• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Causes of coolant in oil

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Like the title says I have coolant getting into my oil pan.. No oil is getting into my coolant though. My engine is still running great. What could be the cause?? I'm thinking a bad intake gasket, does that sound right? My plugs look good

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
That would be my guess, because if it was a head gasket you would have other symptoms.

There is a gasket to avoid. I believe it is one of the Fel-Pro ones.
One of the fellers here will know.

BTT

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, have you done any recent work like intake or timing chain?
I would put a cooling system pressure tester on the radiator. You may see or hear the leak.
Good luck

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
is your oil milky? does your coolant get low? If it has not run for a long time and the coolant isnt low then it may just condensation turning the oil milky

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The reason for coolant in the oil rather than the reverse is the pressure difference. The cooling system runs about 14 pounds and the crankcase pressure is near zero.

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Thanks guys. No Crush it's not milky at all, just reads a quart higher then it should on the dip stick. I also just changed the oil pan and noticed green on the top which I'm thinking has to be radiator fluid..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Oil level going up can be a fuel pump going bad or a really bad carb. Fuel diluted oil.
But if you have green coolant in the oil, you have a coolant leak.

If the pan is still off, now is a GREAT time to look for the leak. Pressurize the cooling system (pump up pressure tester) and look for the drips. Start chasing. I've known this to be used on big diesels (mining equipment stuff) where they could not find a leak but had coolant in the oil. In that case it was a bad O-ring at the base of a cylinder sleeve (that engine had replaceable cylinder sleeves).

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Pan is no longer off and at least the oil pan leak is now fixed lol... Not fuel, I've got a great running Holley Sniper Efi hooked up with an electronic fuel pump.. Maybe I just need to drain the oil again and refill it. MAYBE I just put too much, but I doubt it. I think I need to try replacing that intake gasket

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
That would be my guess, because if it was a head gasket you would have other symptoms.

There is a gasket to avoid. I believe it is one of the Fel-Pro ones.
One of the fellers here will know.

BTT

The Felpro 1250 was once the recommended gasket for an aluminum intake. The problem is, aluminum intakes have a lower recommended bolt torque. The Felpro 1250 is a fiber only gasket. The Felpro 1250s3 is now the recommended gasket for that application. It has a steel reinforcement that holds it in place better.
There are several other brands of gaskets similar to the Felpro 1250 that probably should be avoided in the same application.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Felpro 1250 was once the recommended gasket for an aluminum intake. The problem is, aluminum intakes have a lower recommended bolt torque. The Felpro 1250 is a fiber only gasket. The Felpro 1250s3 is now the recommended gasket for that application. It has a steel reinforcement that holds it in place better.
There are several other brands of gaskets similar to the Felpro 1250 that probably should be avoided in the same application.

And make sure you put it on correctly. It's not a gasket that can go on either direction.

suckerpunched

I'm not sure what the green is you saw, but if there was a quart of coolant in the oil, It would be milky after being run. It doesn't take much water in the oil to show up on the stick (looks like chocolate milk)

oldiron

Bronco Guru
And... you said that the green was on top. Unless I'm wrong the water will be at the bottom of the pan not the top.
Greg

Powerbyford

Loc.
Garden City, MO
No, you are right about being on the bottom. Easy check is to CAREFULLY loosen but not remove the drain plug after it sits a few days. Antifreeze or water will settle to the bottom and come out around the threads when the plug is getting loose. Green means antifreeze, clear means condensation.