• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Timing chain cover question

Builtnotbought0

Loc.
Belen NM
So I have a 80 mustang motor..I ran the numbers on the cover that came with it and its A 83-93 MUSTANG REVERSE ROTATION.....will this work? Or do I need a new cover?

Attachments

• 20180416_200752.jpg
    20180416_200752.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 45

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on what you want it to work for.
Basically yes, it will "work" in a Bronco because the engine is still the same. But you can't necessarily just throw all the old Bronco stuff back on. Some of it might work, while other stuff won't.

What is your setup going to be? Do you intend to run a mechanical pump for instance? If so you'll be better off with the front cover and accessories that came with the Bronco. If you don't have that stuff, then most earlier stuff will work. But then you have to worry about the timing pointer matching the marks on the damper ring.

So, what parts do you have, and how will the engine be set up?

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Basically are you running standard rotation V-Belt drive or reverse rotation serpentine drive? Do you need mechanical fuel pump or electrical fuel pump off the engine?

Your 4 bolt damper will not work with the Bronco V-belt system that used 3 bolt damper.

OP
OP
Builtnotbought0

Builtnotbought0

Loc.
Belen NM
Basically are you running standard rotation V-Belt drive or reverse rotation serpentine drive? Do you need mechanical fuel pump or electrical fuel pump off the engine?

Your 4 bolt damper will not work with the Bronco V-belt system that used 3 bolt damper.

Im running a standard rotation. and Im running this Serpentine set up

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111551274864?ul_noapp=true .

I did order a new timing chain cover today, and a water pump for the serp setup . I think I will just need to find a block off plate since Im running Fuel injection.