• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 questions

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
First one, how do I remove the window trim on the door? I see a couple of tabs to lift up but I'm sure there is more to do. Second question, my vent windows don't close all the way, so I am thinking I might just remove them until I can afford to buy a rebuild kit. I have the windows them selves out but how do I get the bottom part off the door?

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
When I pulled out the felt I wrecked the old stuff, they have a friction spring in thar.

Vent window there is a screw in the inner door panel and i think also several screws in the outer part of the door where it meets the windshield frame. Even after taking them all out you still have to manhandle it a little.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I just did the vent window rebuild. It is a pretty good job. Not hard but time consuming. You have to remove the window channels inside the door and drop the windw out of the track. That is made easier by removing he rubber bump stop in the bottom of the door.

The biggest pain is if you get new weather stripping it has to be riveted onto the vent window frame on the window side. PITA for sure.

If you need more help give me a shout... I took them in and out several times. I can talk you through it. You can figure it out though... not that bad.

Greg

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I just did the vent window rebuild. It is a pretty good job. Not hard but time consuming. You have to remove the window channels inside the door and drop the windw out of the track. That is made easier by removing he rubber bump stop in the bottom of the door.

The biggest pain is if you get new weather stripping it has to be riveted onto the vent window frame on the window side. PITA for sure.

If you need more help give me a shout... I took them in and out several times. I can talk you through it. You can figure it out though... not that bad.

Greg

Well I got the window out, and after a few choice words the bottom part that is inside the door with the spring on it with the bolt broke on both sides. I need to rebuild mine now, but don't feel like drop any dough on it right now, so for now I'll just crusie without them. How do you get the chrome window trim on the outside that goes around the window off? I want paint it but can't figure out how to get it off.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Pry it off with putty knife, or thin flat screwdriver. It's just held on by the edge wrapping around the window frame. Go slow and be gentle if you want to be able to reuse it, it's pretty easy to warp or distort.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Thats not everything for a complete door rebuilt no. You need much more than that. I rebuilt my doors completly. Alot of stuff i got from JBG but some is much cheeper from LMC. LMC always has the small parts that no other vendor will offer you, if you dont get there calalogue you should call them and have them send one out. Some many times i look through there schematics and find parts that i never new existed of thet you defanitly ant gona find from the other vendors.

The wing wondows never close good without the wing window lock kit if the stock latch is worn out.
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-14328-vent-window-locks.html

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fbr/t.aspx

Word of advise when you do decide to replace the rubber wing weatherstripping.....throw the brass rivits away and go get some aluminum poprivits!

And that window trim your trying to remove....Id love a set of that to match my stainless windshield frame. If you get it off and want to sell it let me know. I wouldnt paint it, just paint the frame underneith. That chrome is not easy to find! (not sure were talking the same trim or not)

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
First one, how do I remove the window trim on the door? I see a couple of tabs to lift up but I'm sure there is more to do. Second question, my vent windows don't close all the way, so I am thinking I might just remove them until I can afford to buy a rebuild kit. I have the windows them selves out but how do I get the bottom part off the door?

So you are saying you have the vent window out? But the frame us still in the door? That isn't supposed to happen. Did you drill out the little hinge? The pivot pin would also have to be broken for that to happen.

Greg

OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
So you are saying you have the vent window out? But the frame us still in the door? That isn't supposed to happen. Did you drill out the little hinge? The pivot pin would also have to be broken for that to happen.

Greg

I got everything out of the vent window except the seal channel. I am thinking I might just go with a permanent piece of glass if I can figure out how to do it.

KS.76Sport

Loc.
Wichita, KS.
This is how I got my door trim off without warps, dings, pry marks etc. Get piece of hardwood (oak), but any hardwood or hard plastic will do. About 8 inches long 1/4 in thick and 2in wide. The objective is to distribute the force, and use something that won’t ding the aluminum. Bend back the tabs. Remove in this order rear, top, front. Start on one end of the trim. Place the wood, lengthwise against the edge of the trim (the 1/4in side of the wood touching). Work it from the outside of the door frame. Line the wood up with the same angle as the fold in the trim. If you strike it at a right angle to the frame, you'll just cinch the fold even more. Tap the wood (lightly) with a small mallet or hammer, up and down the wood a few times. Move the wood over a few inches and repeat. Do this back and forth along the length of the trim until it pops off. Takes time and patience. Just stop and check often to make sure its coming off evenly so you don’t warp it.

Hope that wasn’t confusing %) good luck.