• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best EFI set up

Rolltide

Loc.
Enterprise, AL
Gents- doing my 72 rebuild. I'm dropping in a 1969 351w and considering an efi set up. I've found several threads discussing installation issues but no threads dedicated to the best efi set up.

Any ideas? Thanks
Zach

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Everyone has their own criteria for "best". ;) For a stock or mostly stock 351W, the general consensus seems to be that an all-Ford factory-based EFI setup is the way to go. I share that opinion, for the most part, but there are some easy bolt-on systems from the likes of Howell and others that are good solutions too.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
If you're going SEFI, you might want to consider the firing order of the cam before you make a decision. A 302 firing order might 'work' with a SEFI system designed for a 5.0 / 351w, but it won't be optimal.

I'd go with the Explorer harness / ECU and have EFI Guy work his magic on it, second choice would be a Mustang EEC-IV system.

drock

How about an aftermarket TBI style "kit" like the Edelbrock E-Street or the MSD EFI kit? I know they are pricey but all new parts and can be done in a day.

ryan287

Loc.
Orange County, CA
I am rebuilding my 393w stroker to be a 427w. I previously had an Edelbrock Proflo Efi, but it is now dated (narrow band O2, etc). I have been researching high performance after market on hot rod forums (SB Ford, ford muscle, etc) and the concensus is that multi port efi is more efficient and can produce more power than throttle body based injectors.

I am going to scavenge my mpfi manifold and throttle body from my previous set up, and go with a Holley HP computer and harness. I'm running 10.5:1 compression and want a precision system with spark and fuel... going as far as a crank trigger wheel. I plan on over 520hp. I looked at FAST, MegaSquirt, Edelbrock, Motec, AEM; the Holley was very comprehensive (even has knock sensor capability) and very reasonably priced.

With so many people happy with Ford efi I don't think you can go wrong. If you are building a performance engine aftermarket has better options. The set up and installation of the aftermarket stuff seems simpler to me.

Good luck,

nlped

I'm doing a 418W using the ford lightning tubular intake, A9L ecu and rjm harness.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have been researching high performance after market on hot rod forums (SB Ford, ford muscle, etc) and the concensus is that multi port efi is more efficient and can produce more power than throttle body based injectors.

Out of idle curiosity more than anything else....do you have any links to what supports that conclusion? I've yet to see much of anything that shows any significant measured (dyno) power difference between carbs, TBI or MPI..

I've been building/using all three for almost 4 decades now; the highest HP motors I've built were carbureted...but unfortunately those do poorly on trail rigs compared to any EFI option.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Remember one thing that you might not have thought of...aftermarket support.

This doesn't mean for the first two weeks after the sale with tech support...

I mean 5-10 years down the road or longer.

I bought a Holley setup a looong time ago... Pro-jection. (remember, this was the only aftermarket option back then) Aftermarket support was dropped to the point that they wouldn't supply parts for it anymore... if you're keeping your rig for a while this might be worth considering...

Everybody updates...how often do you want to spend another thousand (Pro-jection upgrade is 2,000 bucks) or more to keep it current....IF you can get the parts down the road.

My .02 is all. I sold my fuel injection way before anybody else was putting SEFI on Broncos... someday I'll go back to EFI... :)

kntr

Bronco Guru
I'm going through the same dilemma right now. I want to build a stoker with fuel injection and cant decide on FAST or OEM mustang setup with a tuner.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
I'm going through the same dilemma right now. I want to build a stoker with fuel injection and cant decide on FAST or OEM mustang setup with a tuner.

I have one of the 1st gen FAST setups and I am going to echo what someone said above. What about 5-10 years from now for parts and tuning??

My original builder/tuner is out of business and I had a hard time finding anyone willing/capable of tuning it when I ran into some issues.

If I were doing it again I'd stay FORD all the way. Parts are plentiful and good tuners readily available.

edit:
Remember one thing that you might not have thought of...aftermarket support.

This doesn't mean for the first two weeks after the sale with tech support...

I mean 5-10 years down the road or longer.

I bought a Holley setup a looong time ago... Pro-jection. (remember, this was the only aftermarket option back then) Aftermarket support was dropped to the point that they wouldn't supply parts for it anymore... if you're keeping your rig for a while this might be worth considering...

Everybody updates...how often do you want to spend another thousand (Pro-jection upgrade is 2,000 bucks) or more to keep it current....IF you can get the parts down the road.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I'm a huge fan of MegaSquirt with the Ford and GM sensors. You can get the parts anywhere, you put it together to so you know it well and you can tune it yourself. There is also a world wide forum of people using it so you can tips and trick and even download tunes. I plan to add a blower and see how far I can take the stock 289 engine using MS as the ECU.

ryan287

Loc.
Orange County, CA
Out of idle curiosity more than anything else....do you have any links to what supports that conclusion? I've yet to see much of anything that shows any significant measured (dyno) power difference between carbs, TBI or MPI..

I've been building/using all three for almost 4 decades now; the highest HP motors I've built were carbureted...but unfortunately those do poorly on trail rigs compared to any EFI option.

Multi port fuel injection can be set up sequentially, meaning the only ECU has the injector squirt fuel in very close to the head intake runner on the downstroke before compression on an individual cylinder basis, not as a batch at the throttle body like TBA. This saves fuel.

Most of the performance information has been gathered through calling up the EFI engineers at Holley and Edelbrock. The Motec headquarters is by my house, so I stopped in to talk to them even though their stuff is like $6-10k serious racing stuff. The guy couldn't have been nicer... spent like an hour talking to me. Everybody said the same thing; the injectors are closer to the cylinder, so the atomization and density of the fuel is better than TBI. You can even go farther and individually tune each injector for each runner flow characteristic using exhaust gas temp (egt) and individual wide band O2 sensors on each header exhaust port.

I'm in the midst of going to a Holley HP efi from my old Edelbrock Proflo, so I've been obsessively researching.

OP
OP
Rolltide

Rolltide

Loc.
Enterprise, AL
Great tips guys, thanks. I think I like the lightning setup. I've heard from several folks that the mustang electronics were a good option. I'll report back in a month or so with the results.

Now if I can just with the stuff I need off eBay I'll be in business.:)

mavereq

Bronco Guru
I'm running the FAST EZ EFI and have been really happy with it so far. I had a truck avenger on my 408 and it dynoed really well but now it cranks up first turn without touching the pedal.

kntr

Bronco Guru
I'm running the FAST EZ EFI and have been really happy with it so far. I had a truck avenger on my 408 and it dynoed really well but now it cranks up first turn without touching the pedal.

How long have you have the FAST EZ EFI on your bronco?
Is it a set and forget or are you messing with it a lot?