• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech Port EFI Has Anyone Tried This?

Jamie Chriss

I am starting the process of building my wishlist for my future 351 build and want to use FiTech EFI, I saw this in Toms catalog, it looks like a clean system.

FiTech Go Port 351W 200-550 HP Matte Black

Go Port 351W 200-550 HP Matte Black TB
Part No: #32454
PRICE: $1,795.00

Overview
Features
Compare
Tech
Go Port EFI
550 HP and 1050 HP Systems
Imagine if port style EFI was as simple as throttle body style EFI. Having the advantages of easy installation of the throttle body EFI and yet having the precision fuel distribution of port style EFI. FiTech has bridged the gap with the Go Port EFI System. We have combined a high flow FiTech throttle body (with the ECU mounted right on it) together with a high quality port style manifold. Then we installed FiTech brand Hi Flo injectors mounted in fuel rails. This all combines to become the most advanced self-learning port EFI system on the planet.

Go Port Kit Contents
900 CFM matte black throttle body
Throttle body-mounted sequential fuel ECU
2.5 BAR MAP sensor built into the throttle body
Self-Learning Technology with simple engine setup
2.5 inch touch screen Hand Held tuner with suction cup windshield mount
All engine specific kits include a high-quality, aftermarket, port EFI style intake manifold
High flow fuel rails
(8) FiTech Hi-Flo 42-lb injectors for 550 HP kits, 70-lb for 1,050 HP kits
4.2 wide band O2 sensor and stainless steel clamp or weld bung kit
6-pin sub harness with flagged lead destinations
Coolant temperature sensor
TPS, IAC, IAT, & BARO sensors integrated into the throttle body
Throttle Body Gasket Kit

Attachments

• fif-80117_s.jpg
    fif-80117_s.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 399

KeithKinPhx

Interesting. I just put the 400 FiTech on and it runs great.

My first thought was for that money couldn't you get true fuel injections using a Mustang intake?

On the other hand the FiTech set up does look pretty bad ass.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And closer and closer to the next level. This may well be it.

I didn't go TBI for numerous issues they just couldn't answer. SFI is the answer, but curious as it sounds like they only use one O2 sensor. Holley has this with two sensors, and an off engine control module, but for a little more. Thats were im leaning.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
They are coming around... glad to see it!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I am not a fan of these type systems as they are extremely misleading. For starters they are at best bank fire meaning they fire all injectors all the time. There is no real benefit unlike a sequential injection system is over TBI. Holley supposedly has this but it needs more timing input than an 8 Paddle reluctor in a distributor. Factory systems are sequential Injection if you want that.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am not a fan of these type systems as they are extremely misleading. For starters they are at best bank fire meaning they fire all injectors all the time. There is no real benefit unlike a sequential injection system is over TBI. Holley supposedly has this but it needs more timing input than an 8 Paddle reluctor in a distributor. Factory systems are sequential Injection if you want that.

Holley claims sequential.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru

Bank or batch fire is perfectly fine in our applications and was great for 20 years on OEM. I have used batch and sequential and the only time you can tell the difference is at idle. There is no power difference but there is an emissions difference and possibly a small mileage gain.

What I dislike about this setup is it inherits the crappy intake design of a carburated engine which is exactly why you go port EFI - to get equal, long runners to build power. This set up has long and short runners.

The factory parts are the best but the controllers are not very friendly that is why I use OEM parts and MegaSquirt - you can even go SEFI if you want.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Cost is a factor for me, but I have less than that in my latest conversion for the engine, excellent factory injection and it moving down the road, but its brand X and everyone here hates brand X:p

KeithKinPhx

Wow that Edelbrock system looks amazing. Unfortunately $3K is a little too rich for my income bracket.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exactly, but that's almost where these current TBIs came in at when they were new 5 years ago. Now, $500

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
At that point I would go with Mustang or Explorer EFI for a small fraction of the cost.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Optimal for 1/4 mile or cruising and rock crawling? :)

All the designs are trade offs. I wager on a dyno you would be hard pressed to notice a difference at our user range. Heck, even the fitech stuff is just a little better than a regular carb, but gives you an easier start up. Many guys using the oem stuff are having issues now.

My only beef with OEM is cost to bring everything up to "as new" condition. I still may do this. But even then the A9L is on it's last days needs to be replaced with another type ECM. By the time you get done doing that and pay for a tune, your close to or above these new systems cost with no noticeable difference in performance.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
This thread is what makes the Explorer OBDII such a great alternative. For the cost of a FiTech electric carb, you could drive home an Explorer and dismantle it.

Mark

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Again you will get many differences of opinions on runner length etc. I try to design our systems based around actual useage, spend money where it does the most good etc. Worrying over exact length of runners etc. is merited however the difference in loss vs gain that you can actually notice and use are so minimal that it comes down to the spend and bottom line the look you are after. For me, I love the old school look of a big air cleaner and carb type setup so I migrate to the TBI systems for clean install and minimal visual impact. I'm sure the other systems work equally as well in an everyday use bronco. We are not blasting down a strip where we are trying to shave fractions of a second however we do want that seat of the pants dyno to be felt every time we mash the skinny pedal. Every step you take will have adverse effects somewhere else in the system. If you want that great lopey idle, you will sacrifice torque down low as well as smooth cruise quality, you have to figure on your end results that you will be happy with.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This thread is what makes the Explorer OBDII such a great alternative. For the cost of a FiTech electric carb, you could drive home an Explorer and dismantle it.

Mark
And a 20 year old setup with the problems of a 20 year old setup.

I've looked at 30 or so explorers in junkyards here in AZ. Not one of them would I use the wire harness, injectors, sensors, pulleys, MAF, etc.

They are brittle, cracked, chaffed, exposed. Injectors/connectors crack when pulled. MAFs are worn out. Sensors are corroded. Engine control units are poor shape at best.

So you basically have an intake, and need to buy thousands in parts to make it work. I'm sure there is the grandpa's low mileage survivor out there which is in good shape, but none in any junkyard I've seen. Heck, I would say less than 1 out of 10 front dresses are usable.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
That is because you are in the oven of the US - stuff up here is perfectly fine in the yard for the most part. I'm still using the original fan, clutch, water pump (ya, I didn't even replace that) and alternator fro the "crap" I pulled out of the yard. The only thing I ha had to replace was the bearings on the pulleys, but I'm thinking my sand blasting them for paint had more to do with that than anything else.

The FiTech is a great option for that original look and fairly simple install. I love the Ford EECIV stuff too, it isn't all that complicated in direct wiring hookup, but the complexity of the MAF and sequential injection coupled with the ignition systems can look daunting, but in reality it isn't.

It all comes down to your capability and parts sourceability.