Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 04/24/12, 08:35 AM   #16
ugly74
Bronco abuser

Just your basic rock'n'roll redneck

My Gallery
Garage
before I need 4wd, I throw it in neutral and coast to a stop. lock the hubs, and then rolling at a slow speed, lightly blip the throttle as I pull the T case into 4HI (if it doesn't just slip in). put it in 4low when you are at a complete stop, or rollin reeeal slow. just reverse all that to get it back to 2wd. The general idea being to keep any tension off of the driveline while you're engaging/disengaging gears.
with an automatic like ours, I'll use 4 low whenever I'm just creepy crawlin around, or feel like getting the front wheels off the ground.
even if you have the power in 4hi, it'll build less heat in the trans if you use low.
If you have the original J shift, toss that POS and either twin stick it, or get an "updated version" from J.Duff. I got the Duff version and it's much much better than the old one.
Have fun!
ugly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/12, 10:09 PM   #17
lowbush
Contributor
Bronco Guru

St. Cloud, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly74 View Post
before I need 4wd, I throw it in neutral and coast to a stop. lock the hubs, and then rolling at a slow speed, lightly blip the throttle as I pull the T case into 4HI (if it doesn't just slip in). put it in 4low when you are at a complete stop, or rollin reeeal slow. just reverse all that to get it back to 2wd. The general idea being to keep any tension off of the driveline while you're engaging/disengaging gears.
with an automatic like ours, I'll use 4 low whenever I'm just creepy crawlin around, or feel like getting the front wheels off the ground.
even if you have the power in 4hi, it'll build less heat in the trans if you use low.
If you have the original J shift, toss that POS and either twin stick it, or get an "updated version" from J.Duff. I got the Duff version and it's much much better than the old one.
Have fun!
What is the difference in the Duff version? Do they just swap the front off a J onto the T and twin stick it? or do they do other mods?
lowbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/12, 11:24 PM   #18
Larry B

Medford

My Gallery
You have a lot of info but I'll add mine. I lock my hubs in at home if I think I may need 4 wheel that day. Usuallu middle of OCT during deer season and take them out at the end of nov, that being last of Elk season. When there is solid ice or snow on black top I run in 4H. Steering and brakes work much better. Don't run in 4 wheel dr on dry pavement or dry dirt if possable.
Larry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/12, 08:05 AM   #19
ugly74
Bronco abuser

Just your basic rock'n'roll redneck

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kls View Post
What is the difference in the Duff version? Do they just swap the front off a J onto the T and twin stick it? or do they do other mods?
it's still a single stick, but instead of the ball in socket arrangement, it's got through bolts so it pivots on 2 axis', and is spring loaded. shifts in the same way, but a lot more positive feeling. as far as I've been able to tell, I'm pretty much the only one here to use it. everybody else uses twin sticks.
I just tried to find it on Duffs' site, and couldn't find it!
ugly74 is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech