• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring harness to steering column

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Need a little guidance, I am trying to repin the bronco harness into a 4 1/4 in GM plug for an aftermarket column. The bronco harness has a white/red stripe wire which I think is hazard switch which places this harness as a 72 - Newer if I am reading everything correctly but it also has some color wires that I cannot correctly identify. Anyone have the chassis side color identification so I can connect it to the right pin on the column?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Thought I would post a bit more information. The wire colors I have are:

Green single - right rear directional?
Green doubled up - ?
White/red stripe - 4 way flasher
Red/ black stripe - stop light switch
White/blue stripe doubled up with a blue/ white stripe - right front directional
Blue/yellow stripe - horn relay
Yellow/black stripe - left rear directional
Blue - flasher, turn signal power
Blue/red stripe - auto indicator light

Not sure about the three total green wires and not totally certain why two green are doubled up and the blue/ white is doubled up. This is exactly how they were in the stock ford harness, I did one pin at a time. Maybe the double pinned green is right rear directional just like the doubles up blue/white is right front directional. Not an expert by any means just want to get this done correctly into the complete pile. And since everyone like pictures:

2d5c393d5842ec53b1cedc087c5a1d38.jpg
cc38f84267d33d593283837fcbef33a5.jpg

I tried it with and without light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Those are doubled up because one goes to the turn signal lamp and the other to the indicator on the speedometer cluster.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Hey Pete, these are what I have on file for column wiring. If you need a hand this week, give me a ring.

Attachments

• 0E37A46C-DBC2-4F91-92BD-F40F8626661A-5241-0000035CC8B232F4.jpeg
    0E37A46C-DBC2-4F91-92BD-F40F8626661A-5241-0000035CC8B232F4.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Those are doubled up because one goes to the turn signal lamp and the other to the indicator on the speedometer cluster.

Chuck That was what I was thinking after I wrote this but if that is the case then green doubled up and the white/blue doubled up can't both go to the right side...

Which means I have to rethink that.

Hey Pete, these are what I have on file for column wiring. If you need a hand this week, give me a ring.

Art that first table you posted is what I am using, thanks! It still does not answer why I have the two sets of green wires though. If I use the table for the latest years (Because of the white/red stripe wire) I just have to sort out the green wires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No horn relay on a '72. So the power comes in one wire (supposedly Yellow), and out the other (Blue w/yellow) directly to the horn.
Any chance there's a Yellow only (no stripe) with 12v all the time?

No auto indicator illumination in a '72 either (except for the last month or two of production) so you can see why we run into trouble with these things so often. Your '72 was getting ready for '73, which then morphed into the '74, with horn relay and integrated hazard flashers.
Which is why '73 factory TS switches are a real bugger to decipher sometimes, and why '72's and '74's sometimes have oddities to deal with as well.

The doubled Green likely has a hard to see white stripe. Can you see any semblance of a stripe?

You can always test each wire directly, but it looks like you're getting there.

Paul

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Paul,

There is definitely a white with red stripe which I believe makes the harness a 74-77 harness according to the table Art posted earlier. This truck is registered as a 71, the tub is a 66 U13 California heater delete truck. Who knows what the dash was out of. The column was a cut down no power steering column with a skate board wheel as a lower bushing. To say it is a Frankenstein is an understatement! With that said, I bought it right...

The guy I bought it from was in the process of scrapping dozens of broncos. I am sure very little of this truck is original to anything. The 302 was a low mileage unit out of an F100 and the front axle looks like some kind of Dana 44 with outer kingpins. 71 blazer front disk brakes and rear Chevy calipers from the same vintage. This was an 80’s mud truck. You should have seen the roll bar in it!

It has a winch in the rear between the frame rails which exits through the center of the stock bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, sorry. Missed that part. But that just means you're in it for more fun than anticipated!

Get the BOM number off of that axle. They did supply the occasional EB with a 44 front with the smaller tubes and king-pin outers between '68 and '70.
Most of the ones I've heard of or seen were in the '70 model year. Maybe yours was a very early '71, or it was also swapped in from yet another Bronco.

Be interesting to keep track of these with their BOM's.

Paul