• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The ’76 Bronco goes pro in western New Mexico today

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Just back from an interesting field trip today. These aren’t especially interesting pictures, but I thought only you guys would appreciate the story behind them.

Basically the ’76 was pressed into professional duty the last two days and performed remarkably under severe duty in rugged mountainous terrain. A professional college and I had to pre-run a field trip to the Mount Taylor volcano and the ’76 was the only field vehicle on hand. Now professional usage is not the same as the daily fun driving that we all know about. This is where the vehicle gets used and is given no special treatment. We crawled in and out of deep canyons, and ascended to 11,000 feet in rain, mud and snow.

The transmission cooling fan worked fine, the Autolite 4100 never so much as hiccupped. Despite inclines, altitude, and severe bouncing. And the bottom line is, the Bronco performed without a whimper. It started and stopped repeatedly with no loading up, flooding, or even skipping a beat the whole time. Of course we were too busy for me to get pictures in the really interesting spots (like crawling on a precipice at 11,000 feet!), but I figured you guys would be proud.

Early Broncos still rule! Aren’t about to retire. And are still able to keep up with modern equipment. That is all!

Attachments

• SanMateoCanyon1.jpg
    SanMateoCanyon1.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 226
  • San MateoCanyon2.jpg
    San MateoCanyon2.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 189
  • AmericanCanyonMudflows.jpg
    AmericanCanyonMudflows.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Ash_on Cretaceous.jpg
    Ash_on Cretaceous.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 187
  • SpudPatch Canyon.jpg
    SpudPatch Canyon.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 187

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Great story and thanks for sharing your adventures. I always look forward to your posts.:cool::cool:

Fred

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Awesome story and Great pics!!! Glad she did well for ya! U knew it would :)

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Just back from an interesting field trip today. These aren’t especially interesting pictures, but I thought only you guys would appreciate the story behind them.

Basically the ’76 was pressed into professional duty the last two days and performed remarkably under severe duty in rugged mountainous terrain. A professional college and I had to pre-run a field trip to the Mount Taylor volcano and the ’76 was the only field vehicle on hand. Now professional usage is not the same as the daily fun driving that we all know about. This is where the vehicle gets used and is given no special treatment. We crawled in and out of deep canyons, and ascended to 11,000 feet in rain, mud and snow.

The transmission cooling fan worked fine, the Autolite 4100 never so much as hiccupped. Despite inclines, altitude, and severe bouncing. And the bottom line is, the Bronco performed without a whimper. It started and stopped repeatedly with no loading up, flooding, or even skipping a beat the whole time. Of course we were too busy for me to get pictures in the really interesting spots (like crawling on a precipice at 11,000 feet!), but I figured you guys would be proud.

Early Broncos still rule! Aren’t about to retire. And are still able to keep up with modern equipment. That is all!

Verry good story and LONG LIVE OLE MODEL BRONCOS!!:cool:

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Did a postmortem for trail rash today, like I always do after a good run. Only a few touch ups needed on the black stuff, no nicks on the blue to speak of, and everything is till tight. You have to realize there was some serious gravel, grape fruit sized rocks, and bouncing over serious rocks at high altitude in precarious situations. Then 75mph for 100 miles back. It cleaned up and is show ready.

This is the “happiest” Bronco I have ever come across. Every Bronco I have had has some sort of “complaint” about something. Balancing, leaking, flooding. It just does not complain about anything. And –no one will believe this- it does not leak. I mean NO leaks. And it has a C4. Several trips on the interstate, hot, high speed. Not a drop on the garage floor. The bottom of the oil pan is bone dry. It’s not natural.

For those following the EM2 thread, this is an EM2 Bronco. Enough said.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Rabbit season-Duck season?It's leak season around hear and not just my Bronco:(I got up this morning and it's comin a down pour and the carport has a new pudle on it and it wasn't the Bronco's.--Roof--! Oh well time to find tar baby.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
This is the “happiest” Bronco I have ever come across.

For those following the EM2 thread, this is an EM2 Bronco. Enough said.

Hi Mars,

I too am working toward that "Happy Bronco";D. I'm inspired by your blue 76. Is there a build thread for this Bronco? How is it equipped, suspension, tire/wheel size, gear ratios, engine modes and so forth? I'm building my 76 to be a daily driver and light trail bashing rig similar to yours. Also hoping to get a set of your "Mars Bars" if they become available.

Regards

Fred

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Gnsteam,
That’s a good question. What makes a fully functional and dependable Bronco? I have no build thread. But I have to say that after years of fiddling with aftermarket equipment I am coming around to the simplicity and durability of mostly stock equipment.

This Bronco has
-about 87K miles and the original 302
-long tube headers, two into one 3 inch tube (15 inch Flowmaster) into two 2.5 inch exhaust
-even has the air pump and a catalytic convertor
-cast iron C5AE-9425-M_4V Ford intake
-Pony Carbs Autolite 4100 480cfm on a 1 inch phenolic spacer
-14 x 3 drop base air cleaner and WIX filter
- new stock type parchment interior
-3-point belts, six-point cage
-new paint
-rebuilt column with WH steering wheel
-Pioneer radio with 100W amp.
-suspension is 2.5 inch 11 leaf and front double shocked Procomps with single shock rear. -No body lift and front and rear flares with no rubbing.
-I have spent some time cleaning up wiring, adding a fresh PS pump, and new stock type radiator.
-We built the Mars Bars because the wife was having trouble climbing up into it
-added some WH roll bar handles to help entry.
-C4 with Derale trans cooler in line with a rail type convection cooler, radiator trans cooler deleted
- 3.51 axles and 33x12.50 (BFG All Terrain) tires. The crawl speed for general purpose work with a 3.51 is actually comfortable for what I need it to do. Besides, I have to do high speed highway drives to most of the good places and the combination of 3.51s and 33s keeps the revs down, but it seems stay within the power band.
-stock J-shifter and stock Ford hubs work well compared to the T-shifts and previous hubs I have been use to.
- it runs at 75 on the highway without vibration possibly because of the aluminum AR Venturas. I've eliminated highway vibrations on several vehicle by going to aluminum wheels
-Then there is that bit about no leaks. It all sounds too good to be true, but I am convinced its just because the running gear is so stock and understressed. Even the Autolite 4100 is just a four barrel version of the Autolite 2100, which is known to be off road friendly. That’s pretty much it. Mostly stock with a few bolt-ons. Just clean and simple with stuff that is proven and works.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Thanks Mars for the details. I just picked up my 76 this July. It's bone stock except for rear cut out flares and 33x9.5 Wild Country's. It's got only 75K on the speedo and everything works! Even has the emission air pump as well, however the exhaust has been reworked into 2.25 duels and magna flows. It runs strong and drives great. Mine came equipped with 4:11s, so the rev's get pretty high running up to 75. But for running around town the extra torque from gears makes for quick get up and go!

I to plan to keep things simple and mostly stock as well. Being it's going to be my daily driver, once my extra vehicle gets sold. Future up grade plans include a 2.5" lift, double shocks, new aluminum wheels and new flares front and rear.
And a set of nerf or Mars bars for the same reason as yours. Probable need the bars before the added lift. For pic's of my 76, check out my gallery.

Thanks again for the reply!

Fred

P.S. The wife and I would like to attend the Balloon Festival some year. So maybe I'll be able to drive the Bronco down and meet you, GraficO and others in the area. And maybe you could give us a tour of Mount Taylor and Sunset Ridge. Looks like a great place to explore.