• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inner fender, kick panel replacement and painting?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am getting ready to replace the inner front fender, kick panel, and front door post. I just removed the whole front clip assembled together and have a few questions:

1. After getting everything welded and lined up, do you go ahead and paint the inner fender,kick panel, door post back area or paint them when yoiu paint the entire body.

2. Is it better to paint the exterior fenders and grill before they go back on, or paint them off of the vehicle as seperate pieces and assemble them and then put them back on. Put them back on a piecew at a time or assemble and mount the whole front clip like I took it off.? Just don't wanna scratch them trying to get them back together and lined up.

3. Do you paint the new mounting bolts that hold the fenders on or leave them bare stainless.

Just trying to figure out what order is the easiest and best way to paint and get everyhing back together.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
I painted everything first with a weldable primer, assembled, welded, then Primed again, then shot it with a flat black finish coat (i.e. rustoleum ;) )
lffo.jpg

Exterior pieces should be painted then installed, don't worry about the stainless hardware. if you paint after the hardware is installed, you'll tear the finish coat if you ever have to remove them again.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Andrew or Allen or anyone else -
Does anyone have picutres before, during and after a front door post replacement?

thanks
brian

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Allen,

was it hard to get the hinge post where it goes so the doors lined up correctly. I am afraid when i take the post out ,I won't be able to get it where it needs to be for the door to fir perfect. Also, did the inner fender and kick panel go back in exactly where they were before so that your fender attaches correctly on topof your inner fender and also attaches correctly to the door post. My front hinge post and kick panel are mostly gone, so is there a way to figure out where to tack the hinge post to get it in the right place? Sorry for the long post.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

BlueBronco

Loc.
Asheville, NC
ACK!! Allen 69 you scared me with that cut away shot!

I wasn't so brave.. I tacked a couple of steele braces under the windshild/dash framing to the floorboard to hold the frame in its proper place so that it didn't sag. Therefore, it was my hope, my measurements for door hinges, width of opening, squareness of engine compartment all stayed the same. Never doing any type of body work before I guess I was a bit paranoid.

I wish I could say I know the ultimate outcome, but I can't as we are still cutting away rusted areas on the truck, but the whole inner front end is new as well as both door hinge posts and both the driver and passanger footwell pans. The passanger side door strike plate is cut out at the moment.

Oh, the door does work fine in the driver side opening useing this method. Sorry no pic's to share :(

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Couple of tricks, first Measure, measure, measure. then write all the numbers along with a sketch on paper. measure the top of the door opening, the bottom across the interior, you get the picture. Next cut a piece of wood that just wedges between the bottom of the dash and the floor so when everyting is apart it won't sag. then tack weld everything into place just enough to support everything. Put the doors on, put the fender on and look at the alignment. then massage the pieces as necessary to make the seams all line up. then take off the door and the fender and finish up the welds. and paint. It may take time, so don't rush it. It was my first "major" body work (other than panels) and it came out really well.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Allen,

I 'm gonna give it a go next week i hope.

By the way...Where did you get your inner fenders, kick panels, etc...? Were you happy with the fit?

Thanks Again,

Andy

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
I got them at Jeff's, and yes I'm happy with the fit, but that doesn't mean that I didn't have to "adjust" a few areas. Just remember you have to break a few eggs to make an omlet ;D