• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9 inch ring and pinion set up

dblank

Loc.
Dallas
Hey guys i hate to ask but i've searched and searched but cant find anything on how to set up my 9inch gears. I shelled the spiders so i figure i'll just up grade gears while i'm at it. Any help would be great. If you live in DFW and wanna help that would be even better.LOL
Thanks Darrell

70_Steve

Old Guy

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might be a good idea to get you a ford shop manual it has all the info you need. On a good note the 9in is probably one of the easiest to setup. On the other hand the D44 is a little more involved have you considered that you will have to change the front gearing also.

OP
OP
D

dblank

Loc.
Dallas
Thanks guys. Yeah i know i'll have to do the 44 too. Since i shelled it the same day as the 9 inch i'll be repairing that too. with directions i know I can do the 9 but i'll be taking in the 44 probably.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Thanks guys. Yeah i know i'll have to do the 44 too. Since i shelled it the same day as the 9 inch i'll be repairing that too. with directions i know I can do the 9 but i'll be taking in the 44 probably.
Once you've done the 9", the Dana 44 will seem a lot less intimidating. It's basically the same process to set up the gears (adjust pinion depth, set backlash, check pattern...). It's just that the Dana 44 is an extreme PIA to do what can be done on the 9" in seconds (well, maybe minutes..). Same tools (torque wrench and dial indicator), just a little different process. Oh, and the setup bearings are a must. I made my own out of the old bearings. Here's a link to the Dana setup I used when I set up my Dana 44. Yes, it's a Dana 60, but the setup is identical.

http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

I had only ever set up gears once, and that was 40 years ago on an 8". I had originally planned on letting a shop set up the gears. But when I got quotes of $900 and $1100 to do the setup, I decided that it might be worth my time to attempt the setup myself. I really was amazed at how easy the 9" was to set up. And the experience I got with the 9" carried over to the Dana44 in knowing what to change to get the gear contact pattern correct.

Tip: It's worth the time to get the Dana 44 out from under the Bronco, and do the setup on jackstands!!!

OP
OP
D

dblank

Loc.
Dallas
Thanks lots. After reading i'm guessing i'll have to have a shop do my bearing for me? or is there an easy way to press the old off and install new. I know i can heat the new bearing to install right.?.?

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
If you have a press, it's a breeze to get the bearings on and off. You might want to invest in a set of bearing removal tools(splitters?).

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While you can heat the bearings to get them on I would be very careful too much heat and you'll weaken the bearings. Its much better to have them pressed on/off or as was said use setup bearings so the new bearings only need to be pressed on once. hopefully. Screw something up and you'll be doing it all again.

OP
OP
D

dblank

Loc.
Dallas
I got the stuff at work so when i get to that point i'll probaly just drive over there and do it. they wont mind i hope. lol

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Use the old bearings for setup bearings if possible. Setup bearings are bearing that have had the ID of the race opened up so you can slide them on and off when setting gear lash.

Take your time and make sure to torque down the main cap bolts to listed specs when running your pattern...

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
Search on Google!!!

This is the article I referred to most when I set up my 9". It's actually pretty easy, if you've got the right tools. You just need an inch/lb torque wrench, and a dial indicator with a magnetic base. And you also need some way of installing the new bearings.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/065/article/Ford_9_Inch_RebuildGear_Setup.html

Good write up,but did you guys notice in set 31 he forgets to mention one important item ?...........Gear Lube !!

OP
OP
D

dblank

Loc.
Dallas
Ok read most of the links and one more question for now. When setting the pinion depth if its not right right off do i have to purchase a new crush sleve every time i adjust the pinion shims?

70_Steve

Old Guy
Ok read most of the links and one more question for now. When setting the pinion depth if its not right right off do i have to purchase a new crush sleve every time i adjust the pinion shims?
I'm guessing your question is about the 9".

The crush sleeve is for setting pinion bearing preload. One of the first things done is to set up the pinion gear in the pinion assy. with the proper preload. The pinion depth is set by changing shims that go between the pinion assy and the case.

BTW, I would suggest using a solid spacer and shims to set pinion bearing preload, instead of the crush sleeve. Only takes a couple minutes longer to set up, and it's good for life, and for extreme service.

OP
OP
D

dblank

Loc.
Dallas
Perfect. Thanks guys. Now all i have to do is order parts. Ya'll been a tremendous help.

OP
OP
D

dblank

Loc.
Dallas
Ok quick quality question. I know you get what you pay for but i've got to ask. Graveyard has The USA Standard ring and pinion for 120.00 and the motive gear for 172.00. The cheaper would help the budget but i dont wanna slack on quailty to much. Whats ya'll think.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The more expensive gear sets are usually quieter - I usually go middle of the road myself, but I've got nothing against Yukon gearsets... Yukon really doesn't make much of anything, they are just a reboxing operation...

OX1

Bronco Guru
Good write up,but did you guys notice in set 31 he forgets to mention one important item ?...........Gear Lube !!

HAHA!!, back in the day (like pre-digital cameras) when I wrote that, gear lube hadn't been invented yet. :p

OP
OP
D

dblank

Loc.
Dallas
One more thing I'm wanting to run 4.88 i currentley have 4.10 am i gonna have to clearance my case? OR should i be ok?