• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did I Kill my hydroboost?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Accidentally reversed the pressure hoses to my astrovan hydroboost unit.

Routed the hi-pressure hose from the pump to the high pressure OUTLET on the HBoost unit instead of the inlet side.

Never could get it to bleed (obviously). Went through the whole bleeding procedure a couple times, drove it around the block a few times before I discovered that the hoses were reversed.

Swapped the hoses to the correct way and now I still can’t seem to get it to bleed. Even with the hoses routed correctly the steering has almost no assist and a funky brake pedal. The pump wines like crazy and spits fluid through that tiny hole in the cap too.

I know all of theses are signs of air in the lines but I’m wondering if killed the hydroboost when I put it through a workout with the lines reversed.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Side question: Should that small hole in the cap just be a open port? Seems like it would have a screen, or something that would all air to escape but not let dirt/debris in.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
I was also going to disconnect the high pressure hose where it goes in to the HYdroboost and crank the truck to see if the pump is working properly. Visually, what kind of pressure or volume of fluid should I see coming from the Saginaw pump?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Hydroboost should be fine. I did the same thing and ran the lines backwards. Drove it for a couple of days and couldn't figure out why the brakes sucked. Swapped them around and it stops on a dime. No damage done.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Hydroboost should be fine. I did the same thing and ran the lines backwards. Drove it for a couple of days and couldn't figure out why the brakes sucked. Swapped them around and it stops on a dime. No damage done.

Thank you for the feedback

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Small update but no improvements.

Disconnected the high pressure line from the steering pump at the hydroboost and had my wife crank it to see if it was pumping. Seemed to be moving a good pit of fluid but it also seemed a bit irratic and not in the solid stream that I would have thought. Reconnected it to the hydroboost.

Took the high pressure line off at the steering box and had my wife crank it. A good bit of fluid came out here too so the fluid does seem to be making it all the way to the box...

I then had her press and hold the brake pedal with it running a NO fluid came out of the high pressure hose. That doesn’t sound like it’s right.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
'Ya big tease!?:?

Paul

Lol. The truth is that I didn’t get to drive it around the block for for the official test but steering was SO much better.

I spent 3.5 hours going through that tedious bleeding process of cycling steering, adding fluid, letting he air bubbles settle, checking for leaks.

I’ve bled the steering/hydroboost system in my bronco at least 6 times in the 12 years I’ve owned it and it has never required more than about 20 minutes to get it in at least drivable condition.

Even when I did my 4x4x2 conversion it didn’t take NEARLY the effort!!

I’ll test drive after work today and report back.

Thanks!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Takes me about 3+ hrs to bleed my P/S system with the hydroboost... can't hurry it.

Hope it works for ya!!

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Test drive went well. Seems to be
operating back to normal. We’ll see once I get it in the trail.

Thanks gang