Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 03/14/16, 12:31 PM   #1
EvilWS602

LS1 In an Early Bronco

Hi guys. New to this forum and looking for some help and was told this the place to come. My father and I are rebuilding our 66' Bronco. Quick back story is I wanted to upgrade it to a 5.0 HO or a 351 but he wanted none of it. He asked me one day about converting the 289 to fuel injection so we started looking for the top end of the newer 5.0's. I convinced him if where where looking for the top end why not just drop the 5.0 in it. Kind of had him on board. Then I, being in the late model seen and big into the LS seen told him we should drop a LS1 in it joking being I've been seeing more and more Ford and especially fox bodes with them. He actually was very interested in the idea. We would love to have put the new Coyote 5.0 to leave it Ford but we had and LS1 readily available and the Coyotes and still much harder to come by and much more expensive. Now I know this hasbeen done before and have actually seen a couple for myself but not in detail.

My questions are addressing the headers. The frame rails are so tight in these Broncos we are having an extremely hard time finding something to fit. We have universal motor mounts ready to be welded in soon as position of the motor is determined that can fit a header. Then we'll fabricate a cross member. Any one have any help or advice for this conversion.

Thanks,
Clint

Last edited by EvilWS602; 03/14/16 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Typo
EvilWS602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/16, 01:15 PM   #2
cs_88
Contributor
Bronco Guru

You can't learn anything with your mouth open.

Riverton, Utah

My Gallery
Garage
Here we go...

'74 U151 Bronco Explorer, WH 2.5"SL, C4, 33's, 4.11's, Aussie locker up front, factory LS in back, 351W Edelbrock intake, Summit 600 CFM carb, stock hood no BL no problem, Flowmaster 50's.
'99 F250 V10 ridin' on 35's. '97 Explorer 5.0
cs_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/16, 01:20 PM   #3
BRONCOchild
Bronco Guru

It's a love hate relationship. She loves it and I hate it when she acts up!!

Pomona, CA

My Gallery
Garage
Chevy heart inside a Ford body. But, then again, it's your project. As long as you are content with it.
BRONCOchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/16, 01:21 PM   #4
Timmy390
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Conway, AR
A few guys have done it....Not my cup of tea. I would go diesel before I went LS.

The LS1tech.com site has a bunch of threads on it.

Go to google and search "classic bornco LS"

Tim

74 Half Cab 351w 3 speed, SN95 Mustang EFI, 2 1/2 SL, 1 inch BL, 32's, 4.09/4.11's P/S (Delphi box), All Ford disc conversion, Factory bench seat
Coming Soon, Ford ZF or NV3550 and grafted rear quarters
Timmy390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/16, 01:28 PM   #5
TheGanzman

San Clemente
Kinda like a penis on a woman - it's BEEN done before, but not what *I* wanna see when I "open the hood", if you know what I mean and I think you DO...
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/16, 01:31 PM   #6
bmc69
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Maryland
eBay: ford_bill
I'd bet there are some shorty headers that can be made to work; that's the direction a lot of end up going with some of Ford engine swaps in EBs too. Long tubes?..you are undoubtedly going to have to buy a kit and fab up your own.

'69 retro Bronco. Supercharged MPFI 8BA 239 V-8, C-4/D-20. Hydroboost. 5" lift.
bmc69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/16, 01:37 PM   #7
bax
Contributor
Giant Member

smokin 37's

Melbourne.

My Gallery
Seek out Steve ( yeller )

1971 U15 Ol'blue 5.0/4r70w/205/ 4,11. 1968 U15 - EFI 408C/C6/205/4.88/37's/hi9/ARB's/hydro-boost/full cage/4wdisk/PS/powerasswipe/bla-bla-bla!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/16, 01:51 PM   #8
okie4570
Contributor
Bronco Guru

NW OK
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Seek out Steve ( yeller )
x2 Seen it in person and wheel. Nice set up.

1971 U15 302/np435/twin sticks
1966 U14 Born 9/65'
1966 U15 Born 10/65'
1966 U14 Born 9/65'- SOLD
okie4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/16, 02:47 PM   #9
EvilWS602

This Steve (yeller) is a member on here?

I'm a very active member on LS1tech and actually have posted this very question on there already. Havent gotten help from any one that has done one yet just ideas and opinions which I've tried already. I have both the factory GTO and truck manifolds that I tried for mock up and if they would have fit I would have ordered a shortie for that application but have yet to have squeezed them in. May have to go down the route of custom fabing a set but was trying to avoid the troubles and that cost. One I saw in person had custom ones built for it which exited through the fender-wells and went outside the frame rails. We'd be happy to throw a shorty and let it eat if we can know they fit and how.

That's why I'd like to talk to someone that has done this to get pics or measurements or something.

As far as the Chevy heart.... Guys are putting these LS's in these Fords for a reason. I am a Chevy and LS fan but I would have loved to drop the 5.0 Coyote in it bc they finally caught up with the LS performance market. But still not as familiar but I definitely like the late model market stuff. So it's all in the eyes of the beholder. Will be very nice when done regardless and will be appreciated.
Old 03/14/16, 03:00 PM   #10
bax
Contributor
Giant Member

smokin 37's

Melbourne.

My Gallery
Yes a member on here.

1971 U15 Ol'blue 5.0/4r70w/205/ 4,11. 1968 U15 - EFI 408C/C6/205/4.88/37's/hi9/ARB's/hydro-boost/full cage/4wdisk/PS/powerasswipe/bla-bla-bla!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/16, 03:08 PM   #11
Yeller
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Rogers County OK
Garage
Ok yeah I'm the notorious LS guy......LOL

Unfortunately I've never done a swap, mine was born and bread to have an LS, its a customer chassis from bumper to bumper built like a race car. but I've built a lot of really tight chassis. I've had really good luck finding Sanderson Headers that fit whatever I'm working on, there's not a header made that is any closer, I have used them in 23" wide chassis's without an issue, although not a bronco. They have center, rear and rear swept headers for LS's that are really nice pieces. I've been wanting to try a set of there rear collector units, they are very similar to the short headers that fit a small block Ford in a bronco.
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/

Welcome to the board, there are a bunch of nahsayers about gm engine swaps but no worries, they are a great bunch of guys and gals that as long as you prove to be good people will let it slide. And just remind them that you have less in your entire factory supported fuel injected engine than they do in heads and intake just tryin to keep up some are just jealous

edit: did a bit of poking around, the S10 conversion headers might just be the ticket. Sanderson has always been great about returns when i guessed wrong too...

I've not run headers on mine mostly because I'm anal and want to build a set of 1-3/4" primary long equal length in the 36-38" length like these motors love and just haven't committed to it and I'm enjoying driving/wheelin it.

Driver of the Broncno

The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.
Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/16, 08:55 AM   #12
EvilWS602

Thanks a lot man. I'll try contacting them and asking. No one suggested the S-10 option. I too would love to run equal length long tubes but considering this thing probably will not be doing much wheeling as it was intentionally being built for due to the fact that we are now seeing how much money we are actually doping on this project, it will probably be more a weekend drive with very light wheeling, shorties would do just fine. I am still working the ol man seeing if we can build a custom set of long-tubes that will exit the fenders and run out side the frame-rail, but even the shorties will dress it up nice and make a tone of more power over the stock 289 that cam in the truck.

I really appreciate the help and will look into it. I anyone on here is interested I will keep them posted as we go.

And I absolutely agree, these GM LS engines are by far the most bang for the buck which is why there is so many of them out there in swaps.

Thanks,
Clint
Old 03/15/16, 09:08 AM   #13
77-302

Canton, MI

My Gallery
Garage
I love seeing another Bronco get a second chance at life but why would you take on all that Fab work when a 289/302/351 is a direct bolt up. If you want Fuel injection there is a ton of aftermarket support through vendors for Multiport Ford OEM systems. Or if you want simple, many of us (including me) are going the throttle body injection systems like FiTech, MSD, FAST etc...

Just my $0.02.... but save the LS1 for a Heep...They need all the help they can get...

77 bought 03/06/12 (first Bronco) PS/PB vintage air, rebuilt 302, C4, 2.5" WH w/ Bilstein 5100's, 33" BFGMTK2's on MT Classic 2's , TBP long tubes, Custom SS exhaust, crinkle black powder coated front and TBP rear bumpers, T-bird front caliper kit.
77-302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/16, 09:20 AM   #14
EvilWS602

When my father came originally came to me with the fuel injection set up, that's what i starting looking into, the MSD and such. he did not want to spend that kind of money on the 289. We started looking for the used Multiport Ford setup but that's when I suggested doing an LS swap while working in the shop with him on my 02 Trans Am WS6, being I had just saw a couple Fox bodies with LS swaps and I said "I wish they still had the 5.0 we could throw in our Bronco." I know them very very well, have access to them and tuning and just about anything we need for them. Plus my father and I love this part of it. We are in no rush so we just tinkle and play with the fabing till we are satisfied. Plus it will make great power for not that much money, sound amazing, and be every unique!
Old 03/15/16, 10:56 AM   #15
dclack

Richland, WA
I don't know why I'm helping you out , but here's some reading material for you...

http://northwestclassicbroncos.com/s...light=subronco
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums...d.php?t=133589

'73 Sport, 351W EFI, ZF 5spd, Twin Stick D20, D44, BB 9", Detroits f&r
dclack is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech