• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VIN for 1/2 Cab /,pickup

Tonyduc

I’ve seen a few 1/2 cabs (aka pickups) advertised now but with U15 VINs,,aren’t they supposed to be U14? If the roof on the pickup is metal can I assume it’s an original pickup? I know there are some aftermarket fiberglass roofs.
Thanks
Tony

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The VIN on the 'half cabs' began with U14. There's many original metal half tops that have been installed on 'U15's or the wagon or full top. The original tops were all steel.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I’ve seen a few 1/2 cabs (aka pickups) advertised now but with U15 VINs,,aren’t they supposed to be U14? If the roof on the pickup is metal can I assume it’s an original pickup? I know there are some aftermarket fiberglass roofs.
Thanks
Tony

if it was originally a half cab yes the VIN would start with U14, but you can certainly add a bulkhead and a half top to a U15 and call it a truck :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
U13, U14, U15 indicates how it was built at the factory. U14 is the pickup (half cab) variant.

Metal roof is a factory part, fiberglass aftermarket. I believe the repop metal roof is now available but they are a relatively new item and you won't see them on the used truck market right now.

So what you are looking at is a Bronco that started life as a wagon. And sometime in the past 40-50 years someone unbolted the wagon roof and bolted on the pickup roof.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
So this is a local one I’m looking at https://utica.craigslist.org/cto/6669379163.html, he said it had a metal roof, did Ford sell a metal roof as an option to convert to the pickup? There’s another U15 on eBay and he says it has both the wagon roof and rare bulkhead + half roof option.

The full cab and the half cab from Ford were steel. Some of the things in his ad are of question though.

$17000 or best reasonable offer.

91k (I believe to be original). Good shape, uncut (fenders), starts right up and runs good, slight rust on drivers rocker side which is normal for its age. Color is Caribbean Teal. everything works; front window folds down (like old jeeps), rear defrost even works. Cap (Roof) is removable.

These trucks are getting harder and harder to finder in good shape and in this condition.

Please call or text before 9pm.

Serious inquiries only and CASH or Certified bank check only.

The front window may fold down, but it's not a early model windshield that will latch if you do fold it down, there's no latch, the wiper is in the way, it's a later model windshield frame. No bronco came with rear defrost, not sure what he's referring to. If it matters, the tailgate, headlight rings, front bumper, seat belts, seats, wipers, air cleaner, mirrors are not 66'............... it's Caribbean Turquoise not teal. I don't think he knows much about what he has, and he's asking too much imo.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It started life as a U15. if it was a U14 pickup the bed rails were not drilled all the way down the side.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So this is a local one I’m looking at https://utica.craigslist.org/cto/6669379163.html, he said it had a metal roof, did Ford sell a metal roof as an option to convert to the pickup? There’s another U15 on eBay and he says it has both the wagon roof and rare bulkhead + half roof option.

Paint so fresh the hood bumper stuck to the hood.
It is correct in it still has the '66 only master cylinder.
Fresh seat upholstery, in the wrong color.
Bedliner in old trucks is almost always a way to hide bad things.
Between fresh paint and bed liner expect a ton of hidden rust to blister through in a short time.

There is something weird with that top. The corners of the back window are rounded. Pretty sure they should be square.

That looks to be an old tired bronco that got a fresh coat of lipstick and mascara and is being flipped for a fast profit. Cosmeticly enhanced, mechanically I expect that is a basket case.

Did you notice the door hinges are different colors on left and right sides? The poorly placed shims behind the driver's side door hinge?
How about the bungee cord holding the battery in.

This is not a ready to drive project. It is an expensive start to a huge can of worms project.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Me thinks that's a full cab top cut down with some kinda pick up rear cab n class worked in.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Paint so fresh the hood bumper stuck to the hood.
It is correct in it still has the '66 only master cylinder.
Fresh seat upholstery, in the wrong color.
Bedliner in old trucks is almost always a way to hide bad things.
Between fresh paint and bed liner expect a ton of hidden rust to blister through in a short time.

There is something weird with that top. The corners of the back window are rounded. Pretty sure they should be square.

That looks to be an old tired bronco that got a fresh coat of lipstick and mascara and is being flipped for a fast profit. Cosmeticly enhanced, mechanically I expect that is a basket case.

Did you notice the door hinges are different colors on left and right sides? The poorly placed shims behind the driver's side door hinge?
How about the bungee cord holding the battery in.

This is not a ready to drive project. It is an expensive start to a huge can of worms project.

agreed...painted turd...find a local member to go look at it with you (if you must), but if you have that much money to spend, wait for one that's worth it. Watch the CB classifieds and enjoy the hunt! ;)

OP
OP
T

Tonyduc

I have seen the term "bulkhead" used when talking about the pickup version. Is that a support in place of the top when the full top is removed or is that large vertical wall separater between the cab and the short bed?

I have seen that yellow 66 on eBay with the top completely removed, just wondering if that effects the structural integrity of the vehicle or if they are built to be driven with no top at all. He also mentions there's a bulkhead included with the half top. Is an actual E14 built with the bulkhead and is the short top removable also with an E14?

Thanks, last time we had a Bronco was in the early 1970's and back then I didn't really have an eye for these things!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Bulkhead is the panel that separates the cab from the bed. Yes the were standard and yes you can drive them without a top on them. U14 not E14

Bronco in question began life as a U15.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Here’s some info about the configurations...
2cbec4d9abd849343024c3f335739b00.jpg

ab744fdfd117967c70bd84ff76182d47.jpg

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There was also a ranch wagon / delivery wagon with full top and bulkhead behind the front seats to prevent bed contents from sliding forward into the seats.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
There was also a ranch wagon / delivery wagon with full top and bulkhead behind the front seats to prevent bed contents from sliding forward into the seats.

According to the text, the bulkhead was “Standard on all models except when optional rear seat was specified”. If that’s the case, the “Bronco Wagon” that is pictured is what many refer to as a “Delivery Model”, or “Ranch Wagon”. Anyway, I’m digressing.