• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where is the VIN located?

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
The VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a unique number assigned to each vehicle. It's what Motor Vehicle Departments use to license and track vehicles. When you go for emissions, transfer title or move to a new state the inspector will probably look for your VIN. Since they may or may not know Broncos very well it's smart for you to know the various locations so you can point them in the right direction.

Location #1 - Your glove box door. It will be stamped (along with other info) on a metal tag that's riveted to the inside face of your glove box door. Since it's very easy to remove the door, this is often lost or even swapped with another truck. A smart inspector will look for the more permanent locations.

Location #2 - On later models the VIN is on a laminated paper tag adhered to the driver's side door post. (not the door itself, but the jamb)

Location #3 - Stamped into the top of the frame, on the passenger's side, right below the firewall. You can see it from the engine bay, but it can be hard. You'll probably need to wire brush off years of grime and/or rust to see it. Rubbing some chalk on the area helps too.

Location #4 - On early years (66-67) the VIN is on the driver's side kick panel.​

Attachments

• vin2.jpg
    vin2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 596
  • vin.jpg
    vin.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,103
Last edited:

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
If you are sitting on the drivers seat it is the panel by your feet, to the left of the pedals.

funnycar

The vin is on the inside of the glove box door. The other is on the frame on the passenger side, look straight down the firewall to the frame and thats were its located.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Here you go, circled in red.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 328

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Here is the rear, again circled in red!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 271

cabinhound2013

Question: most of the sticker has been removed from the drivers side door post, is it possible to get this replaced if you have the proper paperwork?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
But then again I'm not sure about the decal but they can tell ya.

B59

I have a 1974 without a glove box door, am I screwed?

I have a 69 with the glove box door, and could swap over my nice 74 body and make a decent rig out of the two, but didn't want to go to all that hassle, but I just found out that I needed that glove box door to even register my rig in Ca allegedly, and would get it impounded? If I tried without it!!! I was told, but the CHP said differently, they said I had to register to bring it in=2month wait time, then flatbed the sucker in and get it verified-if right-then get paperwork on the 74 then I can do whatever I want, but still have no glove box! I guess it really is just a parts truck now-legal or not! Man this sucks, wish I had known this when purchasing it! So what does a nice paperless parts truck go for versus a papered one?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Title needs to match the vin on the frame.........the warranty badge with the vin and other info in the glove box is just info. Go to Marti . com and get a replacement warranty badge for your glove box, they even sell the correct rivets.

fasteddy

I have the early 1966 Bronco with the VIN number attached to the kick panel on the drivers side. I have decoded the Top number which begins with U15...…..
Underneath this number is a 092 BU150 798 C03
Where can I get a decoding of this bottom number?
Thank you.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I have the early 1966 Bronco with the VIN number attached to the kick panel on the drivers side. I have decoded the Top number which begins with U15...…..
Underneath this number is a 092 BU150 798 C03
Where can I get a decoding of this bottom number?
Thank you.

Most of it can be found on broncohio.com, the rest of it I've just noted over the years.

092 is the wheelbase in inches
B is the color code for Caribbean Turquoise
U150 is 4300lb gvw
798, 7 is for front bucket seats and a rear seat, 98 is for a wagon roof
C is manual transmission
03 is 4.11 gears
75 is Phoenix sales area

merle

i have a 66 half cab with vin #on driver side kick plate and a small aluminium vin tag laying inside of glove box ?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
i have a 66 half cab with vin #on driver side kick plate and a small aluminium vin tag laying inside of glove box ?

The small aluminum tag laying in the glove box is from the owner's card.

1966 U13 278.jpg

B_RideBronco

Loc.
Denver
Reviving an older post here, but being this is in the FAQ section, it seems to be the most reliable place to ask, versus the plethora of other threads on the topic.

I am looking at buying a restomod '67 Bronco and need to determine which locations the VIN would have been found from the factory, both on the body and frame. It's already been through a VIN inspection to be sure the VIN and title are clear, but at this time, all I have are the glovebox tag and matching title. Being a frame up restoration, the frame itself has been "molded and lined" according to the seller, which removed all the VINs there.

For a 1967, if I was to try and reproduce the factory stamping and tag locations, what all would I need? From the original post above, it seems #1, #3, and #4 would all be present for this model year. Would a 67 model also have the laminated door striker tag? Does anyone have a picture of the kick panel tag - Ive never seen this one before, is it reproduced by anyone? Would the frame be stamped anywhere other than the passenger side frame rail below the firewall? Any help is greatly appreciated.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Others can comment on reproducing the factory stamping - I don't think that's a good idea. A '67 would have #3 and #4. Door post tags didn't come until 1970. Marti reproduces the kick panel tags. The frame will also be stamped on the pass side further back - essentially under the passenger's seat.

Todd Z.

Broncoblood

Contributor
Location #1 thru #4 are correct
just clarifying for general purpose;
Location #2 is in conjunction with #1 for the 68-77's. These models will have them in both locations instead of one or the other.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Blue painted tape is the location on top of passenger side frame.

Attachments

• bronco vin 5.jpg
    bronco vin 5.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 16
  • bronco vin 3.jpg
    bronco vin 3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 12
  • bronco vin 2.jpg
    bronco vin 2.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 12
  • bronco vin 1.jpg
    bronco vin 1.jpg