• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Patriot Tires

Green_Bastard

Is anybody familiar with Patriot Tires? I was thinking about getting a set of these as part of my build but I haven't heard much about them. Thoughts/comments???

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
I believe diesel brothers developed them for their builds. They put them on all their trucks, they use military axles/wheels and need beefy side walls.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very interesting... 3,637 load capacity but only weigh 33.7 pounds???

Personally, I'd want to weigh one and make sure the advertised weight is correct. IMO a tire with that load capacity weighs more than 33.7 pounds.

I kind of hone-in on this topic as I have some HEAVY tires and they are not really correct for a 4K pound vehicle that really doesn't tow or haul (but I got them for a pretty good price and they work OK at pretty low pressures). I'd love me some tires in the 34 pound weight range.

md766876

weight is listed in kg, not lbs. tires are closer to 75 lbs each. Id love some lighter tires too!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
weight is listed in kg, not lbs. tires are closer to 75 lbs each. Id love some lighter tires too!

Good catch...I did a double take on that as well when I was looking at the specs. You can't build a tire that light, 33.7 lb, with that load capacity, at least not with any durability or tread.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I watched the show where they were negotiating the manufacturer. The tires are being made overseas and shipped to U.S. (FWIW. I know there aren't many tires made in US anymore...)

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
The guys on diesels brothers, wanted a tire that would hold up to the weight of a diesel,they were wearing out the brands that were out there.

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
The guys on diesels brothers, wanted a tire that would hold up to the weight of a diesel,they were wearing out the brands that were out there.

It is a good idea and there does not appear to be a lot of options for tires meant for heavier trucks while still providing a good look and off road performance. I really like BFG AT's, but they wear quick under a 3/4 ton+ truck.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
It is a good idea and there does not appear to be a lot of options for tires meant for heavier trucks while still providing a good look and off road performance. I really like BFG AT's, but they wear quick under a 3/4 ton+ truck.
I had BFG AT'S under my 97Dodge Cummins 4x4 2500, and they wore quickly, even the Goodyear dura tracs are starting to wear, but have lasted a little bit longer than the BFG'S.

OP
OP
Green_Bastard

Green_Bastard

Anybody have suggestions on another 35" tire for 70% on road,30% off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Green_Bastard

Green_Bastard

Ok I've got it narrowed down to either Mickey MTZ P3s or Maxxis RAZR MTs. Thanks for the help guys

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
They're made by federal tire. I've seen a bunch of pictures of them with sidewall blisters and tread chunks missing after a few thousand miles on some of the powerstroke pages I follow on Facebook. Might be ok for a Bronco since they're much lighter than an F250/350

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe it's 33 kilos which means 70 plus lbs which is about right. My toyo's were roughly 80lbs each....

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok I've got it narrowed down to either Mickey MTZ P3s or Maxxis RAZR MTs. Thanks for the help guys

Mickey MTZ is available in LT315/70R17 (35x12.5) Load range E that weigh 68 pounds. Not too heavy and a lot lighter than mine at ~94 pounds. Seems pretty light for a Load range E tire.

Maxis has a LT315/70R17 (34.6" tall) Load range D that the weight is not listed on their website but should be reasonable or less than the 68 pound MTZ's. Might be worth a call to them to see what they weigh.

I'm wanting Load range C so I will probably stick with 15" rims.

rpmgarage22

Maybe an outside version of an "inside scoop"? My dad and uncle just retired from 42 and 38 years, respectively, with a major tire company that still builds tires in the US. They no longer build auto tires at their plant, but Dad designed a few tools that are used almost worldwide, so he keeps "in the know" when he can.
That having been said, never believe anything I say...check it out when you can.
So, those tires are made in China, by a company owned in Taiwan (Federal Tires). They were originally built on an anticipated contract with Discount Tire Company, but continually failed QC and could not pass Discount Tire's standards. Even though the DB TV show makes it look like they came up with the name, the tire was already branded as "Patriot".
When DT stepped away, the company approached Pep Boys/CSK. Again, could not pass minimum standards and were told, "No thanks."
Then, through the magic of TV, they became an "awesome idea" to the guys at DB. The marketing match was made, Hollywood had their say, and the SAME TIRE is now the DB "Patriot" series.
Although it IS true that they developed a "special compound" for the diesels AFTER the deal was made, the other tires are the same ones that everyone else rejected.
This series of events took several years to pan out.
So...I'm saying that to say this...BUYER BEWARE!
If you do go with these tires, demand that the seller prove the provenance by getting the build code from the tire (Last four characters after DOT code. For example "0317" equals the third week of 2017.). If the build code is before 0616, I would not take them for free. The rejection notice came from Pep Boys/CSK in late 2015, I believe. Can't verify on Discount Tire.
Final opinion, again...just an opinion: There are some very good tires coming out of China. The issue, as with everything from that region, is how good the US quality control is for that product. The tires that Discount Tire are having built in China are really good tires. Some of the tires that Tire Rack sells from China are not... The big difference is that Tire Rack is basically a distributor, while Discount Tire is actually having tires manufactured for them under private label.

OP
OP
Green_Bastard

Green_Bastard

Mickey MTZ is available in LT315/70R17 (35x12.5) Load range E that weigh 68 pounds. Not too heavy and a lot lighter than mine at ~94 pounds. Seems pretty light for a Load range E tire.

Maxis has a LT315/70R17 (34.6" tall) Load range D that the weight is not listed on their website but should be reasonable or less than the 68 pound MTZ's. Might be worth a call to them to see what they weigh.

I'm wanting Load range C so I will probably stick with 15" rims.

I ended up ordering the Maxxis tires. I really like the way the look, the reviews are great and the guy at 4 Wheel Parts had good things to say about them. They came in today and I checked the weight, there 10lbs heavier than the MTs at 78 lbs.

OP
OP
Green_Bastard

Green_Bastard

Maybe an outside version of an "inside scoop"? My dad and uncle just retired from 42 and 38 years, respectively, with a major tire company that still builds tires in the US. They no longer build auto tires at their plant, but Dad designed a few tools that are used almost worldwide, so he keeps "in the know" when he can.
That having been said, never believe anything I say...check it out when you can.
So, those tires are made in China, by a company owned in Taiwan (Federal Tires). They were originally built on an anticipated contract with Discount Tire Company, but continually failed QC and could not pass Discount Tire's standards. Even though the DB TV show makes it look like they came up with the name, the tire was already branded as "Patriot".
When DT stepped away, the company approached Pep Boys/CSK. Again, could not pass minimum standards and were told, "No thanks."
Then, through the magic of TV, they became an "awesome idea" to the guys at DB. The marketing match was made, Hollywood had their say, and the SAME TIRE is now the DB "Patriot" series.
Although it IS true that they developed a "special compound" for the diesels AFTER the deal was made, the other tires are the same ones that everyone else rejected.
This series of events took several years to pan out.
So...I'm saying that to say this...BUYER BEWARE!
If you do go with these tires, demand that the seller prove the provenance by getting the build code from the tire (Last four characters after DOT code. For example "0317" equals the third week of 2017.). If the build code is before 0616, I would not take them for free. The rejection notice came from Pep Boys/CSK in late 2015, I believe. Can't verify on Discount Tire.
Final opinion, again...just an opinion: There are some very good tires coming out of China. The issue, as with everything from that region, is how good the US quality control is for that product. The tires that Discount Tire are having built in China are really good tires. Some of the tires that Tire Rack sells from China are not... The big difference is that Tire Rack is basically a distributor, while Discount Tire is actually having tires manufactured for them under private label.

Great info! Its interesting what you can find out when you know the right people. After more digging, I did find lots of negative info and decided to go another direction.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Great info! Its interesting what you can find out when you know the right people. After more digging, I did find lots of negative info and decided to go another direction.

I will never have time on any vehicle I own that were made in China
They are commies who enable and support the nutjob in North Korea and the quality of anything made in China is lousy

One thing if it's a raincoat , but no way will I ever trust a tire made in China

They can't even make dog food that doesn't have lead in it