and miss, some inspectors don't even know the rules....If they try to open the hood remind them it is a 70.

Yes, this is right. I have a 74 and all they do is a tailpipe sniff under load and a gas cap check. My rebuilt, carbed 302 with mild cam always passes. They never even open the hood. A few years ago I researched this and finally read the statutes because of all the misinformation. Basically, any vehicle AFTER 74 has to have original smog equipment in place in addition to the actual sniff tests.

And I also agree with broncogt about the inspectors. Sometimes they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. I also have an old Porsche 911 and it's a C4, as in all wheel drive. Every time I go I have to explain that they can't run the sniff test under load. If it weren't mine it might be funny to watch a 911 go rocketing out of the test bay.

Bob

OP
OP
nathan_1970

nathan_1970

Thanks for all the info! I think I will try and get the smog test done first just to see if it passes. If that doesn't work I will check out that insurance option.

Last edited:

Entourage

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
I am moving to Phoenix next month so I am excited to meet up with the Bronco Guys in the area. Fingers Crossed that the 5-Year Colorado Collector Plates will work in Arizona. There is NO way my 1973 will pass emission until I add EFI. Guess I have 4.5 Years to select a system and get that installed. Best of luck on your move Nathan_1970 and maybe we will meet up soon.

vbro

I just passed with my stock '70. Didn't even have to do the dyno test. Passed on the idle test and the tech said I was done.
I tuned my rig to 8deg btdc and about 2 full turns out on the idle mixture screws. While I was waiting in line, I shut off my motor to let it heat up. When I looked at my numbers it read 84ppm for HC and 2.5ppm for CO.

MPG_Bronco

Loc.
Chandler
Insure it as a classic/collector and you don't have to go through emissions in AZ. Take your insurance card into MVD and they will change your registration to exempt status. New AZ law passed not that long ago

this is TRUE!!!
my uncle has a 72 dart that used to have a 318 with CA emissions crap on it, now a 360 without any emissions junk, with classic car insurrance it don't need emissions, but it' can't be a 'daily' driver and you have to have a 2nd vehicle to prove it. it doesn't even need the smog equipment.

the other tricks is to register it out of the valley, like if you get a cabin up north... or somewhere else...

also, collector car insurance has no mileage limit, and is roughly $300 per year to insure. get it appraised tho as you'll want it.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Gonna have to look into the "Classic/Collector" insurance status...that's news to me & great news at that (if true). I already have the "classic" tags on my '73 but still take it through emissions every December. Maybe not this year....fingers crossed.

Having said that: when I take mine through they check the gas caps- they failed me once for the tiniest hairline crack in the gasket on the aux cap, so now I have a set just for emissions, they confirm that the charcoal canister is under the PS floorboard, and they do the "sniff" test with it on the dyno. If they start to pop the hood I remind them it's not necessary and, typically, someone with more knowledge/experience takes over. As long as it passes their tests they don't seem to care what's under the hood. My 302's been bored out, aluminum heads, 4bbl intake, cam, headers, etc...

Welcome to the Valley & good luck!

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
Collector car Ins is the only way for me really easy and cheap ins ,can't be your primary vehicle ,emission in Tucson for my 76 was a real hassle till I got collector ins .

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the info! I think I will try and get the smog test done first just to see if it passes. If that doesn't work I will check out that insurance option.

The insurance gets you out of the requirement but really limits your options as far as use. When I lived in Minnesota my 70 didn't have to pass emissions at all. It came with a collector plate on it and the ladies at the dmv said "keep it" It is way cheaper than licensing as a dd. There is no mileage limit but the statute says for driving to shows, parades, etc.etc. and not for normal daily use. The only way you're going to get into trouble with that is if you piss of the local cop and he has it in for you. They are way too busy chasing real criminals to pay attention to how often they see you on the road with a collector plate. The main criteria to qualify for the collector plate is that you have 2 other vehicles that you pay full license/road tax on. They get plenty of money anyway.

OP
OP
nathan_1970

nathan_1970

I just wanted to give an update. I ran my Bronco thru emmisions, but I was over twice the limit on one of the catagories. I went with the classic car insurance route with Hagerty and it couldn't have been easier getting my registration. I pay around 20 dollars a month for really good coverage rather then the 30 i was spending for just liability. Thanks for all the help, it was a huge help.