• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing runs in paint

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
What's the best way to remove runs in paint? Yeah I know sand them out. But I'm looking for a little more detail. Can I sand it out so it still looks go and won't have to repaint? If so how? What type and grain of paper? Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Don

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Eastwood has a "paint skimmer" tool. It is a razor blade tool that removes a controlled thickness of paint (raised run) to the level of surrounding paint. It can then be lightly sanded to perfection.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Oh no :eek: runs. What kind of paint ? If it is enamel you better let it sit a couple of days. You can use a razor blade with masking tape on the corners so it does not dig up the paint around the runs.

BLADE
I I 0 I I
I tape I I tape I
I_____I___________________I______I

I hope you can figure out what I did up there. Put the tape on the ends of the blade. Just drag the blade over the run holding it straight against the run ( not at a angle ). Go very easy. A little at a time. Then use some fine sand paper 1000 grit (wet) and go over that with some 1500 (wet) and buff. I'm sory I can't explain a little better than this.

OP
OP
D

DJM75

Loc.
Washougal
Yeah it's enamel. So I should let it sit before I use the razor or before I sand or both? Also do you mean to hold the razor perpindicular to the paint?
Thanks for the help.
Don

bpatton74

Loc.
Alamogordo, NM
I recently painted my Bronco with enamel. I waited about one week to let it cure a bit, then VERY lightly took 3m's 1000 Grit wet dry sand paper, used lots of water with soap, and a sanding block. :) Check your progress regularly so you don't go all the way through. ;) After this step when you get it so you can no longer see the glossy outline of the run, use LOTS of water and soap and go with 3m's 1500 grit paper lightly for a couple of seconds (just enough to clear the 1000 grit scratches). Then take some fine rubbing compound and rub it out, for the extra shine use some finishing Glaze. ;) I did the above listed steps to my entire Bronco and it came out excellent!!! ;D ;D

67ster

Bronco Guru
What color is it ? On white or very light colors you may end up with some yellowing in the areas where the runs were . Good luck .