• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Running new fuel line - Metal vs Nylon

xtreme732908

I am in the process of running a new fuel line for my single rear tank 77 Bronco. I'm leaning towards metal lines, but not sure the hassle of bending tube is worth it. Can someone comment on nylon vs metal tube? Is there a benefit to going metal?

If I go metal, what dimension tube should I use?

What is the best way to support/strap down the fuel line once it's installed?

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
I used BC’s fuel line kit. It has the lines pre-bent and has the brackets to hold the lines to the frame. If I were to do it again I would buy the lines from the parts house and use BC’s brackets.

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
I used the aluminum fuel line from Speedway Motors. I bought a cheepo bender that does 3 different sizes. Stuff was easy to bend. Pressure rating is good on it too but don't have the numbers. Steel would obviously be stronger but running on top of the rail I figured it would be well protected. As far as bolting it down, Wildhorses has some pretty nice stainless clamps. They can be found on ebay also.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nylon lines and exhaust don't tend to get along so well...I'd stick with steel or aluminum given the space constraints on an EB frame.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I like the nylon , I can get junk yard Ford EFI fittings and make my own connections by heating up the tubing, for unions & other adapters I use push connect fittings

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your going carb, I highly recommend stock nylon, it couldn't be easier. That stuff lasted 46 years the first time, and contrary to others, does fine with headers just don't get it close or maybe route outside frame last few feet.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
I just installed the prebent lines this weekend, but it's obvious that unless you're doing a frame-off, that's a tough way to do it. Finally got 'em all wiggled and tweaked in, and finishing up the plumbing this week (went with a Carter 4070).

When the bronc was suffering bad vapor lock in Colorado last year, a salty ol' mechanic in Ouray told me that an electric fuel pump, steel lines and moving the exhaust away from the lines would fix me up. It makes sense that steel lines will dissipate heat well and move fuel quickly (as opposed to rubber). But the factory nylon worked well, IMHO, and I would've left it if I hadn't hacked up up over the years.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I used 3/8 stainless. I bought it from Summit Racing. I am use to working with the lengths of steel line that you get from the auto parts stores. The stainless is a dream to work with. I normally use a bender when working with the steel line but the stainless was actually easier to form by hand and was easy to keep it from crimping. Obviously if you wanted a real tight tunr the bender is better but otherwise all hand formed. It's a bit more difficult to put a double inverted flare on to it though. Estecially the 1/16" brake lines I did with the same type of material.

I had in the past used aluminum lines. After having them crack a couple times I abandoned that idea.

I have not been a big fan of nylon tube. Ever system that I have played with that was installed for a few years was very brittle.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Nylon DOT airbrake line works great. I use the reinforced DOT airbrake line and push to connect fittings that have fuel compatible o-rings. I have been using this for about 10 years and never had an issue.

It comes in many colors, so I use red for pressure and blue for return lines on most projects, but have also used black and silver for a more subdued look on others.

It is cheap, easy to work with, super tough and can be warmed up in boiling water or with a heat gun and can be pressed onto the barbed fitting on stock Ford EFI lines fittings or fuel rails.

I get it through McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#d.o.t.-tubing/=hn1ieg

Broncos came with nylon fuel lines from the factory and most of those I have removed are still in good shape 40 years later. I really see no advantage to metal in most applications.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I just redid mine with nylon. The PO had ripped it all out and run rubber line from tank to carb. %). Everything slipped right in place. The hardest part is getting the fittings in. I did it the hard way with 2 hands and boiling water. There is a tool that makes it easy as well as just using the slip fit oring fittings.

NAPA had everything I needed within a day. IIRC total including an inline fuel filter was $40-50.

J-man

Loc.
Holladay, UT
Call summit tell them you need 3/8 aluminum 20' roll and appropriate AN fittings. Get the summit fuel filter and buy some stainless hold downs. This tubing bends super easy by had for the small bends. Now if you need to do a 90degree bend buy a $6 harbor freight bender.

Attachments

• IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 172

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
The metal line from NAPA is very easy to work with and bends easily. I bought the 3/8" tubing in 6' sections and had no issues bending it into place. I would recommend just buying the sticks and bending it into position as you go. It worked well for me and was really easy. The tubing says NAPA on it, but it is made by these guys.

http://www.agscompany.com/automotive

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I went with the nylon from JBG (maybe it was LMC?). Its cheep and works fine. I went with about 12" of rubber between the tank and fuel filter. Then a 2" or 3" chunk of rubber between the filter and the nylon line. Then again a small chunk of rubber from the line to the fuel pump. I went with rubber from the fuel pump to the carb filter. The double clamps are from Wildhorses and are perfect for the gas and the brake lines.

Attachments

• IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 149

cs_88

Bronco Guru
When I replaced my lines I ordered the nylon that Jeff's sells that is 5/16" (which they claim is stock size) but all my lines were 3/8".
The nylon line I ended up using was Dorman 800-075.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
For fuel and brake line clamps I prefer the ones from Totally Stainless (page 3 of catalog in link). Nice, clean and simple design which looks great when secured with their specially made stainless button head sheet metal screws.

They make them in singe and double configurations of various sizes.

http://www.totallystainless.com/2010catalog/catalog37.pdf

I also like the double line snap in nylon clamps (bottom of page) for the DOT airbrake line I use for fuel line. The ones just above it look like they may work very nice as well and are even less expensive.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1526/=hnjfkl

Again, clean and cheap at only about $.50 each.