• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paxton Supercharger

barronj

Bronco Guru
bet all you'd have to do is relocate the battery.

That's what I see. Worst case scenario, you just move it (the battery) to the driver's side. If you're not running any accessories (PS, York compressor, A/C) you can mount the head unit on the DS potentially.

The only other degree of interference would be how close the blower belt is to any fan on the radiator.

Prochargers, while weak in early design (internal belt failure was common, but at least they had self contained oiling systems) do have the advantage of running off the main serpentine belt, and that would be critical for the limited area in a bronco.

Lastly, if you were to use the paxton (or a vortech), you could trim the radiator opening in the core support to allow for a larger electric fan to work as a pusher fan.

Last edited:

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
I think a relocated battery and a hood scoop would fit it in there. Not sure about the cooling fan though. Look at how the serpentine belt is in FRONT of the existing v-belts. That's going to push your fan out another 1.5-2" at least. I think you'd have to go electric and even then might have clearance issues.

Anything will fit if you throw enough money and ingenuity at it. :)

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
I definitely see a clearance issue with the radiator.

In the Mustang it looks like there is a lot more space between the radiator and the belts and when you add in the thick belt for the blower I just don't see how it would all fit. Unless you moved the radiator forward.

barronj

Bronco Guru
I've just put in the serpentine belt system off a mustang, and a mechanical fan. There weren't any electric fans that would fit btw the mustang waterpump snout/pulley & the stock radiator position. I went with an aftermarket flex fan & a 1" spacer. It's all very (emphasis on very, can provide pics) tight in there.

If you were to add an 8-rib supercharger belt, the added length off the front of the motor would virtually eliminate any possibility of a fan between the belts & the radiator. You would have to mount a pusher fan on the front side of your radiator, & notch out the core support (cut crescents out of each side)

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It looks like carb tuning would be a challange....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why only through 68 then the jump to 85??

If I remember my mustang stuff right there was a change in pulley alignment or something like that in '69. I am sure you could make the Paxton work, it just wouldn't be the bolt on kit. Starting again in '85, I don't know why. There isn't much difference (besides the roller cam) between the '84 and the '85.

Keep in mind that these kits are all for Mustangs. Expect to have unique issues when using them on a Bronco. I would expect to need to notch the inner fender amung other things.

While Paxton has been around wince the 50's (they were factory superchargers for the T-birds and Studebakers), there are other companies making centrifical superchargers. Last I knew Procharger has a universal carb kit (I am fairly sure you could get a 5.0 block mount and a cab hat and just need to make the ductwork to put the two together).

The centrifical superchargers are a bit of an oddity. They don't have the instant low end boost of a positive displacment (roots or screw) blower. But they don't switch on like a turbo either. The do love RPMs. Turn them faster and they move more air.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
As I recall there was an aftermarket supercharger kit for the 5.0 explorer also.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
As I recall there was an aftermarket supercharger kit for the 5.0 explorer also.

>>>> yeah there was ......here are some 6psi kits with powerdyne centrifugal superchargers ........ the 2004 Ford racing catalog list 3 different kits for the explorers, but I imagine the front bolt on sections were all the same between the kits ....... part # M-6066-E50 for 1996-97 5.0L explorers , part# M-6066-E51 for 1998 5.0L explorers , part# M-6066-E52 for 1999-2001 5.0L explorers..............

Broncobowsher

Total hack

Explorer Express had a roots/screw blower kit for the 5.0 Explorers. Don't see it listed anymore. It just replaced the upper intake. Will not clear a distributer, must run DIS and coil packs.