• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech Port EFI Has Anyone Tried This?

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
And a 20 year old setup with the problems of a 20 year old setup.

I've looked at 30 or so explorers in junkyards here in AZ. Not one of them would I use the wire harness, injectors, sensors, pulleys, MAF, etc.

They are brittle, cracked, chaffed, exposed. Injectors/connectors crack when pulled. MAFs are worn out. Sensors are corroded. Engine control units are poor shape at best.

So you basically have an intake, and need to buy thousands in parts to make it work. I'm sure there is the grandpa's low mileage survivor out there which is in good shape, but none in any junkyard I've seen. Heck, I would say less than 1 out of 10 front dresses are usable.

Well factor in the rust belt as having the same issues. I just don't see the point in buying a truck with 180K on it and swapping in all that high-mileage crap.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Well factor in the rust belt as having the same issues. I just don't see the point in buying a truck with 180K on it and swapping in all that high-mileage crap.

I set this one up, Explorer 5.0 and 4R trans. 195,000 mi. It’s been on the road for 2 years now. As many mi. It gets driven every year, It’ll be good for a few more years. I’d use that time as a shake down then go through the motor and trans as needs be. That’s worked out fine so far. These aren’t customers spending big $ on high dollar builds, just brothers in our group getting their builds headed in the right direction.

Mark

Attachments

• 654B5E38-6221-4805-9991-DEA366D53033.jpg
    654B5E38-6221-4805-9991-DEA366D53033.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 27

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
just wondering, has anyone added up the cost for all new parts for factory efi? that are available anyway

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not to the penny, but between the top end bolt on parts and the serpentine setup and running a distributor instead of the DIS, I have about the same amount of money into a Ford EFI setup as I would in a modern new TBI.
Not including any new sensors or the wiring harness yet. Or a roller cam and conversion if you were so inclined.
I'm sure some are less now, but 10 years ago a friend bought a low-mileage Mountaineer motor and distributor from the local Pick-n-Pull for $1000 plus what we had to give for the RJM harness and a few new sensors. So at least he got the whole engine. Today the whole vehicle is less than that!

That's given the prices of parts in junkyards around here. Most areas are probably less, but you literally pay for every nut and bolt and stud and pulley and wheel and bracket and upper and lower intakes and all of that as individual pieces.
I almost said forget it even after pulling all the parts. Still really wanted to try the factory stuff though, so got it anyway.

Your results may vary of course. And nowadays a complete Explorer is probably less than just the few components necessary if you bought them separately from a local Pick-n-Pull. Other regions that still have a proprietor that says "well, that'll be about $100 for the lot" would likely net you all that you needed short of any needed sensors or wiring for MUCH less than purchasing a new TBI.
But not around here.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
just wondering, has anyone added up the cost for all new parts for factory efi? that are available anyway

About $1,500 to $2,000 for all new OEM parts. Not including purchasing the upper/lower intake and front dress plus that stuff if you want to keep it all explorerish.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I think that I went GM TBI about 10+ years ago. That's the oem version of the Holley Pro injection. That said my rig has been great for all those years of hard off road use. Places like Moab, Utah every year, Fordcyce creek, Dusy Ershirm etc. I'm just about done replacing the 351 with another rebuilt engine and the GM is going back to work. If it's not broke don't fix it.
I do have a Holley pro injection system I took off a friend's Bronco. He could never get it to run correctly. I traded him a Ford 2 barrel and he loves it.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
how does the gm tbi install? can you run duraspark with it? does it control timing? tell us more. LOL!

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Edelbrock Pro-Flo 3 EFI Systems - this baby almost doubles the price, but it seams to answer allot of questions.

I have nothing against the Ford OEM fuel injection personnally but these new systems are so clean looking!

Attachments

• side-2.jpg
    side-2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 32

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bingo, eye on that one as well. Just waiting for them to go a few more years and come up with the next level.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
how does the gm tbi install? can you run duraspark with it? does it control timing? tell us more. LOL!

The GM is a 3 bolt throttle body for a 2 barrel manifold so there's an adapter involved. Low pressure fuel pressure (15-19 psi) so that helps with the need for high pressure fuel lines. I ran the return back to the tank vent. 4 sensors, MAP (manifold absolute pressure), O2, coolant temp, and TPS (throttle position). A guy could buy a 95 or older(last year of the TBI) pickup, camaro or firebird with a 305 or 350 cubic inch engine for (sometimes) a song. With a filter between the tank and a frame mounted (close to tank) fuel pump. No it doesn't not control timing. Your oem distributor with vacuum advance can continue doing what's it done for many decades. I have an after market spacer between the Throttle body and the air cleaner to clear the distributor but there is a factory spacer out there (somewhere). In all it works quite well. I laid the bronco on the side three times and two of the three I had to turn the engine off as it was still running. Yes, a cut off device is available but if the rig gets bumped hard enough (i.e. bumping a rock) could cause the inersha switch to operate killing the engine. I elected to leave it out of the picture. It kills power to the electric fuel pump. PS it's also good idea to carry a spare pump. I do. I bought a new 23 gallon fuel tank from one of our vendors and there was enough welding slag inside the tank to destroy to pump (hence the pre pump filter). I also don't run a surge tank. The system has never starved the engine for fuel (many times the rig has been going "almost" straight up or straight down). I also NEVER go out for the day without a full tank of fuel (ya never know what's going to happen).

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Crush, there are several companies out there that are using this GM format. You may want to look at them. If you want to build your own, try to find a half ton pickup you can buy "cheap" as long at it's intact under the hood. If you follow a schematic you can get a "el cheapo" shop manual that has the schematics in the back of the book. I've cut them out of the book, taken them to someplace like office depot, staples etc and have them blown up to any size you can view better. My prints are the size of building construction prints. Makes 'em easier to read and follow. Fellow free to private message me if I can help.

Tucknkitty

I have a first gen FAST EZ EFI. it really is a great setup but I feel like I’m leaving drive ability and performance on the table.

I do like the pro flo and the fast multiport set up and that it maintains the air cleaner / look.

Other than price is there anything separating the factory sefi /maf setups and these?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes factory means about a billion miles of testing and reliability and availability of parts. Maybe less cost if junk yarding it but that's becoming rather rarer.

I used to say you could get an oem part like the A9L computer at autozone in a day. I just checked, 1-2 weeks to order one from their warehouse. So OEM sort of lost it's "get a part anywhere" glory.

I'm going aftermarket someday, when the tech allows for accurate reading of the MAP and O2 loops. Right now I think both are a bit wonky in accuracy.