• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In need of wiring help

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
So far the EZ wiring harness install has gone along pretty smoothly. Bought a great crimper from Grainger that does the job on my Waytek splices. All is looking pretty good. But now we have under the dashboard issues.

The rig is a 69, 3spd on the column. Upgrading to a 351 out of a 95 van. Have a steering column harness from JBG and the original equipment plug. Installed the harness into the plug. Problem is that the female side of the plug with original (?) wiring still installed doesn't match the wiring diagram for the '69. Colors don't agree. The directions fro the EZ harness don't match up to what is already there and the column harness has a couple of wires that don't make sense either.

Just realized that my contributor status has expired so I can't post pics. I'll get that sorted soon.

I supposed the JBG harness is meant for more than one year model. But I can't solve the riddle of the other side of the plug and mating it up to the EZ harness. Any ideas?

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
More precisely...

The wires I need to identify are these:

1) From the steering column in the new harness, one green with red stripe and one orange. These are not in the six terminal plug for the steering column harness. The wiring diagram calls out a second two terminal plug but with different wire colors. I think they are left and right rear turn signals.

2) On the other half of the steering column harness plug (vehicle side) green with a white stripe. From the same terminal is a green with white stripe connected to a socket for the gauge cluster

3) Blue with white stripe on vehicle side of the plug

4) Yellow on vehicle side of the plug.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have a steering column harness from JBG and the original equipment plug.

What does that mean? A new turn signal switch for the original column?
Original plug from the '69?

Installed the harness into the plug. Problem is that the female side of the plug with original (?) wiring still installed doesn't match the wiring diagram for the '69. Colors don't agree. The directions fro the EZ harness don't match up to what is already there and the column harness has a couple of wires that don't make sense either.

Haven't looked at an EZ wire diagram in a long time, but do they spell out the cross-over between GM color codes and Ford color codes? If not you have to figure out your own using the factory colors and the written descriptions on the EZ wires themselves. Go by the description because those are GM colors.

Is the steering column still a '69? Should be a switch with two copper contacts for the horn button, and without any light bulb socket or hazard switch. If it's got either of those, it's the wrong switch.

I supposed the JBG harness is meant for more than one year model.

Should be '66 to '72 all the same.

But I can't solve the riddle of the other side of the plug and mating it up to the EZ harness. Any ideas?

What type of plug is included in the EZ harness? Usually it's some kind of long flat affair that GM used for years. If you prefer though you can make your own connector(s) that might work better for you.
The factory Ford connectors changed at least three times over the years, so you can't always look for consistency. If your new switch/harness came with a new connector, it's likely not for your year as I think those are not available. You'd have to re-use your old one from the harness you took out.
Hopefully you didn't throw it all away yet.

From the sound of it, the EZ harness wires have some stripes? That's new to me, since the only ones I've seen are solid colors.
Your Green w/red stripe and Green w/white strip and Blue w/white sure sound like Ford colors. Are they now offering a Ford-specific harness?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, is there a link anywhere to the EZ wiring diagram you're using? Or when you get the contributor thing back, can you post one up maybe?

Paul

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Thanks for responding to my obviously poorly written questions Paul!

To your first question, I installed a new turn signal switch and harness in my 69 steering column. It is the correct switch for the 69 and as far as I can tell I have the original 69 column in the truck. I inserted the wires from the new switch into the original 6 pin connector, in the locations that matched the wires removed. The wiring diagram calls out a 6 pin connector for the front lights, hazard and horn and a two pin connector for the rear lights. That all seems correct.

The wires for the rear lights coming from the turn signal switch have colors that do not match the wiring diagram from Ford.

The EZ wiring harness has solid color wires stamped with the circuit every 6-12 inches.

The EZ harness doesn't have a plug attached for the column. In the directions it matches color from the new harness with the OEM color and leaves it to the user to figure out how to put it together. Problem is a couple of them don't match up with the colors from my original harness.

There you go. Clear as mud.

I can't find a link to my particular harness. I am using the 17 circuit mini-fuse set up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, we run into weird wiring colors on Bronco turn signals all the time. So this should be doable.
Don't think it happens with '69's very often compared to the big change in '73 and '74, but hey, it's nice to be first sometimes, right?%);)

Can you lay out all the colors for us? This way we can compare to either another diagram or our own memories. Viperwolf is particularly good at that. Maybe he's on tonight?

But just from my own quickie diagram I pulled up for a '69 Pickup (same 2+6 connector style) they run like this:

2-wire connector:
Orange w/blue stripe - Mates up to a Green wire to the right side brake/turn lamp.
Green w/orange stripe - Mates up to a Yellow wire to the left side brake/turn lamp.
(as you suspected) but leave it to Ford to change the color of the wiring mid-way through a circuit!

6-wire connector (only 4 wires):
White w/blue - Mates to White w/blue right front turn signal and dash indicator.
Green w/white - Mates to Green w/white left front turn signal and dash indicator.
Green w/red - Mates up to Black w/red stripe (brake light and hazard switches)
Blue - Looks like power for the turn signals. In from the flasher unit.

That's for a full-size though, but should get you started. I'll compare it to an early Bronco diagram and see what matches.

In the meantime, if you have any colors that don't match those, post them up.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I forgot the obvious Yellow, and Blue w/yellow stripe for the horn.
Oddly enough, not listed in the full-size diagram. Even in the old Bronco diagrams in the Chilton's book the horn is not even shown. But the odd looking "switch" that is un-named I've got penciled in as the horn switch with those two wire colors.

Yellow would be power in from the harness, and the Blue w/yellow is out to the horn.
This is before they started using a relay in the horn circuit, which your EZ Wire harness very likely has.
If this is the case, then you can swap wires around accordingly.

Paul

Last edited:

ransil

Bronco Guru
download the other harness instructions, centech, painless and AAW they will help identify the wires.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is from the Centech instructions. Calls out the wire colors for the different years.

Attachments

• Centech Turn Signal.jpg
    Centech Turn Signal.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 23