Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat > Vendor Forum & Current Mass Buys

Old 08/29/12, 02:50 PM   #31
GeoffatBestop

Our messages crossed mid stream. Not upset in the least. Not thin skinned, and also not really trying to rationalize or apologize for Bestop business plans. They is what they is, I just try to explain clearly and concisely. Well, clearly anyway.

---------------
I bought my Bronco, but have been on the road ever since. Hoping to get it on a trail this Sunday. Bought some parts from members here already, haven't even opened the boxes.

I really get into unique and weird vehicles. I've owned old Datsun Roadsters, plus Scouts, Jeepsters, ancient CJs -- right now I have an old Alfa Romeo Spider and the Scout in the "fun" side of the garage.

So I understand the passion. And the desire for easy to get parts.
GeoffatBestop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/12, 07:40 AM   #32
orangecrush4u
Bronco Guru

Shelter Island, NY

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush4u View Post
Would you consider making a soft top for the 78 79 bronco? I want won soo bad and nobody offers them.
Bump

72 74 79 93 so far
2008 sorta just a week early
2010 BYOB &Fall Cruise
2011 BYOB &Fall Cruise
2012 BYOB Break down
2012 MEB Gore meet broncoless though
2013 BYOB..Dave & Sean last show

http://top4x4sites.com/cgi-bin/arp/r...cgi?id=oldford[COLOR="Red"[/COLOR]
orangecrush4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/12, 08:51 AM   #33
GeoffatBestop

78-79 Top:

Ain't gonna happen.

Too few vehicles, and (sadly) getting smaller each year.

That's a better product for someone smaller and more nimble than us.

You may want to contact B-D Company in Denver and bug them. I believe they own the old patterns from Kaypro, and I think they're the ones who made that 78-79 top (I also may have totally scrambled all these facts).
Old 08/31/12, 09:37 AM   #34
Schenkapotomus

Covington, WA

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffatBestop View Post
White/replacement skins/custom stuff:

Not a chance in hell now, and not for foreseeable future.

That's nothing to do with lack of respect for Bronco community -- and everything to do with desperately trying to keep up with vastly increased demand in Wrangler world.
Is there a magic number for a custom run that makes this work for the business?

50, 100, 500, or 10,000?

Could we start a collection of names?
Schenkapotomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/12, 09:56 AM   #35
admin
Administrator

Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...

Phoenix, AZ

My Gallery
Garage
Wow Geoff! Thanks for the very frank and straight forward answers and insight. I can't believe your boss is letting you post like this but I for one appreciate the honesty.

Just understand it's not going to keep us from trying!

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Jon Hanna
webmaster@classicbroncos.com
http://ClassicBroncos.com
'72 Bronco, stock 302 2V, NP435 4 speed, Chevy discs, PS, 3 1/2" susp lift + 2" body lift, 33"x12.50-15 BFG KM2's, 4.11 gears (D44 and Ford 9")
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/12, 10:24 AM   #36
fatboy
Contributor
Glad to be here.

Bad decisions make for good stories.

Coastal NH

My Gallery
Welcome to the site. Unfortunately for us bronco guys and gals, Besttop equals Jeep. Just the way it is. Maybe you can talk the powers to be into creating a skunk works line where you service us small guys with special runs!

Life's a Journey Not a Guided Tour.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgment.

The Mutt

Village Idiot Build
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/31/12, 11:17 AM   #37
GeoffatBestop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenkapotomus View Post
Is there a magic number for a custom run that makes this work for the business?

50, 100, 500, or 10,000?

Could we start a collection of names?
Please DON'T start a collection of names. It'll do nothing but cause frustration for us all.

Custom runs and custom manufacturing is something we haven't done in years and years, but something a lot of the employee/enthusiasts here at HQ would like to get going again.

We watch the new, more flexible manufacturing methods. We pay attention to requests and chatter from places like this (and I absolutely do pass feedback along to product development).

But that's as far as it's going right now.

Brutally, bluntly honest: EB numbers (and 78/79) are really, really small. I think it says something about Bronco owners that so many awesome companies make things for our vehicles. Small in numbers, but very into it.
Old 09/10/12, 07:46 PM   #38
orangecrush4u
Bronco Guru

Shelter Island, NY

My Gallery
Quote:
78-79 Top:

Ain't gonna happen.

Too few vehicles, and (sadly) getting smaller each year.

That's a better product for someone smaller and more nimble than us.

You may want to contact B-D Company in Denver and bug them. I believe they own the old patterns from Kaypro, and I think they're the ones who made that 78-79 top (I also may have totally scrambled all these facts).
That kinda stinks, my truck is not going anywhere soon....
I really hope not and at the same time I hope in the next 10 years someone make a fiberglass or steel replacement tub......

72 74 79 93 so far
2010 BYOB &Fall Cruise
2011 BYOB &Fall Cruise
2012 BYOB Break down

Old 09/11/12, 03:40 AM   #39
sprdv1
Contributor
REBEL

Guess you better call the Whaaaambulance

Lees Summit-Missouri

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush4u View Post
That kinda stinks, my truck is not going anywhere soon....
I really hope not and at the same time I hope in the next 10 years someone make a fiberglass or steel replacement tub......
mmmmmmmmmm Nice Truck... my goodness.

sprdv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/12, 08:41 AM   #40
GeoffatBestop

You could loan that truck to me for a bit. I'll use it to make some patterns, and do a bit of, um, testing.

It's an amazing ride. Well done.

But you KNOW how rare you are.
Old 09/13/12, 02:32 AM   #41
orangecrush4u
Bronco Guru

Shelter Island, NY

My Gallery
Thanks, there are a handfull around here on the island. IF you were closer I would, prob cost me thousands to get the truck there

72 74 79 93 so far
2010 BYOB &Fall Cruise
2011 BYOB &Fall Cruise
2012 BYOB Break down

Old 09/17/12, 01:36 PM   #42
xcntrk
Bronco Guru

NOVA

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
The general rule for inquiries into things like colors and custom manufacturing is to sort of smile, and say stuff like "take it into consideration."

Since I've only posted twice here, it would most likely be smartest for me to just sort of stick to that.

So here it is: "Bestop always appreciates input from customers, especially those of you who are true enthusiasts. Our Bronco product line is really a part of our ongoing efforts to help you keep fantastic vehicles on the road. We're a small enough company that I can easily get your feedback to the right places, and I will always do that. Keep those comments coming!

See? Vague promises, no real action. Compliment you on your vehicles, to try and turn the conversation back around.

But, you know, kinda crap.

If you want a tiny bit more insight, I can give it to you. This gives you the opportunity to beat up on me a bit. Pick apart my arguments and points. We can have fun!

OK then:

Keep in mind that our head sales guy would put a price tag on his mother's walker and sell that if he could make a profit. There's no strategy/brand loyalty/snobbery going on here. It's just profits.

We dropped a lot of the legacy colors simple due to demand. Or lack thereof.

YOU think it's a huge demand, because you know lots of people in the clubs and forums. But it's small. The entire Bronco market is small, and gets (sadly) smaller each year.

Black is one SKU, and it takes care of 80+ percent of the demand (a bit lower than that for old school stuff, probably, but higher for newer Wranglers - they really prefer black).

Why is it hard to create additional SKUs? Well, we don't sell direct. So we need to make a bunch of anything to "fill the pipeline" - stock the retailers, warehouses, etc.

And, we need to dedicate very precious manufacturing time and space.

It means we really need big, fast moving SKUs.

True, this means we're nowhere near as nimble as other vendors. That's a competitive disadvantage to any large company, not just ours. Colgate can't make premium soap and get it into every store nationwide very quickly or easily. So a local hippie can make it for the farmers market and maybe do well (in this analogy, our competition is the dirty hippie -- just a little joke!)

Custom manufacturing:

I personally would love this. I really push for this.

It would be AWESOME to be able to order a top in your color and fabric. Maybe get a custom embroidered tag.

But right now we're not keeping up with the demand for TJ and JK tops. We released a couple of new generation tops last year, and demand caught us flatfooted. It's one reason I'm hiding out here instead of spending time on WranglerForum.

Suggesting something like complicated custom work right now? Won't get listened to. We need to get a better handle on our core business, which is late model Wrangler tops.

Skin only: We're more open to that now than in the past. We sell the skins for other Jeep tops. I need to get a better answer for why we don't for Broncos.

Cheers!

PS:
Picked up my Bronco today. 1976. Fuel injected 5.0 from a truck. Really well built. 4 speed. No rust. Bad, but serviceable paint job.

Needs sliders and lockers, and I want to go from 33's to 35's.

Let's hope it passes emissions tomorrow (Boulder County, Colorado).
I want one of your Supertops for an EB in SPICE! But as you say here, sounds like that will never happen....

I have your highback bucket seats, love them... No matching top to go with them...

No Bronco
xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/12, 08:22 PM   #43
JustaJake

Bronc Donkey, heehaw

Nor-Cal

My Gallery
I wont buy a Bestop now!

I had been planning to purchase a Bestop for my Bronco, but after reading through this thread. I will not. The company could probably sell off the system and patterns, release themselves from the "burden" of servicing such a "small" market. Another manufacturer could probably take care of this market much better and make a couple bucks doing it.
#Corporatefail
JustaJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/17, 05:10 PM   #44
DevilDog

Virginia
So just to be clear, we still can't get a replacement skin in black? That doesn't really seem to make sense, as the black full top is readily available with hardware. What Bestop is saying, is not that we can't make one for you, we are just unwilling to sell it to you without overcharging you, even though you have already purchased the full package previously.

This isn't bad customer service, it is a complete lack of ethical business practices. Has anyone found a suitable replacement for Bestops that does offer replacement skins?

Bluegrass powered '72 w/ 302/3 spd, 2" BL/3.5 SL, 35x12.50 mudders
DevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/17, 08:58 PM   #45
DevilDog

Virginia
Sent Bestop an email and they replied that if you call in, they will sell you just the skin.

Bluegrass powered '72 w/ 302/3 spd, 2" BL/3.5 SL, 35x12.50 mudders
DevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat > Vendor Forum & Current Mass Buys