• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 problem

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
Bought this bronco. was supposed to have just had a rebuilt tranny according to paperwork. And this is what I find.

Can this be fixed? Or do I need to get a new housing. The shop I generally use said new housing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 201

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I don't think on a street truck it will effect anything. On a trail rig. Maybe. I think you will need a new case. Viperwolf will know for sure

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I doubt you would have an issue, the transfer case adapter can't move sideways since it is located by the governor support. Right now whats left is still strong aluminium. Welding on it may give you better bolt support but the rest of the case in that area will be turned into dead soft aluminium. If you have an issue, it will break the seal and start dripping then I would worry about it. In the meantime search for a replacement pan fill truck case, wrap it in plastic and keep it in the garage in case you ever need it. The fact that a transmission shop used orange silicone on everything shows they didn't care to assemble this thing properly. If you have any other reason to go into the tranny then I would replace the case.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It could be fixed but not while it's all together. If you have it apart you might as well just get a new case. Probably cheaper than the welding. If it seems to hold together well like that I wouldn't be in a rush to replace it.

OP
OP
G

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
I can get a rebuilt AOD tranny for a good price out of 5.0 explorer. Would I be able to slip that in pretty seamlessly or since it was in explorer would it need a computer to work? Sorry I'm pretty dumb when it comes to automatic transmissions. Any help here is really appreciated. I guess my question is. What do I need to make those trannys work for me on my 302?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
the crappy part is the bronco was literally picked up from the tranny shop, who claims to just have rebuilt the tranny...i havent even put any miles on it yet...it was flat bed trailered and this is what i find...they wont fess up to anything or help me out even though it hasnt been driven and was picked up from their shop

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I can get a rebuilt AOD tranny for a good price out of 5.0 explorer. Would I be able to slip that in pretty seamlessly or since it was in explorer would it need a computer to work? Sorry I'm pretty dumb when it comes to automatic transmissions. Any help here is really appreciated. I guess my question is. What do I need to make those trannys work for me on my 302?

It's not a bolt up because the OD trannies are longer. IIRC you have to relocate the T-Case and bracket reward and I believe you have to get a new front drive shaft. I think there is enough room on the rear driveshaft for it to compress down some to take up the slack of moving the T-case rearward.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.

If you want to run an AOD or 4R70w(Explorer trans), they both bolt up to your 302, but that's about it. You'll need an adapter to couple it to the D20 ($600), fab a new rear cross member, change front and rear drive shaft lengths, and If you go with the 4R70w (Explorer trans), you'll need a separate comp. controller to shift it($600), and some type of shifter. Fun ain't cheap.

I'm with Viper, I wouldn't be in a rush to fix or replace it.

Mark

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you tried calling the place that fixed it and give them a resounding "uhhhhhmm"?

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I see besides the broken case, they used silicone to seal it to the adapter, instead of using a gasket.

OP
OP
G

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
I have called them. They said they used "used" parts. However no one authorized that. So now they are refusing to help me out. I have tried to reason with these people and to no avail. I'm really at a loss on how to proceed.

wepuckett

Might have to get previous owner involved if he is the one that took it there as any waranty would be through him.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I'm sorry but there is little chance that that shop will do anything for you at all. If you told them you bought if from the previous owner you are probably stuck with it. This is why I tell people to have a person who really knows Broncos to look at them. I don't know what your level of mechanical skill is but to yank it out and put new seals in we are not looking at a ton of money. I did a similar thing with a 66. Was told motor was rebuilt ended up grenading in a month. Lesson learned for me as well. Most of us have do this It may be cheaper to find a quality used one off CL and swap it in

Oh ps if you end up getting that shop to fix it please let us all know. If they are using a clear silicone instead of Rtv might give you a ideal of there competence. Lot you have the money have viperwolf build you one they are well done

OP
OP
G

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
I paid for the work as part of the payment for the Bronco. They are just being rediculous and it's really pissing me off. I paid the shop directly.

OP
OP
G

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
I picked up the bronco from the shop with the previous owner. Paid the guys.

The garunteed their work prior to me paying them. Once I found the problem I called them (4 days later) and I hadnt even driven it. Then they say they used "used" parts so it's not their problem. This is gonna turn into a legal issue. Just want to avoid that.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I paid for the work as part of the payment for the Bronco. They are just being rediculous and it's really pissing me off. I paid the shop directly.

I would say that makes you their customer not the previous owner. Most shops that conduct business like this take a pretty good push or threat of legal action to get anything out of them. Did you sign a waiver of any sort? How did you pay? I would get an idea of what a case will run you and just go after them for that amount. Chances are if you try to force them to pull the tranny and swap the case you are going to end up with a shit rebuild which you may already have.

I wouldn't want a shop like that working on my vehicle. It may be best just to try and get a couple hundred out of them and just plan on pulling and repairing it at some point in the future.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Then they say they used "used" parts so it's not their problem.

As in the stock case and hard parts? Well what else would you use? Definitely sounds like these guys are jerking you around and trying to avoid paying for their mistake.

How much was the bill if you don't mind?