• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How does one rehang a car door? Is there some video out there showing how?

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
I checked You Tube with no luck. I removed my doors and I would like to reinstall them myself, especially after getting a quote of $50 an hour to install both of my doors. I replaced the original hinge with the quick release hinge offered by Tom Bronco Parts. Let me know of where I can view video on reinstalling my doors. If all else fails I will drop the car off at the body shop. I just hate not getting a firm price on installing them. Most of these body shops fix it within two-three hours then turn around and tell their client that it took 6 hours to do.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Remove the striker post. Get a jack and a block of wood - I use a floor jack for cars, but need to use my high lift for bronco doors. Install the doors loosely at the hinges and close it. Since the striker is removed you can see how everything lines up. If it is not to your liking, use the jack and block of wood to move the door up or to support the door as you loosen the hinges and move it slightly in the direction you need to.

Be forewarned, you are probably going to have to loosen and adjust the hinges several times and jack the doors up and down several times. Moving the hinge one way to fix something that is off can and will make another part of the door off. If you are trying to get the gaps and body lines perfect, you are going to be there for a while. It's sometimes better to split the difference and just be happy with as close as you can get it.

Does it sound like I hate hanging doors %)

You are going to have further problems with the lift off hinges. Since those hinges need to be in alignment to be able to remove the doors, there is no guarantee that you will be able to get your gaps and body lines accurate and still be able to lift the doors off. If the two hinges are adjusted too far out of alignment in order for the doors to look right, that will act as a binding point on the hinges and they won't lift off.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I rebuilt my hinges and to put my doors back on I first mounted the hinges on the door side then kneel down on one knee next to your rocker panel and roll a fat towel up and place it on your knee...then set the door on it (in position so you can thread the screws in the door jamb. For me, this kept the door at the perfect height to get a couple screws loosely into the jamb/frame...then I could step back and adjust it as needed.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
You don't need to remove the striker post, you only adding work, and making adjusting the door that much harder.

I would install the hinges on the door first, Then try to hold the door and get a single bolt in each hinge just 'snugged' Then you can try to get the hinge where it 'used to be' with a little trial and error. When you get everything lined up install the other bolts, double check alignment and then tighten everything up.

Good luck

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
It's a pain in the ass.
But once those lift off hinges are installed... whew! It's really nice.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You don't need to remove the striker post, you only adding work, and making adjusting the door that much harder.

?:? Removing two bolts for the striker is that much more work? I guarantee you adjusting doors to get the correct gaps and body line alignment is MUCH easier with the striker removed.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

My body man thinks the body mounting points on my 66 Bronco are bent from 44 years of people getting in and out of the Bronco.

He suggested new hinges, new striker posts, and shims (huge washers) between the body mount and the floor since the front and rear of the tub don't seem to be plumb.

From what I can tell, he know what he's talking about. Apparently a "Bronco Restoration Shop" here in SoCal takes alot of Broncos to his shop to adjust.

He said, some Broncos it's just 45 mins per door and some Broncos it's taken them 4-6 hours per door. Usually the passanger door is much easier.

I'll let you know how it goes when I attempt it at home.

Good luck!
Chris

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
My body man thinks the body mounting points on my 66 Bronco are bent from 44 years of people getting in and out of the Bronco.

He suggested new hinges, new striker posts, and shims (huge washers) between the body mount and the floor since the front and rear of the tub don't seem to be plumb.
You gotta be kidding me! %) :p
I would have laughed in his lying greedy face!

He must have a huge boat payment due.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Two sets of hands really helps. All of the holes in the hinges are slotted for alignment. Shims under the top or bottom hinge might be needed to raise or lower the aft end of the door. Just get a picture in your mind of how to adjust the position of the door by moving the hinges in out up down etc. The striker post can interfer with your adjustments and is sometimes easier to remove. It's probably in about the correct position so I would leave it in place and adjust it later if necessary. Sometimes corrosion on the bolts makes it difficult to adjust or remove. If there isn't any distortion in the body form sag or abuse, its usually pretty quick and easy. Hanging doors after body repairs can be a bitch and is often a compromise and sometimes requires gorilla warfare.