• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch linkage questions

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I'm hooking my clutch pedal back up, and between the franken-fab arrangement prior, and me not having the best recollection of taking it apart, I need a second opinion.

A diagram would help, but I haven't found one that really shows what I'm working with.

From the pedal to the lever, I should be in good shape. Today I got a new JB fab clutch rod and bushings installed and it seems to fit fine now.

I have one bolt holding a bracket on the bell housing. A second hole with sleeve appears to at one time allowed a bolt to attach to the block. Mine however has no hole for this second bolt. As it is now, that bracket is "floating" in space bolted on one end and the other is holding on the lever rod that transfers the pedal motion. (The one with the felt washer and round bushings.)

An additional bit of info is I have an 80's 302, and I believe the '70 Bronco's original bell housing.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is fine to use or not? Personally I'd like it to be a bit more secure.

Additionally, I hooked up the rod that goes from the lever to the paddle for the throwout bearing. It has a large D shaped hole, and the lever has a round pin. The cotter pin holds in on, but there is slop in it, what am I supposed to do there?

Thanks for any assistance, if photos are needed I'll try to grab some, I forgot to take my camera when I was working earlier.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Thanks Justin, that looks like it will fix my issue. Didn't even think to look for a conversion part.

Anyone have tips on the push rod interface being sloppy?

1414_520_large.jpg

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
My adapter bracket is on it's way.

Is there supposed to be looseness in the connection between the D shaped hole in the push rod and the round pin on the lever?

70_Steve

Old Guy
OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Do you have the clutch return spring installed?

Yes, I pretty much have everything in place, I'm just concerned with the mismatch between the large odd shaped hole on the push rod being held by a smaller round rod on the lever. It's not a smooth interface. The rest of my linkages are nice and tight, except that one.

Here, I drew a sketch of what is going on there.

Attachments

• NONAME_1.jpg
    NONAME_1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 20

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Yes, I pretty much have everything in place, I'm just concerned with the mismatch between the large odd shaped hole on the push rod being held by a smaller round rod on the lever. It's not a smooth interface. The rest of my linkages are nice and tight, except that one.

Here, I drew a sketch of what is going on there.

There is a bushing that goes in that joint, is that your issue? I actually think I have an extra one in my parts box I'm not bothering returning, I could drop it in the mail to you if you like.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
There is a bushing that goes in that joint, is that your issue? I actually think I have an extra one in my parts box I'm not bothering returning, I could drop it in the mail to you if you like.

Yes! That is my issue. It never had one to begin with so I didn't know what went on there. At least it's not as bad as I feared thinking I had mismatched parts.

I'll try to find one local, but so far NAPA doesn't list anything like that. I may have to take you up on your offer if I can't find it quicker. I appreciate it either way though, thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Second one is correct.

As you can see, it's not hard to imagine why very few people have ever seen an original one on their trucks!
The clutch is under quite a bit of pressure and those things wear out quickly.

It may even still be a bit of a loose fit with the new one in there, but at least it won't be as bad as it is now.
Heck, once long ago I found a rubber grommet that I used in mine for a nice tight fit! Now that I think about it, that lasted for a long time. Maybe there's not as much pressure and wear as I was thinking?
Just grease everything up good too. Yeah, it collects dust and dirt, but I always like a well lubed linkage.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
. .

I thought that bushing looked a little cheesy too. You can replace all the bushings in the clutch linkage including that eye with 3/8" heim joints. It makes the clutch operate smoother.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Thanks guys.

Given what you said Paul, I think it might be worth my effort to try something a little different. It may or may not work, but for no more effort than it will take, it's worth a try.

It may be next week but I'll post back if it works. I don't want to get my hopes up till I measure the parts and see what kind of volume I have to work with.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I thought that bushing looked a little cheesy too. You can replace all the bushings in the clutch linkage including that eye with 3/8" heim joints. It makes the clutch operate smoother.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that, I may try that if my other idea doesn't work, or doesn't last long.

I got a JB fab rod from the pedal to the lever, it has those heim joints on it.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
If you file the hole out to a complete circle you can get a bronze bushing that works in the HELP section of the chain parts stores.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, good idear there buckaroo.
Someone oughta' make a kit... %)

I think the reason it hasn't come up as often as an issue, is that with the spring holding it up against the stud, and the force simply pushing in the direction of tension, it doesn't give many people much trouble.
I drove mine that way daily for years and that little rubber grommet stayed right there. I used to check it now and then, sure it would be gone. But it was still there.

Hmm, I should go out and see if it's rotted off yet or not.
That was back when rubber was rubber, and real men used grommets! ;D

Paul

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I think the reason it hasn't come up as often as an issue, is that with the spring holding it up against the stud, and the force simply pushing in the direction of tension, it doesn't give many people much trouble.

Leave it to me..... %)

I had an idea to use a 3D printer to make an ABS plastic version, but I'm not sure if it has enough volume to pull it off until I measure it. Thicker ABS is pretty tough, but it needs to have some mass to it.

Right now I'm liking the heim joint idea best, kinda high though, looks like the heim is a shave under $20.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#59915k484/=ooes3l