• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ways to Por15 inside the Frame

vinson

Loc.
south bend
How did you Por 15 the inside of you frame? With out making a big mess and wasting a lot of por 15.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Carefully! ;D You could thin it down and use a sprayer with an extension.

I saw a product in the latest Eastwood catalog that may be better/easier to use. It is made for framerails. It's a converter, encapsulator, preventer.

Here it is: http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

Just another option and the application technique can be used with the POR.

Used this on my frame and it covered very well. I used a few cans to make sure I got a good coating.

Henry

OP
OP
vinson

vinson

Loc.
south bend
Hank How many cans did it take, I'm thinking 3. How long ago did you use it and is the inside looking rust free. Thanks guys

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I just put it in this summer as its a pretty new product. My bronco is still under construction so it really has not had to do much just sit. Sorry I cant give a more comprehensive review at this time. I will just have to wait and see how it does. I used at 3 cans coating my frame.

Henry

buckintone

Loc.
Carlsbad
put a rope through your frame rail, tie rags or sponge to the end, dip in the poor 15, pull through the frame rail, repeat:)

VT_Don

The obstacle is not how to coat the inside of the frame, but how to clean it well enough for anything to adhere. Here in the Northeast, the only Bronco frames that survived in great shape were oil undercoated annually. Now, when doing a frame-off restoration, the frames are a filthy mess. I spent the better part of 6 months cleaning my frame before media blasting and painting the outside surfaces. The best that can be achieved internally, is to use a stiff tube/chimney brush to dislodge 40 years of crud. Before putting the rig back on the road, will likely spray the inside of the frame with Fluid Film to preserve it for the next 40 years.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I did some minor undercoating for a dealership back in the early 80's. We had an extension that went on the gun tipped with a 360 degree nozzle. You stuck it in one end and pulled it out slowly to get half then repeated on the other end to finish up for anything that was boxed in like the EB frames.

OP
OP
vinson

vinson

Loc.
south bend
Thanks Guys for all the in put. And the cleaning of the inside is to remove as much of the crud is the hard part. Now with that done I went with the Eastwood internal frame spray. Worked great you can get in the cross members looks to cover good and only time will tell, how good it really is. Thanks Again

bax

Contributor
Old Member
pull a POR soaked rabbit thru the tube

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
dipped, stripped and ecoated, that is what i did. the ecoat is a dip process so everything gets coated. i used a flashlight to look at the inside of the frame rails after the ecoat and it looks really good. what sent me down that road was finding stuff falling out of the frame (like mud and sand) when i was tearing everything down. seems like the most work will be getting the inside of the frame rails clean if you dont have access to someone who can dip and strip