• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Custom fuel tank?

drroy

Anyone make their own. I have about 200 things that need to get done on my truck before upgrading the tank is a serious consideration. But the aftermarket 23 gallon tank setups are not inexpensive. The materials to make one would be a fraction of the cost and it doesn’t seem like a particularly complex project. wondering if anyone has made one?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Bill aka BMC69

Search his threads.

He made the last one about a year ago or less,

OP
OP
D

drroy

Thanks I found the thread. I don’t have AC tig, so aluminum not an option. Probably stell or stainless for mine

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I've been considering it myself. Did the figures and dimensions and so forth. Planning on using steel. I have the bending tools at work to help...just not convinced my welding skills are up to the task :( Even so, I think if you had the pieces cut and bent and ready to fit together even paying a shop to weld it up would be cheaper than buying one and paying for shipping.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you make one, fill it up with water and pressure test it with a bicycle tire pump so any leaks can be repaired. You only need like 5 psi so you don't kill yourself. Straight air is bad if you burst a tank and using fuel becomes a problem to fix if you have leaks.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Anyone seen any plans on web ? Have friend with metal company with CNC plasma cutters and robotic tig welders if could show him the details.