• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2001 Explorer 5.0 4WD w/200k--worth buying?

ChrisR

My '71 still has the factory 302 in it. I know the PO put in a cam, but I don't know what other work has been done to the motor. I am running a newly-built (less than 500 mi) AOD w/4R70w gearing. Have new shorty headers, too. No body lift.

Last night, our babysitter pulled up in a 2001 Explorer 5.0 4WD that just turned over 200k mi. She has had it for the last 7 years, and it's her daily driver. Said she hasn't had any problems. Told me that she thought she was "hearing a noise, got the oil changed, and now it's fine." Think I can get the Explorer for about $1,000.

BIG QUESTIONS: Should I be scared of the mileage? Is the '01 a good donor (have read about the different heads)? Is a 200k Explorer swap better than the bolt-ons? Will I have to have body lift?

I am not a mechanic, but I have buddies that are and have done a Mustang swap recently. Please give me any advice or suggestion you might have. THANKS!

Last edited:

BroncoChicken

Chris,
The Explorer EFI system is better than any of the bolt on throttle body kits. Period.

Are you planning to have the motor rebuilt? My buddy’s explorer donor had 160k. He dropped it off at the machine shop expecting a full rebuild, but the crosshatching was still visible in the cylinders and the bearings all looked good. I would do the same. It’s easier to rebuild now if needed than pulling it all out again later. The GT40P heads are great if your headers fit. Where’d you get the headers? I have a 1” body lift and there were two things I needed to fix for hood clearance. The coil pack bracket needs to be cut down and the power steering reservoir should be moved down and back a bit. EFIGuy did the harness and computer tune, runs like a champ.

OP
OP
C

ChrisR

Thank you for the information. I would definitely want to get it checked out and assessed for a rebuild; good advice. I bought the headers from WH; from what I've seen the GT40P heads will require different headers. Thank you for the mod breakdown, and I will definitely look into the EFIGuy before diving into it. Thanks again!

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I would buy it ..., I pulled my 97 Explorer motor with 180K on it . Bought the whole truck bad trans but the motor would run I did a compression test, all tested good . I was going to rebuild the motor but decided to put the money elsewhere for the swap. It adds up. Anyway several thousand miles later that motor is still going strong. I did pull the oil pan and valve covers very clean inside, well taken care of. I put a new oil pump, T chain and water pump on it. I’m using BH shorties for my GT40P heads.

fishinman78

Contributor
I bought my last two explorers for $400 and $450. The first one had 220k the second one had 180k. I am in Oregon and they come up for $750 all the time. I think $1000 might be a little too much. That is just my opinion though.

OP
OP
C

ChrisR

I would buy it ..., I pulled my 97 Explorer motor with 180K on it . Bought the whole truck bad trans but the motor would run I did a compression test, all tested good . I was going to rebuild the motor but decided to put the money elsewhere for the swap. It adds up. Anyway several thousand miles later that motor is still going strong. I did pull the oil pan and valve covers very clean inside, well taken care of. I put a new oil pump, T chain and water pump on it. I’m using BH shorties for my GT40P heads.

I bought my last two explorers for $400 and $450. The first one had 220k the second one had 180k. I am in Oregon and they come up for $750 all the time. I think $1000 might be a little too much. That is just my opinion though.

Tiko and Fishinman, thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Probably worth digging into service history, doing a compression check, and investigating the truck a little further. I can also see how low I could negotiate a price. If the motor, trans, and price are right, even if I don't put it in for a while or at all, it's worth the purchase. Could always offer it up to a Bronco brother/sister if I don't use it. Thanks, guys!

OP
OP
C

ChrisR

It was her high school/college car. She graduated and has taught for the last year or two. She just wants something nicer.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
97 with 180k. Headed to the machine shop to determine what it needs, but the cylinder walls and bearings look good.

Attachments

• 0E901F93-4300-4130-A5B2-7316701AB99F.jpg
    0E901F93-4300-4130-A5B2-7316701AB99F.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 38