• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Paint color info (Bahama Blue vs Medium Blue) are they the same colors?

G8tor38

Heres my problem, the shop painting my 72 Bronco called and said that the paint code I told them didn't match the color I told them, My Bronco is a 72 with a paint code 6, in the Bronco decoders it translates into a medium Blue.
They went to the paint shop and they looked it up and could only find
Bahama Blue under the code 6 which was found in a 73 year truck. After I persisted on the 72 was Medium Blue I was told (on the phone) "Ah here it is" and that the Medium 72 Blue and the 73 Bahama Blue has the same formula and that they were just called different things in the years.
Heres the main problem, my truck is partially painted but I don't think it is as dark a blue as it was before we started the restoration. I have no reason to doubt my paint shop, but I do have a very good eye for color but I can't find any facts to base my "Stop Painting" speech on.

Anyone have any facts to either confirm both colors are the same, or that the 72 Medium is "Different" then the 73 Bahama Blue with a paint sheet or fact sheet to back it up so we can compare formulas.

Or does someone have the 72 Medium Blue color formula we can compare to what we have.

thanks

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
In paint shops we don't go by color name. We go by the year and code. The color names generally mean nothing since the paint companies might call it one thing, the car manufacturer might call it something else. Trust what the body shop is saying. Ask them to make a sprayout of the color so you can see it for yourself. If it has blue in the name and the year match up your good to go.

Having a formula isn't going to tell you much either since the different paint manufacturers have different colors to each tint. For examlpe PPG and Dupont both might have an Ochre tint but they are going to be a different color.

I just looked at the Sherwin web site and came accross this for paint code 6...
Ford 6 4695 Exterior Dk Brown 72 - 84
Ford 6 2580,55817 Exterior Hulla Blue Met 67 - 71
Ford 6 2285,71463,8627 Exterior Pebble Beige 67 - 68
Ford Trk 6 55151 Exterior Acapulco Blue Met 70 - 70
Ford Trk 6 3478,71145 Exterior Autumn Tan 77 - 77
Ford Trk 6 11211,3091,3601,
51130,51130 Exterior Bahama Blue 71 - 73
Ford Trk 6 3698,71210,7589 Exterior Dk Brown 72 - 84
Ford Trk 6 2285,8627 Exterior Pebble Beige 67 - 68
Ford Trk 6 3072,31112 Exterior Viking Red 71 - 91

OP
OP
G8tor38

G8tor38

Thanks Tiny, thats what we have found too but the Bronco decoder sets it as a Med Blue or something on this line not Bahama, but the colors are similar.

thanks for the info,

Steve

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I'm curious what decoder you used. I'd like to see it. Thanks.

I don't want to add to your confusion but looking at the Ditzler (PPG) charts for Ford trucks, "6" was Bahama Blue for 1971 through 1973. After that Bahama Blue becomes "I". Medium Blue Poly is "N" for 1976 and in 1977 "I" is Bright Medium Blue. Those two are the only Medium Blues I see in truck colors.

You mention it is partially painted, does that mean it still needs more coats? If so you might be okay as I would expect the blue to be deeper or darker after the final coat.

If I've just made things more muddy I apologize - just trying to help.

OP
OP
G8tor38

G8tor38

Thanks for all of the help guys, I feel better about the colors, and no you didnt make thing more difficult sea biscuit. Send me an email and I;ll try to find the decoder and send you, g8tor38@aol.com Thanks again Steve
Oh! and I got my disc set up in tonight, and picking up the ceramic parts this week for the motor rebuild that should be dropped in by next weekend. Should be up and running by summer.