• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI Mass Buy Feeler.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So besides the explorer motor harness and noted fuse blocks, I should also grab the explorer camshaft sensor which replaces the dizzy, right?

Will any reasonable tuner be able to dial the tune in this ECM? I'm planning to use lopers here in PHX.

akirshbom

I'm sure it's not intentional but in any case it's uncool to hijack a vendor's thread, ask for advice and suggest having your work done by a non-vendor. Gary EFI guy has been generous with sharing his knowledge. he's helped many here do the swap and he is in the business of reworking the harnesses and having the PCM flashed. Maybe you should consider giving him a shot at what you need, since this is his thread your posting to.
My $.02 from the angry guy in the back of the forum.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I am also interested in his product but would prefer to throw it on a Dyno and have it tuned. His main product isn't likely the tuning so I think it was a valid question.

Passauf

Contact info

Does anyone have a contact phone number or e-mail address foe EFI guy. Thx

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Sorry guys, I haven't been on the forum much lately. Y'all have me pretty backed up in harnesses at the moment. I'm trying my best to stay on top of them so that a "Anyone use EFI guy lately?" thread doesn't pop up. I even have my wife putting in a couple hours every night with me.;)

I'm planning on a pretty long winded post to update you guys on what's been going on, some new findings, and even adding some new tech. I just want to get a couple higher priority orders out the door first. I'll address the differences between what I do and the typical tuner then.

73AZ, yes you'll want the 5.0 cam sensor as well (unless you're running a 351).

JGZ

Picked up my harness and ecm from Garry last night.Everything looks great.Now just need to find the time to install.Looks like the Colorado boys are keeping busy.
Thanks agian Garry and wife.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So I finally started working on 68 LUBR / 98 Explorer EFI / 4R70W...

I went with the Ford Windstar ECU mount rather than the Explorer. The Explorer mount is big, it sticks farther into the firewall, so more clearance on the engine side. But it takes up space inside.
Since I am running BCB A/C I needed the clearance... When everything is painted and dried, I will post the final pictures...

Here is the hole in the firewall from a 98 Windstar van... (6 1/4" x 1 5/8" approx) It is not easy getting the bracket out. Pull the glove box and remove HVAC mounts, apply force, and wiggle it out...

Holes for BCB bulkhead connectors...

Attachments

• DSCN1401.jpg
    DSCN1401.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCN1400.jpg
    DSCN1400.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCN1406.jpg
    DSCN1406.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCN1405.jpg
    DSCN1405.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 385
  • DSCN1402.jpg
    DSCN1402.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Windstar ECU openning.jpg
    Windstar ECU openning.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 361
  • DSCN1407.jpg
    DSCN1407.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 357

pa69broncoguy

windstar mount

That van mount is really nice, I may have to go hunt for one of those. It looks like there is a lot more support for the computer. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Thanks for posting the pictures of the Windstar mount in place! That looks awesome and is a great option. Here are 2 others that I've been planning to share:

pcmcases.jpg

The one on the left is from a 2003 Ford Escape. It is made out of metal and is completely enclosed (no open hole in the back like the Explorer mount). It is about the same size as the Explorer case and is more of a flush mount like the Explorer.

They are super easy to remove. Once the face plate is off you just need to pop up the plastic cowl that covers the wiper linkage up and you can get to the two 8mm bolts on the side. The little bracket that is bolted to the back of it can be removed as well.

The one on the right came from a mid 90's fullsize van. It was meant to be mounted vertically but it seems sturdy enough to mount horizontally. It doesn't mount as deep as the Explorer or Escape brackets do. It sticks out an inch or so like the Windstar bracket does. The vertical mount might help for someone that has A/C taking up some real estate.

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Also, I guess it's time to announce the price increase. As much I try to keep things as affordable as possible to everyone, I need to raise the price from $450 plus shipping to $500 plus shipping to offset my increased costs. This is for new customers only.

When I first started doing this, it was more of a hobby thing for me and still is. You guys have been great and have been keeping me super busy! I never really expected it to take off as much as it has. It is to the point where I have seriously considered quitting my day job to give this the attention it deserves and reduce my backlog. However, it's hard to let go of the stability of a steady paycheck and I'm not quite to the point where I would be comfortable enough to make that plunge.

Having said that, the harness work is VERY time consuming and not exactly very profitable. All said and done, I might make minimum wage doing them. The biggest reason I do them (aside from the fact that I actually enjoy it) is that I make decent money in a small amount of time doing the computer flashing. That doesn't mean that I won't do a harness for you if you are going to go to a local tuner. It does mean that you won't get the discount that I provide doing both services together.

As far as going to your local tuner goes, I can't tell you what they can and can't do. So, you need to quiz them rather extensively on what their abilities are with the Explorer computers.

When I was shopping around for tuning software to do these I found the support for the Explorer to be very minimal from all of the big name companies. Their focus was on getting you a little more HP or a little more MPG on a stock vehicle, not swapping it in to a vehicle that doesn't have the OBD2 provisions.

I ended up paying someone to develop the software that I use and to focus on the needed settings that allow me to do the things that the big name guys don't or can't. As a result, I get messages on here from people that found me through Google to fix things after their dyno session. I also get a few from people that bought hand held tuners that will not even disable PATS properly. So, quiz your tuner on his abilities extensively before you dyno it, that way you don't have to send it to me to get it fixed later.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks for posting the pictures of the Windstar mount in place! That looks awesome and is a great option. Here are 2 others that I've been planning to share:

View attachment 329134

The one on the left is from a 2003 Ford Escape. It is made out of metal and is completely enclosed (no open hole in the back like the Explorer mount). It is about the same size as the Explorer case and is more of a flush mount like the Explorer.

They are super easy to remove. Once the face plate is off you just need to pop up the plastic cowl that covers the wiper linkage up and you can get to the two 8mm bolts on the side. The little bracket that is bolted to the back of it can be removed as well.

The one on the right came from a mid 90's fullsize van. It was meant to be mounted vertically but it seems sturdy enough to mount horizontally. It doesn't mount as deep as the Explorer or Escape brackets do. It sticks out an inch or so like the Windstar bracket does. The vertical mount might help for someone that has A/C taking up some real estate.

I was going to post up about the fullsize van option. I used it ~2 years ago and it fit perfect for my application. It's easy to get out of the van as well....right above the gas pedal.

Attachments

• computer.jpg
    computer.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 482

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Garry, glad everything is keeping you busy. Hope you took a break today. Happy Anniversary Garry and Michelle!

OP
OP
EFI Guy

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Thanks Mike! We did take the night off. I figured since we worked through both of our birthdays and V-day that I better take her out to dinner before takes me out in my sleep.

We just had a nice dinner and saw Last Vegas.

Jack77

I am looking to convert to a 5.0 efi and love this post, The question I have from reading tons of other posts on converting is will the Explorer 5.0 fit under a stock hood without using a mustang intake? If so I'll start looking for a explorer tomorrow.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Since no one has answered up I'll give you my take in this. My setup is all Explorer. It all fits fine under my stock hood with a 2" body lift. The only thing close is the oil filler neck which I have seen another guy shorten in his post. Best I can tell everything else looks like it will clear.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I'm running the Explorer intake and stock 1968 body mounts and it all fit under the hood. I did have to trim the top off the bracket that holds the power steering pump but other than that nothing is hitting the underside of the hood.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
All also add that I'm running stock type motor mounts that have the bolt that goes through them so they can not come apart. I got them at AutoZone but I think one of the vendors sells, or used to sell them. I do not believe the heavy duty mounts that the vendos sell will work with a stock hood or no body lift.