• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power sterring box options

67bondobronc

One luxury item that many EB owners invest in (if their EB did not come with it) is power steering. Trying to turn 33’s and up with manual steering can give you a workout and save money on a gym membership but it gets old fast. Listed below are the most popular options we have when it comes to power steering gearboxes. Since power steering is a luxury then you can expect it to be priced as such. (Any vendor mentioned in this FAQ is not meant as an endorsement of said vendor or their products.)

Stock power steering- If you are lucky enough to find a parts EB with power steering or someone selling their gear box then this is the easiest way to add power steering to your EB. There are several EB vendors who sell stock kits. If you find a steering gear that just needs a rebuild then you can do that yourself or send it off to West Texas Offroad, there have been many compliments on the Board about these guys.

Another option is taking a 78 or 79 Ford 4x4 gear box and an early 80’s Ford 2wd gear box and then swapping our the internals. This option does require you to re-drill one/maybe two mounting holes and several vendors sell a brace (with holes already drilled) that needs to be used. The swapping of the internals is very easy and the directions can be found on BC Broncos Tech page. The problem with this option is finding the 78 or 79 4x4 box, once you find that the rest is gravy.

A third option is using a Ford 2wd box from the mid 70’s. This box does mount to the inside of the frame so it does make for a tight fit. Also this box hangs down farther than the stock box and at least a 2” lift is strongly suggested. Wildhorses 4x4 does sell a brace that can be used to make using this gear box easier. One nice thing about this option is that finding a mid 70’s power steering gear box in the junkyard is easy.

Scout steering gearboxes have been used by several on classicbroncos with great success. This box mounts to the outside of the frame just as the stock EB. One problem with this option would be locating it.

Dare I say it? Well, another option is using a late 80’s Toyota or Nissan power steering box. Puget Sound Vintage Broncos has a complete write-up on what is involved in using a Toyota box at http://www.psvb.com/tech_ps.htm.
One definite plus to this option is the ability to find a Toyota or Nissan in a junkyard.

This FAQ is meant to provide a general overview of the options we have for power steering on our EB’s. With the great fabrication I have seen on this site over the years almost anything is possible when it comes to adding power steering. All of the vendors sell complete kits but with a little legwork on your part you could save several hundred dollars by doing it yourself. If you have any additional information you think should be added to this FAQ please respond below.

OP
OP

67bondobronc

Thanks to PonchOv for the following information. The Scout box needs to be reworked much like the Ford 4x4 box. It turn reverse and need to have the internals changed. Also two mounting holes need to be redrilled.

All info. is greatly appreciated.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The scout box can be bought with all new internals for about 250.00 dollars. I fits in the same location as the stock bronco box and only one hole has to be drille. The cases are the same except for the mounting holes. Great choice.

pmader

Loc.
Truckee CA
toyota steering box

The Toyota steering box requires modifications to the pitman arm to work. The stock Toyota box has a ~7 inches of travel and a Dana 44 needs a 8 inches, so the stock box and pitman arm has to be lengthened to allow for maximized turning.

Canito

Are all power steering boxes from the early bronco the same? Or it is any difference between some years? I got a PSB from a friend and want to know this info

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
99-04 jeep grand cherokee delphi boxes are geat options aswell they are the same as a stock bronco box with one extra hole which can be used if desired. however the sector shaft is DD so you'll need a flaming river steering yoke or something similar which a few bronco vendors carry.

i'm not sure if they need to be modified similar to a ford 4x4 box or not.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
NOT... I've got full lock to lock with my Yoda box that was on my rig for over 12 years... All pitman arms need to be the correct length to allow for full turning radius. Yoda box is a great easy inexpensive conversion...especially back in the day when there weren't as many box options.

The Toyota steering box requires modifications to the pitman arm to work. The stock Toyota box has a ~7 inches of travel and a Dana 44 needs a 8 inches, so the stock box and pitman arm has to be lengthened to allow for maximized turning.