• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

my '74 Build Thread--408W/C4/Atlas 2 3.0/35 Spline Rear

BanditBronco

If it helps, you might be interested to know that you got a steal on tuning if you ask me, around here for a full tune you are looking close to $1k to get a rig on the dyno and tuned correctly. That is efi stuff but still lots cheaper than what I have seen other places in the country.

Will it smoke the tires if you brake stand?

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it helps, you might be interested to know that you got a steal on tuning if you ask me, around here for a full tune you are looking close to $1k to get a rig on the dyno and tuned correctly. That is efi stuff but still lots cheaper than what I have seen other places in the country.

Will it smoke the tires if you brake stand?

The tuner I found locally is very honest and good at what he does. I was fortunate to find him. She will go back to him when I go EFI.

It'll smoke the tires without any brakes. First gear high is two black strips. I'm happy. Converter has a ton to do with this IMO.

But the true test is on Thursday on the sand. I hope it runs on the sand (hills) like it did on the rollers. He was not a fan of the Edelbrock carb I have. But he's a Holley guy.

BanditBronco

The tuner I found locally is very honest and good at what he does. I was fortunate to find him. She will go back to him when I go EFI.

It'll smoke the tires without any brakes. First gear high is two black strips. I'm happy. Converter has a ton to do with this IMO.

But the true test is on Thursday on the sand. I hope it runs on the sand (hills) like it did on the rollers. He was not a fan of the Edelbrock carb I have. But he's a Holley guy.

Nice! I would imagine converter plays a big part in that, I know guys around here with 408w that can't get the tires to budge. As long as you don't have stumbling issues with rough terrain I think you should be fine. That is the only reason I went to efi, I couldn't keep a steady running engine bouncing around in rough dunes. I dig your set up I just wish it was easier to build and end all be all rig, we like ripping Glamis and we like going crawling also. having a Bronco that does both above average is not easy with the packaging available.

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice! I would imagine converter plays a big part in that, I know guys around here with 408w that can't get the tires to budge. As long as you don't have stumbling issues with rough terrain I think you should be fine. That is the only reason I went to efi, I couldn't keep a steady running engine bouncing around in rough dunes. I dig your set up I just wish it was easier to build and end all be all rig, we like ripping Glamis and we like going crawling also. having a Bronco that does both above average is not easy with the packaging available.
Thanks! Mine is far from a do-it-all Bronco but I'm working on it. :cool:

I will have EFI but right now the University of Colorado Boulder gets all my money I used to have for the Bronco.

I would love to crawl but in hindsight I wish I would have gone with the HD Atlas case so I could add the doubler. I don't have the best crawl-ratio with my gearing (4.10), tire size and TC (3.0). Maybe the TC (3K RPM) and Grizzly's would help.

I have a winter list going that will include a track bar drop bracket and PSC hydraulic assist steering. Presently my suspension is limited at full stuff (at full droop too Lol) due to the track bar touching the oil pan. Hopefully dropping the track bar and going back to a drop pitman will let me go a little faster through the chop. I've had my front tires 3' off the ground and all was good until I raised the axle side of the track bar to make room for the ram-assist and going TRO. I've extended my bumps to keep from hitting my oil pan--right where the high volume pump is and right where the pan was modified for the necessary clearance of the pump. Pics of the pan modification are in this thread.

Some day I will go with some nice bypass shocks so I can move around a little faster. One step at a time.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
It's definitely a building process... I'm 17 years in and about 1/2 way there! :)
EFIGuy hooked me up with the computer and harness for my 351 and it was a screamer right out of the box. No more offcamber stumbles or bogs. Highly recommended.
Have fun out there this weekend. Weather looks like mid July type temps...

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's definitely a building process... I'm 17 years in and about 1/2 way there! :)
EFIGuy hooked me up with the computer and harness for my 351 and it was a screamer right out of the box. No more offcamber stumbles or bogs. Highly recommended.
Have fun out there this weekend. Weather looks like mid July type temps...

I've seen yours run and it is a screamer.

Too bad you're not able to go this weekend. Weather does look amazing. Last year we went one week later for the guys fall trip and it rained a lot and was pretty cold. I was amazed that there was only one restaurant open. Hopefully this year more is open and more peeps are on the sand. Fun to watch the crazies (and be one once in a while Lol). ;D

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So how did it run on the sand? Did you notice a big difference?

It's better but not there yet. I think my carb just doesn't like the hill. It runs fine to 6300 rpm on the dyno (flat) but doesn't like getting into the secondaries on the hill. That said, it will "plane-out" on the hill and actually accelerate on the hill if I get into the secondaries for a second.

I hammered it pretty hard last night on the street giving some friends rides and it never missed a beat. I have been looking at EFI since getting back from SLSD last weekend. I'm kinda liking the Holley Sniper. I'd go Ford EFI but don't want to do away with my intake.

Hope you're doing well.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Carbs just don't like the whoop-de-dos and offcamber stuff out there. I think you would really dig fuel injection. It just keeps going. Don't care what angle you are on... I'd say get a Lightning intake but it might not flow enough for the 408...

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Carbs just don't like the whoop-de-dos and offcamber stuff out there. I think you would really dig fuel injection. It just keeps going. Don't care what angle you are on... I'd say get a Lightning intake but it might not flow enough for the 408...

That's pretty much where I'm at. I want EFI but not sure about the flow with OEM. Looking at the Sniper but not sure if that is good to go or if it will be another one that's not supported after a few years.

I have Monster Mike's Q-Jet in my garage as well as an unmodified adapter to make it fit on my intake. Just struggling with working more on another carb versus EFI. Was never keen on the adapter for my intake. I've read where some actually have to turn the Q-Jet 180° to get it to run correctly. And some modify the adapter.

My father-in-law thinks a low pressure Carter electric fuel pump will help with my problem on the hill. I have the pump in the garage and have been thinking about trying it.

callmemarsh

A ton of great info on here. Your build has officially changed the trajectory of mine! haha

Check it out in my signature!

Jamie Chriss

I have been following your build! I see you went with the Currie Anti Sway, the Currie family was my second home growing up, fantastic people their dad would be so proud!

I am very interested in your build, I know you said this was a great move going with the Duff 4 Link, I know you would do it all again, is there anything else you looked at? I am just finishing up a complete tub build and have a new frame coming and need to make some big decisions. I really like the idea of a 4 link, this one looks solid. I was looking at the Krawlers Edge 4 Link because it is simple and effective but I don' think they have it in production anymore. I noticed you are running (4) rear shocks is that normal or is that something you added for the Dunes? I hate to say this but I don't like the way the Duff shocks look, reminds me of the early 80's.

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A ton of great info on here. Your build has officially changed the trajectory of mine! haha

Check it out in my signature!

Thanks Marshall. I am impressed with your build. Let me know if you need those radius arms.

I have been following your build! I see you went with the Currie Anti Sway, the Currie family was my second home growing up, fantastic people their dad would be so proud!

I am very interested in your build, I know you said this was a great move going with the Duff 4 Link, I know you would do it all again, is there anything else you looked at? I am just finishing up a complete tub build and have a new frame coming and need to make some big decisions. I really like the idea of a 4 link, this one looks solid. I was looking at the Krawlers Edge 4 Link because it is simple and effective but I don' think they have it in production anymore. I noticed you are running (4) rear shocks is that normal or is that something you added for the Dunes? I hate to say this but I don't like the way the Duff shocks look, reminds me of the early 80's.

I looked at the Krawlers Edge 4-link but went with Duff's. Like it says in this thread, I wanted to build my own 4-link but the more I read the more confused I got. And I didn't have time to do any tweaking after it was done. The Duff kit is extremely beefy. I should have weighed one of the arms before I installed them--they are heavy.

IMO the Duff 4-link kit is very reasonably priced. I ended up going with front long arms and the complete 3.5" suspension from them. The complete kit came with two shocks at each corner. I agree that the shocks look dated. I really want to go with some single Fox or Kings at each corner but I have one in college now and in two years I will have two in college at the same time. My "fun money" is pretty much nonexistent these days. Note to self: Start saving for college when kids are born.

If one has the knowledge I believe you could build a 4-link for less money than the Duff one but the key is having the knowledge. And time. I've read threads on here where guys are checking their numbers and the Wise Ones are very helpful with sharing their knowledge. This site is awesome--it has to be the friendliest site I've ever been on.

I haven't ridden in a Duff 4-link without a rear sway bar but I rode in a custom traingulated 4-link in an EB that didn't have a sway bar and I would recommend getting the sway bar Duff is now selling that is like mine. It could be modified to be quick disconnect but I have not done that for what I use mine for.

Not sure I answered everything but let me know if you want any more details.

Jamie Chriss

Thanks? I think somewhere in your post you said University of Colorado? I have a senior at Boulder, and a freshman at San Diego State. CU is super expensive.

Looking at the two kits offered by Duff, one is for Coil Overs, your is for the shock system. I would prefer to go with coil overs, any idea what coil over I would need for each corner? Would you still need the two inner shocks?

I would like to run coil overs on the front any recommendations there?

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks? I think somewhere in your post you said University of Colorado? I have a senior at Boulder, and a freshman at San Diego State. CU is super expensive.

Looking at the two kits offered by Duff, one is for Coil Overs, your is for the shock system. I would prefer to go with coil overs, any idea what coil over I would need for each corner? Would you still need the two inner shocks?

I would like to run coil overs on the front any recommendations there?

My son's a freshman at CU Boulder. It is pretty expensive. Especially compared to his other favorite (Indiana University) which is in-state and less than half of CU. Congrats on only having less than a year to pay the CU bursar. :cool:

I would be zero help regarding coil-overs. If you are interested in the Duff kit, I'd talk to Monster Mike about them with the 4-link kit. And maybe talk to the coil-over manufacturer. There are some guys here on CB that run coil-overs--maybe you could get an idea from their threads.

Another option would be struts. I really liked JSmall's build thread. He went with struts and did an awesome job. Seems to me like if you want to get good travel with coil-overs or struts you need to know what you are doing like JSmall or Yeller among others. Me...I'd just have to take mine to someone like those guys. Not sure if you're looking for street ride or travel with the coil-overs.

I believe the four rear shocks on my kit are more for body roll. I probably should take my inner two off as I run the sway bar.

Jolly Roger

Hey 5001craig, I've been following your build and I'm at a point in my build that it's time to start making some suspension decisions. I really like your Duff set up and wanted to get your opinion on few things. Is there anything you would do different in hindsight? Do you have any issues with the 35's rubbing? What are your thoughts on doing the 5.5 monster suspension with 4 link instead of the 3.5? I want to do 37"s on 17" wheels but don't want it top heavy and scary to drive on the street. I will have to do a BL to clear the 351w that's going in. Mine will be street and trail driven for fun-not my daily driver just a weekend toy. Do you like the shocks or would you go with a single adjustable shock by King, bilstein, Fox...if budget allowed. Thanks

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey 5001craig, I've been following your build and I'm at a point in my build that it's time to start making some suspension decisions. I really like your Duff set up and wanted to get your opinion on few things. Is there anything you would do different in hindsight? Do you have any issues with the 35's rubbing? What are your thoughts on doing the 5.5 monster suspension with 4 link instead of the 3.5? I want to do 37"s on 17" wheels but don't want it top heavy and scary to drive on the street. I will have to do a BL to clear the 351w that's going in. Mine will be street and trail driven for fun-not my daily driver just a weekend toy. Do you like the shocks or would you go with a single adjustable shock by King, bilstein, Fox...if budget allowed. Thanks

Sounds like our rigs are used similarly. Sorry for the delay in getting back with you.

I do rub at full lock but that is because of my rim offset. Tires, rims and shocks are something I would like to change but just not at this time.

I like the 3.5" suspension I went with but I will say that handling changes on the street with four people in the truck as opposed to just two. At Super Cel I offered to take a guy and his son on the first ride to Bush's Beans and it was a hand-full on the way there in the twisties. His wife drove her car and they rode back with her and it was back to normal on the return.

The main reason I went with the Duff 4-link was to have zero or minimal axle deflection with the engine I was going with. If I would not have been going with a lot of HP I'm not sure I would have gone this direction for the type of terrain I run on. It does ride great on the street and when I want to lay-down two black marks I'm not thinking about axle deflection.

I'm no expert on these things but with that said, if you need a 2" BL for the 351 then I would just go with the 3.5" SL and go with Warflares located accordingly. Monster Mike would be a better person to ask about 37's and the 3.5" SL.

I'd love to upgrade the shocks. The ones that come with the kit work until you want to go beyond what these are used for. I've had my front tires off the ground and the four Duff shocks up front (along with the bump stops) worked but I would't do that on a regular basis without a lot of other mods. When I did that the dunes were really peaked from high winds and there was a fine line between making it and getting high-centered. I think removing one shock at each corner and adding bump-stops up front would be good.

With the Duff 4-link I had to go with four limiting straps as this suspension flexes more than the u-joints had travel. Also, I would personally budget for the sway bar Duff sells now unless you are prioritizing axle travel. I've done donuts on wet pavement and the sway bar helps a bunch.

Jolly Roger

Thanks for the response! I just got my body and frame back from sandblasting today so I'll be working on the suspension piece while my buddy works on the body sheet metal. Trying as hard as I can to get this thing done within a 12 month time frame. I'll give Monster Mike a call for his thoughts.

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the response! I just got my body and frame back from sandblasting today so I'll be working on the suspension piece while my buddy works on the body sheet metal. Trying as hard as I can to get this thing done within a 12 month time frame. I'll give Monster Mike a call for his thoughts.

12 month time-frame with the body... That seems crazy to me but I'm not a body guy. Just doing what I did in six months took a lot of effort and determination. Good luck!

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haven't done much at all on the Bronco--just been playing with it in the sand. But I did get something done this last weekend I've been wanting to do for quite some time now.

As I've mentioned, I have been running 35 x 14.5 x 16 Super Swamper TSL Radials tire since I did the drivetrain work. These tires are extremely heavy (load range E). I was thinking I read they were 94 pounds no rim but can't see the spec's on them on Interco's website now.

I mainly run this rig in the sand at Silver Lake Sand Dunes. The TSL's worked but I knew I wanted a lighter tire designed more for sand. I even started a thread looking for the best sand tire. Paddles are out as I drive too far from the campground to the dunes. And I don't want to trailer it to the parking lot at the dunes.

Some time ago I saw the Desert Master tires made by Sand Tires Unlimited. I pretty much knew instantly that these were the tires I wanted. Took me a little while to work through the commitment part as I needed new 12" wide wheels too. Anyhow, I ordered a set of these tires and Mickey Thompson 12" wide Classic III's in July at Duneland (a distributor of these tires right at the entrance to the dunes). I finally got a chance to get back up there this weekend and got the tires on the truck and play in the sand.

They work amazingly in the sand. I was running 9 psi front and 8 psi rear. Traction was not even close to an issue. I was able to do everything in 2WD (never could do that before) and even stop in the middle of Test Hill then start moving again and go on up--in 4WD of course. The interesting part is they are really quiet on the road and the Bronco drives much better than it did with the old heavy LR E tires. The tread is not flat like the old tires--more rounded so the center rides on the road which I think makes the steering feel lighter. I think I will go up to 10/9 psi as I was getting just a little too much traction (got a little bounce when not hammering but the sand was wet) which I believe will make them even more quiet on the road (I could barely hear them at all). I am glad I went this route and would highly recommend them if you are looking for a tire that mainly runs in the sand but you don't want paddles. The STU website mentions other uses for these tires as well.

Unmounted tire beside my TSL's:

hIfTA1GUcn_a3Zg9nB1Ycco_OSM0ft9JxR3jnCXGUeW5b21cmsLarBjHWAJ7IJWG3heWx30A2Yr9ABVzKtzHaPnvUf1Kdo05B1BXr-1wBmA7oPCpVI2ECm5w7Xcf1bfIfcfaGO4uIPklNqm-_gQYTnosB9_FqWCXcFcj62E0pPHe1tF-2SqTUc3hyteS5jikAqgrWIvG_RqGMYLhkzIk8zLQKsdRHJIxOrh-43bXqYPrc8HkQHZSIu_rFTdx4rc4Y1tBIW-ycPofueoj-ZdpSKPcBL_G5wYNghOwgTGA2vJ-3rMFOmWi3W1ourJxkfiZlI_NmY6vJGuVhrqnVFlO7OYc63sQqlPM1FQRKAPnuAeqbdpwDSr6ns84TT1EQHzTwo-Sh3M76vrcDJL7BEbPq8UZ-4uR-317DvhWT4LNjgSFmhdtqVL9Uz5CP2exCqeWZNfMHYyWyhqWY5YRq01jzQ0FaFlhlDlo46L1rOs2eYzcMUioPImevTIH-5VWVorCZiJvY73lzn7pwTqUvFrT2Q59Hy9zUzmlTuUjUW7lfXMeGEY4wRK-HZ1JGVJ4xeODBvHLmSjWb7-bqkJuARd0w4soI6gAiFq-VHpBKXal_C9OKrTfYEL-6-jbU3SxpZBF=w719-h958-no

powvCqQSqAmb_AtANL5QkECh4DjpZoX4t_mYBJXez-fyxasL7xRyikwd8PG7Qd84LdXDeq4OHrEyxXf54-UtUYtVQfCHEezPJvA5WWbTSt3EPyVWOT_fAXhIQha-yKhLYVvVkqNglVyXOI0B-sA0YeRqqBmHXw-nd8OPTeNUtMa6Ccp9T9ku-8pcHEiy2i51nkvA_Bp0580hfYqfZfA4crtpZAiydpGG23ufpjUv34Xi5EyCaRKDFI1qzYzwDf6_tnR2RsXaxzFJSIVw5X2C2NOtcfc0e8vgLAoDqwPl6R84gjiL_X6dI44FhJu-QwFWY_vYWqP2TJAUrbVSOwGIndNRihqscLs8Yicvv0GFtxhrn0EnoAb3r20HsphVlYw1Zn9at16QqJdgA71G5PKEUjdghEbwKT9aB_n9zKR7l-gusBLIfYOROkpMqV_80Ef85_FzM7zGFTfqxcKw4YG_WWC4IH5C6zlWVadLm5zRiuWRi04E1e9fe51kC63pun0zZ8atUPjHzbC4C9KG3wjAQLZ7yEhuSDoGeePxcbJ6lwDb2m-Zuy0O5nkRMDK0bHv6yQGHprcMnOa1JfCta_phkigUL_goqpCW79H40WN4QuMv0qHULP0oOu7CRwAqzXNE=w1278-h958-no

jecKm-GG-wIzFKsCrtvPK_4AGDb_eyZu_U0NoauURMQQd_sxJ-8NDQRwoZWq87pkzF-AaNUQF1MI_seTN_ecobFXxr1aofXuTbKJkU06Pve1am8O4zFMyjAPL1oRWtoCF5prvD0VIEsHdejT5zOs32Xh2luLmVB3Yt3Jdp-SOItqs9c5485tC2PRPyuZwnuycuogejm88MLLRz34WAZAe0-cFIoIIzB981VZCu9sOK_Yau7cHbFUc08PNJHKDIklWLEtZJVUhPSqLsL6B7eB5DT8XTV3-gI4TaWbWXCBNHXicBedPTGKrcRhROpROvSt3IsbgdgzQ3t2yHHQfNT9dYAyy8wI1Ox986yxZ5wmjY4qvZVpNm_Uy_J0ts8ROQmbxEK-FCSwOVWrAj7Kp3hbP0iqgCnqjehZVmF0j-624giUCWxTX5Zf2AIheqhNUi25iRdxcUD5B5A-8BMWX9PT7576FpTH-TW_0SIq6tA-rNltf56f2E5hRlcVPXIGOXCSwMl06wYGVaaGvI4G2AP9H83beqztMY0fZH14MS-gL2w8wmm3-fWBoandmF1nV56UWVnzEd4C-DqygqmPrunUn5WoIe4kCRrE26H42qI939REwFFqqaGSuVwfyr4wUGta=w1278-h958-no

BmAz9PKH4BaPtcj46j9s2jRQt9cATvEFP0rNqOiyjj90rs2C9MolI-8D5xWtKvKr83bKyeTClnBwXnK59RQAMkrAybYFxwUgddateg1t8gaD3Bn2Pf6W88c9Y2oOMOtUPWaMWeIzJzXc1KlMJkizNgDWoOZRLP_53wKTR-QV3Bq3iaz7qW1pmxFmL-zmGetu2P99iwtNQZ2IwxSCjpdH1bW4NeB1gmKXUkBCib-hx2JYIElCYO4cCcfilCuMP_kzTitHKFu07dTKQ2qZDBHCP_h2pvFnhSxMX4NtGo5V3CS758cUXwxZgGeh2Ygn71vWyxqKBzVV3KqDRJ3YQXq6C9ES215Ik4gUKt08MEhignNgIRaLo5dWkbECO-gUO7YMSBOxLupfD4tKigDBoiLxT4so1h-nmOkwK3vpfWZq6xWgfev8Pfp_rv8hymodOyAqlqbEccWF0kOC180NTyoNGuSFitC3ZB3NJJFG0MP7L-CtPrTC3i7zEtDEhkfr4NEodFAuL0lipZhOOezVghjlHhbHR2LwpRLoNqUj4weihQCo0lTzIlwgkX6f0oDmhowwBSD8nvVH8rhS4-PS8RiJwkywdP-Oi6TsrzLvtnek0R8kJcxBEAPdUhk08bJpVA5o=w1278-h958-no

So now the goal is EFI, hydroboost and ram assist over the winter...