• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Putting a full width axle under an early Bronco?

krisbassett

What all do I need to install a set of full width axles under my Bronco? I assume the rear is pretty straight forward but I'm wondering about getting new wedges for the front and getting them installed properly? Where can I get new wedges and what is the easiest way to find the proper location for them? Also what needs to be done with the track bar mount?

Thanks in advance
Kris

Oh and I'm going to be using the axles out of a 79 Bronco.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
if you can find a 77 front axle...just cut the wedges off and slid them in. the radius arms i used had the caster built in for a 3.5" lift...so just moved the mounts in board(dont remember how much, its in my build thread) as for the trac bar...i got WH trac bar riser and adjustable trac bar(i did have to shorten my trac bar tho). that all lined up perfect when i installed a TRO chevy1ton. for the rear, I bought the heavy duty spring perches that are longer(to help with axle wrap). good luck...full width rocks!

broncopete78

Loc.
ID
You can't move the wedges on a 79'. The best thing to do if you want to use these axles is to move your spring towers outward. This is easy for some one with some decent fab skills. There are some pictures online that would help. I have all the parts now out of a 78' and will be doing this winter.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can shorten the 78-79 D44 high-pinion Ford axles, the method is just a bit different due to the cast-in c-wedges. Just like installing BCB's wristed axle housing, cut the axle at the seam between the cast c-wedge portion on the long side, shorten the tube, reinstall the cast portion and weld. That's the general idea anyway.

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
I am running '78s with the cast wedges. I just left the wedges where they were & moved the springs outwards by redrilling the spring cup as mentioned above. It's really simple with basic fab skills.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I'm doing this (somewhat slowly) with a 77 with the weld on wedges. From what I have seen and understand, WBC4X4 welds a 2" plate on the frame between the coil towers and the frame which moves the coil's out the 2" to take care of the bow, when they do 78/79 HP44's. At least, this is my understanding. I would recommend checking out their site, they do have some pics and I'm sure if you had further questions, they would be willing to help you.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I left everything stock. The coils slant outward some but it has been fine so far?
I am going to swap my brand new 4.11s for a 4.56 or 4.88 axle at some point and when I do that I will look for an early housing and move the wedges in as explained above.
Dennis