• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco as daily driver

OP
OP
R

rudy16

Well right now my daily is a 78 f150 with a 300. Its not quiet and not new but its a nice old pickup with no creature comforts. So. Comfort doesn't bother the mustang sits in the garage until the wknd it would just be nice to cruise with the top off might and just show it off not too many broncos around just have to live with 10- 12 mpg.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I don't either but when your toy turns into your daily transportation the cost of filling up that vehicle gets pretty interesting.

Lets say you drive the typical 12,000 miles per year and gas holds steady $3.00 a gallon. Here's your yearly cost for gas if your vehicle gets...

10mpg: $3,600
15mpg: $2,400
20mpg: $1,800
25mpg: $1,440
30mpg: $1,200

Driving that little ford focus and getting 30mpgs will put $2,400 extra in your pocket each year compared to the 10mpg Bronco. Thats not nearly as fun but it is pretty interesting...

This is good accurate information; however, how much did you pay for the focus? Lets assume it was 10k and your payment is 200 per month, then it is a wash for 5 years, 4 if you paid cash. Other than the accomodations, is it enjoyable driving the Focus? I prefer to drive the Bronco, unless it's raining since I don't have a top ;)

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Well said Mac2Night! You have some major wheel time in your EBs. I like the fact you drop the kids off at school in the EB. No doubt its the coolest rig in the school lot, lets ask how many 4cyl gas sippers can say that. I've been driving my rig for the past two weeks straight (20miles+/- everyday plus errands) talk about character, pride of ownership and the chicks dig it. Screw the lack of OD and crap gas mileage, every gearhead understands this about the car hobby.

Bronco Biff

I use to daily drive mine 45 miles each way city/country, 289 4V, headers, ported heads, 3 spd, 3.50's, 33's, 15mpg average. Lots of foot. Top off a lot, radio jammin'. LOVED IT!!
Now 5 miles to work...........I kinda miss the ride sometimes...........

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I could be making car payments on something more fuel efficient, or I could pay the higher fuel cost of an EBDD. Guess which one I prefer? ;)

markperry

Bronco Guru
I drive mine 65 miles round trip a day with 4.56 gears and 33's, the best I can do is 12.45 with a 351W and a 600 edelbrock carb.....I have no car payments so I kind of chalk it up as at least I'm not making a car payment:-*

rdanford

Sold my Land Crusier with all the creature comforts....Daily driving my 77' Bronco now which gets 2mpg less but I'm dumping all the money from the sale into the Bronco (frame-off scheduled for next May!). So glad to have the Bronco back on the road....my daily trip is 20+ miles.

Russ

Loc.
Florence Al
This cut my gas bill down to $12 per month.
40340_1365513910081_1598652870_30873735_7514774_n.jpg

NYLES

Bronco Guru
heus33 The extra$2400 is a realistic number. I used to drive my 04 superduty back and forth to work. It got 16 mpg on a good day and I was paying for diesel so when I bought the focus I still saved $200 a month even with the new car payment!

But dont get me wrong I love my bronco and I love to drive it and if I lived a little closer to work I would drive it more!

thmpity thumpity thump thump was 3.50 gears and 33's bad combo works motor now 33 and 4.30 gears great combo but only at about 55 mph its really gets about 8

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I started to say put a 4BT into it but I'm not sure what my mileage is yet.. But it sure better than my 302 was.. I got about 4 to maybe 7 on the gas unit.. My diesel is better but I don't want to say yet 1ST tank was only about 10 but I'm only in the pasture . I may put 400 mile a year on mine but at least it runs cool.

Tasty Geezer

I've been driving an EB as a daily driver for over 25 years (drove my '73 today) in every configuration you can image (6" lift with 40 ground hawgs, stock, 3.5" lift with 33s, etc.) and have put up with a lot of noise, heat and thin wallet syndrome, BUT, it has always been fun for me. NEVER GOT 20mpg in any of them, but got close in my '71 with the 6 cyl, but not 20mpg.

As I near the big 50 in the next few years, however, I have contemplated getting a beater gas saver and only driving the Broncos on the weekends..... hard to make the switch at this point though as my kids love being taken to school in a Bronco. It it is a life style choice I guess (gee, never thought I would say that)!

Right on Mac...I'm at year 7 for an EB as my DD...there isn't a price you can put on it...I have had commutes from 10 miles to 30 miles...the way I look at it...The longer the commute, the longer I'm enjoying driving my bronco (even in the rain). My top is off, no carpet, no A/C, just enjoying the ride...Plus I love the look from all the moms in their minivans as I pull up to drop off my 3 year old and 3 month old at school...priceless!