Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 03/28/09, 01:18 AM   #1
bluebronco69
Bronco Guru

Damascas, OR
oversized main tank options

so i know i can get one at BC, toms etc. but they are almost 400$ no way we can spend that much. took out the plastic aux tank this weekend for a cleaning and found a large crack in it. so i would like to get rid of it and replace the main tank with a larger capacity one. is there something from another vehicle that will fit and give me in the 20 gallon range? or an i stuck looking for a used over sized tank? how about making one???

any other ideas?

Kyle 69, 33 BFG MT, D44 swap 411s with trac lock in rear, custom bumpers, holley TA470, pro comp lights
73 (Wifes) mustang 5.0, C4, J shift, power disc brakes, 33s, 1 in body lift, pink dash!, work in progress
Old 03/28/09, 02:08 AM   #2
TN1776
Bronco Guru

Livermore, CA
Call up Aero Tanks in Corona CA. Their prices are better than the major vendors although the tanks are not as nice looking. I like mine, a lot. I really like the following features:
1. Rolled corners - meaning no welds on the corners.
2. Integrated skid plate welded over the tank.
3. They can set the mounts to any amount of body lift you may be running or sell you the tank with the mounts loose.

Mine bolted right in and holds 23 gallons of fuel. The fit is good and I doubt I'll ever hurt that tank.

Old 03/28/09, 06:10 AM   #3
Ethansdad73
Bronco Guru

someone play a country song backward so i can get everything i have lost back...

Melbourne, FL
Most of the bronco venders carry aftermarket tanks, but you are going to pay a bit for them, i bit the bullet and got a 23main and 12 resurve and will do it again. worth every penny... I go wheeling on the 12 and get lost and find my way out and home on the 24.
Old 03/28/09, 06:55 AM   #4
73ny
Contributor
Bronco Guru

New York

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN1776 View Post
Call up Aero Tanks in Corona CA. Their prices are better than the major vendors although the tanks are not as nice looking. I like mine, a lot. I really like the following features:
1. Rolled corners - meaning no welds on the corners.
2. Integrated skid plate welded over the tank.
3. They can set the mounts to any amount of body lift you may be running or sell you the tank with the mounts loose.

Mine bolted right in and holds 23 gallons of fuel. The fit is good and I doubt I'll ever hurt that tank.
How much?

73 Ranger, C4, 44/tru trac, BB 9"/31 spl yukons/tru-trac, 3.5" Duff lift, Tom's 4 wh pwr discs, 2.7 turn p/s, BFG A/T 33x12.50 on slots, Protofab family cage
Old 03/28/09, 07:27 AM   #5
Ethansdad73
Bronco Guru

someone play a country song backward so i can get everything i have lost back...

Melbourne, FL
up early thought i would help

BR-21 $312.00 (Tank and all parts included.) $183.00

70-77
Ford Bronco
23 Gallon
Replacement
Tank (rear)
This replaces rear tank & mounts to frame. New Sender and hardware included BR-21(UPS)

http://www.aerotanks.com/veh/ford.htm
Old 03/28/09, 08:16 AM   #6
mp
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Austin, TX
eBay: mperritte
Between the $312 for the Aero and the $400 for the BC, I would gladly pay the extra $80 for the BC, even if it meant Ramen and water for a couple weeks.

BC tank mounting system is far superior to the Aero system, and it is already set up for EFI. So sturdy, a skid plate is probably only needed for extreme rock crawling.

I run a BC that I bought a while ago, and I have an Aero type tank on another truck, so I have seen both.

BC all the way.

RLTW!!!
Old 03/28/09, 09:08 AM   #7
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebronco69 View Post
so i know i can get one at BC, toms etc. but they are almost 400$ no way we can spend that much. took out the plastic aux tank this weekend for a cleaning and found a large crack in it. so i would like to get rid of it and replace the main tank with a larger capacity one. is there something from another vehicle that will fit and give me in the 20 gallon range? or an i stuck looking for a used over sized tank? how about making one???

any other ideas?
I have never found one. I have scrounged all kinds of sources too. The trouble is the Bronco frame is a little narrower then most anything else out there. And the space between the axle and the bumper is a little limiting as well. So the envelope you have to work with is very confining. There really isn't anyplace else to stick a gas tank (in the 20 gallon range) either.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
Full throttle, it either solves the problem or ends the suspense.
Old 03/28/09, 10:02 AM   #8
blubuckaroo
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Ridgefield WA

My Gallery
I have a set of Aero tanks I put in almost 30 years ago. I didn't buy the skid plate option and have still picked up the back of the car with a floor jack inder the rear tank. They are real well made! To me the main difference in all the aftermarket tanks is the mounting method. Some use straps like the factory tanks. The ones with welded on mounting brackets are much more secure and don't mash the tank against the rear bed.

'77, 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 32" tires. 302, 4 bbl, headers. NV3550, 4.11s, Yukon rear posi.
Old 03/28/09, 10:15 AM   #9
wdbowers

Ada, Ok
eBay: broncowes
its been a while, but we used to look for vw tanks to put in circle dirt race cars that probably fit. I don't remember how big they are an i had forgot about them till this thread.
Old 03/28/09, 10:31 AM   #10
wdbowers

Ada, Ok
eBay: broncowes
checked a few online and recalled that I used the tank out of the 67 mustang that I built they show to be 16 gal. but no diminsions on width and they fill from center rear.
Old 03/28/09, 10:40 AM   #11
TN1776
Bronco Guru

Livermore, CA
I guess I don't understand why people don't like Aero's mounting system... It bolts directly to the frame. To me that is an extremely secure way to go. The way the mounts were set on mine, the tank still clears the floor of my EB by a good enough margin (1/2 inch or so) and I would have no problem putting the floor jack under it to lift the vehicle. The skid plate to me was just extra protection because I do plan to do some rock crawling. My local club organized a group buy with Aero which brought the price down from what was listed above in this thread which is another big reason I went that way.

No complaints on my Aero tank!

Old 03/28/09, 11:29 AM   #12
Pa PITT
Contributor
Bronco Guru

NP435 BED LINER TOP. BED. BUMPERS. ROCKERS. 4bt P/S. FLOTHRU TAILGATE. 16'' TIR

Stephenville..TX.

My Gallery
Garage
Wow $183.00 is sure better than some of the other prices ..Wonder what it cost to ship on to Texas. What Is that tank make out of ..
.......edit did I miss read the sight I thought it said tank was 183.00

Last edited by Pa PITT; 03/29/09 at 08:00 PM..
Old 03/28/09, 11:31 AM   #13
bluebronco69
Bronco Guru

Damascas, OR
so how much is the BR-21 300$ or 180$? i can do the 180 not the 300 though. im looking for an option that is not too spendy, but still good quality and atleast 20 gallons

nevermind the tank is 312 labor for install is 180

Kyle 69, 33 BFG MT, D44 swap 411s with trac lock in rear, custom bumpers, holley TA470, pro comp lights
73 (Wifes) mustang 5.0, C4, J shift, power disc brakes, 33s, 1 in body lift, pink dash!, work in progress
Old 03/29/09, 12:51 AM   #14
bluebronco69
Bronco Guru

Damascas, OR
well those are still too spendy for me ill keep lookin

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives