Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 09/18/18, 10:11 AM   #1
svastano
Contributor

My Gallery
Garage
Boss Man Sam's Build Thread

Group,

I have been asking a lot of questions and I have even started the rebuild a 2nd time on this Bronco. To give you some history on the Bronco and the name of the build. First the name "Boss Man Sam" well that was my dad and he passed away about 3 years ago.
He told my daughter that she could have this bronco. Reason that is the 2nd rebuild was when I was in college, about 25 years ago, he bought this beast of a bronco that was so riddled with rot we tossed the metal body. In place we put a Fiberglass body that was made real close to where we live. It was a place in Columbiana OH, I can't remember the name of the place right off but the quality of the body is pretty good. When I did the rebuild the first time we stripped the bronco down to the frame and I had the frame sent to a local place that hot dip galvanizes. Whole frame was dipped so this frame will outlast all of us on this board because the interior of the frame is galvanized too! Again on that build rebuilt everything as best as we could and my dad drove it 870 miles. Yes less than a 1000 miles and then it got parked in the garage. Right before my daughter was born, 16 years ago, he was going to sell it. I said no, I wanted it and started the transition. We had steel doors on the fiberglass tub and a fiberglass top on it. I didn't want doors nor a top so those got sold long ago. From the same company that did the tub I purchased the door insert and got them somewhat molded in and that is where it stopped until this year. The photo below is when we moved it from it's resting place for the last 16 years to my shop.

My daughter is in both photos. I have much bigger plans for the bronco than just no top and no doors. Since I have 2 teens I want this to be a safe and fun vehicle for them Hopefully I will have it done before the are out of their teens!

My list of upgrades:

1. Bigger tires

2. Family roll cage Including new seats and 5 point harnesses

3. Rework front & rear bumpers to add winch and tire carrier:

4. Lift & all polyurethane bushings ( working on now)

5. Back to frame off restoration so the body will be coming back off to paint the frame in the black this time.
6. Fix all the body work that is not complete
7. Lizard Skin lining on the underneath for heat protection
8. Rebuild "again" Motor and tranny
9. Bed liner interior on the floor.
10. Paint to an original 77 color but not the original green ( going dark blue this time)

11. Some misc things like light bar and mirrors too.

I hope to keep this thread updated in my dad's memory. Stay tuned!
svastano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/18, 03:14 PM   #2
luke

looks like a cool project! Keep us posted!
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/18, 08:06 PM   #3
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Awesome. Good job dad. Look forward to your success with it

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/18, 04:25 AM   #4
svastano
Contributor

My Gallery
Garage
An update on this: Added 2 1/2" springs from JBG up front to level it out. I have mixed feelings looks a bit nose up to me but I don't know if they will settle some? I was thinking about 1/2" in the rear to keep it level. Still no interior, Tire on the rear carrier, No glass in the windshield, no radiator or coolant, lights.... Another note is that the rear springs are original to us getting this Bronco back in early 90's. Opinions?

Old 09/27/18, 07:40 AM   #5
ep67bro
Contributor
Bronco Junky

I used to have time!

EasternShore, MD

My Gallery
Garage
Looks like a great project, and the fact it was your dads and you have kids interested should keep you motivated. Get your self new rear springs. The new leaf packs will ride much better and the tuck will be level. I bet you have an add a leaf in a the rear now along with a lift block. New spring would eliminate that. Good luck with it keep us posted!

67, 289, NP-435, 3.5 lift,1"BL, 35s,custom bumpers, work always in progress.
75 uncut 302 C4, 3.5" lift, 31s, rust bucket
70 sport 302 3spd no lift NO RUST The Project!
ep67bro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/28/18, 04:40 AM   #6
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Think she's looking good.....

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/18, 07:21 AM   #7
svastano
Contributor

My Gallery
Garage
Dis-assembly started yesterday to get her down to the frame to put on: Hellwig Swaybars, rear disk brakes and paint the whole frame black.

Old 11/24/18, 02:46 PM   #8
svastano
Contributor

My Gallery
Garage
So it has been some time since I got something done on the Bronco but we had all the troops helping today. I had a friend over and the wife and 2 daughters so we made great progress! I think the photos will tell all but we got the body off, I want to repaint the frame black and I am adding Hellwig sway bars too. I will re- do brakes and brake lines. The underside of the body is getting Lizzard Skin heat shield. Motor and tranny are getting fully re-built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0157.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	465733   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0159.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	465734   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0161.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	465735   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0162.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	465736  

Name:	DSCN0166.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	465737   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0174.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	465738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0176.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	465739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0178.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	465740  

Old 11/24/18, 04:02 PM   #9
bronkenn
Contributor
Bronco Guru

I believe you, thousands wouldn't

Southeast Ohio
Love the team work, really helps out with extra hands.
bronkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/18, 02:58 PM   #10
svastano
Contributor

My Gallery
Garage
Here are more progress photos from this weekend. Got the motor completely disassembled and contacted a machine shop to check it over for me. Front main bearing on the crank is scored some. Got the from up to a better level for sanding and getting ready to paint. Also started installing the Hellwig swaybars. Rear done Hope to start on the front this coming weekend. I did have a question on frame paint. I was thinking the Black "hammered" look. I have painted a lot of cars but I have never used this product. How hard is it to use?

Old 12/05/18, 01:16 AM   #11
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
I would not think the Hammered stuff would be as finicky as the Wrinkle stuff, but I would certainly read all about it to make sure it does not have narrow temperature restrictions.
I think it should look great too!

Was the body supported by any bracing when you pulled it off the frame? Looks like it is now when it's on the stands, but wasn't sure about while you were lifting it.
Just double checking since it's so critical to not kinking the rocker panels and floor pan. Looks like, if anything, the molded-in and fully attached door inserts were holding it together in the center.

Love the pics of the Bronco and the family. Keep 'em coming as long as the project lasts.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/18, 04:38 AM   #12
svastano
Contributor

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDonk View Post

Was the body supported by any bracing when you pulled it off the frame? Looks like it is now when it's on the stands, but wasn't sure about while you were lifting it.
Just double checking since it's so critical to not kinking the rocker panels and floor pan. Looks like, if anything, the molded-in and fully attached door inserts were holding it together in the center.

Love the pics of the Bronco and the family. Keep 'em coming as long as the project lasts.

Paul
The body is all Fiberglass so not much weight and No I only had 4 eye bolts with large washers in the 4 center mounting holes to pick it up off the frame.

Thanks about the family photos! We have been working on projects together our entire time as a family. Making memories is the whole idea. Plus since I only have girls at least I know then when I am gone they know how to turn a wrench and repair shops will have a tougher time putting something over on them. At least I hope....
Old 12/05/18, 06:51 AM   #13
ford man
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Nothing run's like a Deere and have you driven a Ford latley

Leesburg, GA
eBay: ebbroncos

My Gallery
Garage
Cool Build if you want to sell them white wagon wheels I would be a player.
ford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/18, 07:18 AM   #14
svastano
Contributor

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man View Post
Cool Build if you want to sell them white wagon wheels I would be a player.
I will be selling them but you are quite a ways from Western PA.... PM me if you are really interested.
Old 01/05/19, 07:15 PM   #15
svastano
Contributor

My Gallery
Garage
Well Not much to report except.... Motor is at the Machine shop. We are going full rebuild. .020 over new pistons, polish the crank, Heads will get new valves, Valve springs, valve guides and any other machine work necessary. I finally started taking the dash apart so I can move the glovebox to clear the roll cage. I also am replacing the speedo head with a new one. Some photos:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0189.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	468456   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0197.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	468457   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0198.jpg
Views:	20