C6 203 205 Doubler
4 Link
Clutch Replacement
Early Turn Signals
C4 Improvements
Threaded Dipstick
NV3550 5 spd
More Tech...

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco FAQ > Transmission FAQ's

FAQ Tools
Popular Transmissions To Swap into an Early Bronco Popular Transmissions To Swap into an Early Bronco
This is a brief overview of popular tranny swaps
DebosDave'72
07/19/06
This FAQ will help answer your question as to what transmissions are available to swap into my Early Bronco?

First we will look at Manual Transmissions:

NV3550
- This is a 5-speed overdrive transmission that provides a sporty feel. Needs to be adapted to the stock transfercase and the engine. Has a decently low but driveable first gear.

NV4500
- This is a 5-speed overdrive transmission that is very heavy duty. Needs to be adapted to the stock transfercase and the engine. Has granny low. Truck feel to the shifting, but bulletproof in Early Bronco applications.

Ford ZF
- This is a 5-speed, overdrive transmission that is very heavy duty. Needs to be adapted to the stock transfercase. Has granny low gear, and a truck like shiting feel. Bulletproof and a FORD product!

Borg Warner T-18
- This is a 4-speed heavy duty truck transmission. Needs to be adapted to the stock transfercase. Has a low first gear.

NP435
- This is a 4-speed heavy duty transmission. Needs to be adapted to the stock transfercase. Has a granny low first gear.

TopLoader
- This transmission was available with three different gear sets. It is 4-speed, but can have overdrive and granny low. Needs to be modified to bolt to the stock transfercase

T5
- This transmission is a 5-speed sports car transmission. Provides overdrive, but not heavy duty. Needs to be adapted to the transfercase.

For more information on Manual Transmission swaps into the Early Bronco follow this link:
Manual Transmission Swap Info

Next a look at popular Automatic Transmissions

AOD
- This transmission provides an overdrive. It is a 4-speed automatic. Needs to be adapted to the stock transfercase.

AODE/4R70W
- This transmission allows for overdrive. It is a 4-speed automatic. The difference between the two is the gear sets, with the 4R70W having a slightly lower gearing in the first two gears. Both need to be controlled by a computer. Needs to be adapted to the stock transfercase.

C6
- This transmission is a 3-speed. This is a very heavy duty transmission, considered bulletproof in Early Bronco applications. Needs to be adapted to the stock transfercase.

C4
- This transmission is a 3-speed automatic. It can be found in Early Broncos from the factory. They need to be adapted to the stock transfercase. If you can find one in an Early Bronco, make sure to get the adapter.

700R4
- This transmission is a 4-speed with overdrive. Needs to be adapted to the engine and the stock transfercase. Can be built very strong.

If you would like more information on Popular Automatic Transmission swaps please follow this link:
Automatic Transmission Swap Info

Gear Ratio Chart:

Thanks for looking, I hope this helps a little!

If you can add anything to this FAQ, please respond below:  

Last edited by admin; 08/14/06 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: added gear ratio chart
pfairon on 08/27/08, 10:24 PM
Thanks for info! Any referrals to a Orange County or LA, CA tranny shop? Have 1969 manual that i want to convert to auto with drive shaft shifter.

Thanks in advance
Milkbone222 on 01/19/09, 09:54 AM
Has anyone swapped in an AOD and a monster box transfer case?
stock1970 on 07/14/10, 09:49 AM
ford zf gives a shiting feel.. lol.. spell check..
Nickrp on 08/10/10, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfairon View Post
Thanks for info! Any referrals to a Orange County or LA, CA tranny shop? Have 1969 manual that i want to convert to auto with drive shaft shifter.

Thanks in advance
Was this questions ever answered? As I am in the same boat but with a 67.
Deano on 07/25/12, 11:14 PM
There is a Mazda 5speed out of F150s that doesn't drive like the ZF it has a smoother shifting much like a car.
nabes68 on 09/28/12, 10:38 PM
I am looking at a 4speed from a ford f250 60's with a divorced transfercase will it be a np435 or t18
bmbm on 09/29/12, 08:26 AM
mazda 5 speed

I think it is known as a M50 or something like that. This could be a reasonably low cost swap but it has a hydraulic clutch I think. Wrecking yards should have plenty of them.
Also the ax15 is a nv3550 replacement I have read about, they might be reasonable but needs adapter for ford bell and d20.
Johnnyreb on 03/30/13, 03:12 AM
Is the 5 speed transmission out of say a 80 ford pick-up. The same length as a 4 speed out of a 78?
Johnnyreb on 03/30/13, 03:17 AM
If they are NOT the same length. What lenght difference is their? I,m thinking about going to a 5 speed. What year did Ford start putting 5 speeds in their pick-ups and broncos?
ahansen_1985 on 03/30/13, 07:51 AM
Popular Transmissions To Swap into an Early Bronco

The Mazda unit is called the m5od-r2
Found in late 80? To 90's f150s

It has a lil taller 1st gear ratio than the zf.. But shifts super smooth and fast... Will hold up to a 350 hp 351 no prob... I run mine hard...
The difference as a bronco brother put it,
The zf is a truck feel trans, the m5od is a go cart on steroids

Clutch is internal hydraulic but very easy to install...

1966 bronco, almost nothing factory
ahansen_1985 on 03/30/13, 07:55 AM
Popular Transmissions To Swap into an Early Bronco

Also on the m50d a np 205 tcase will fit with a little modification just notch the trans wedding ring to allow the 205 shift rails clearance...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364651712.840732.jpg

1966 bronco, almost nothing factory
yokeman on 07/08/13, 09:27 PM
Do I really need a hydrolic clutch for my ZF swap? someone told me I didnt
jimmyk on 11/17/13, 02:15 PM
I was curious about the clutch as well.
Joker11 on 08/03/14, 03:17 PM
The ZF for the bronco swap uses a hydraulic throw out bearing. So, yes, you need it.

There is ZF used in diesels that has an external clutch cylinder. I supposed you could fabricate a lever for it somehow.

There is also a ZF used in big block fords. I am pretty sure that one uses an external as well.

Why would you NOT want a hydraulic clutch? so much nicer.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco FAQ > Transmission FAQ's

FAQ Tools